cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Confused 1/2ton or 3/4ton ?

Michiganmetzger
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at purchasing our first tt and confused by all the different responses as to what truck we should get to tow it. It has a UVWR of 5295 lbs hitch weight of 635lbs. Most are saying to go with a 3/4 ton yet the 1/2 ton is rated to 7000 lbs. So I'm asking you towing veterans what would you use?

Thank you
57 REPLIES 57

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have one of those unicorns. Got it in 2017, when my dealer here in VA, found 4 up in PA. I was able to get one of them.

It's an XLT Supercab with 8' bed, 4x4. It has a 2246# pay load capacity, and 4800# rear axle and the Ecoboost engine.

All that said, should I be forced to replace my current truck, I'd almost for sure get a F250 XLT Crewcab with 6.2 gasser. Roughly comparably equipped F150 w/ HDPP and F250 6.2L truck are within about 1,000 dollars.

seaeagle2 wrote:
For the uninformed a Ford HDPP is also known as a "unicorn", very few and far between, usually custom ordered. From 2010 to 2014 you could tell them by the 7 lug wheels. Bottom line is pay load on door sticker minus passengers and gear in truck plus any equipment not installed by manufacturer, ie running boards, canopy. That number is what you have left for hitch weight, (the actual hitch weight not the random dry weight number from the trailer mfgr brochure).
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
For the uninformed a Ford HDPP is also known as a "unicorn", very few and far between, usually custom ordered. From 2010 to 2014 you could tell them by the 7 lug wheels. Bottom line is pay load on door sticker minus passengers and gear in truck plus any equipment not installed by manufacturer, ie running boards, canopy. That number is what you have left for hitch weight, (the actual hitch weight not the random dry weight number from the trailer mfgr brochure).
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
burningman wrote:

There are plenty of half tons that will tow that trailer, but a 3/4 ton will do it better and be a safer better stronger setup. Thatโ€™s just how it is.
If you want better, safer, stronger, why aren't you using a Class 8 for your load? Seems like you just settled for Good Enough; just like the people that use a half ton within its ratings.
There is no end to "better, safer, stronger"; that's where common sense and reasonableness comes in.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
burningman wrote:
Something important to point out: the old (and ridiculous) argument that some particular half-ton has the same or higher payload as a 3/4 ton is a meaningless paper statistic.

Good luck getting that point across, which is about as valid as valid can be, especially on an RV forum and maybe even more so on this particular one LOL.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Anniewhereugo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, very timely post. I have a 1999 suburban k1500 4x4 w/350 5.7 engine. I had a small Prowler Linx at 3500 dry weight and 5500 GVR. I pulled it easily. I just upgraded to a Keystone passport ultra lite 199 at 3605 dry weight (it has a slide so a little more room) and when I have it all packed and loaded with water, dog show stuff and hubby probably right around 5500. I would not want to pull more than that, but I have to go through 2 huge coastal mountain ranges and a vicious grade just to get out to civilization, so if you are pulling mostly flat, a little more would probably be okay. Good luck and have fun. If I were buying another truck it would be a 3/4 ton, but not a 2007 chevy classic. Had one and it was a piece of chit.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Something important to point out: the old (and ridiculous) argument that some particular half-ton has the same or higher payload as a 3/4 ton is a meaningless paper statistic.
The half tons are rated toward the top of their real mechanical abilities.
3/4 and one-tons are vastly underrated. Their published payloads are artificially manipulated to fit certain licensing classes, not by their mechanical ability.
The sticker may say it hasnโ€™t got more capacity, but thatโ€™s just paper shuffling.
There are plenty of half tons that will tow that trailer, but a 3/4 ton will do it better and be a safer better stronger setup. Thatโ€™s just how it is.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michiganmetzger wrote:
MNGeeks is correct it is the mossy oak 23rls the gvrw is not listed anywhere.Possibly in the neighborhood of 6300lbs? Truck payload? my wife and myself and gear 1500lbs probably less.

Truck payload is listed on the tire / loading sticker (on drivers door post) of every truck. Depending on frame, wheels, tires, axles, gears, suspension, brakes, cab configuration, installed options, etc, every truck has it's own payload and towing capacity. That is why you'll find a few 1/2 ton trucks with payload just as high as some 3/4 ton trucks. Not all F150's are created equal, and not all F250's are created equal. Same goes for trucks built by General Motors, Chrysler, Toyota, and Nissan. There are 1/2 ton trucks capable of towing your trailer, there are more 3/4 ton's that are also capable. You need to look at each and every one to determine what works for you.

When you go truck shopping, open the drivers door and check the loading sticker for a "max occupant / cargo weight" number. That is that particular truck's payload. It is it's capacity to carry everything (including hitch equipment and trailer tongue weight) and everybody you put in it or on it.

Forget about advertised max tow capacity numbers. Those numbers don't include passengers or cargo. That's NOT how people go camping. In the real world, as you add weight to the tow vehicle (people, pets, aftermarket accessories, etc), it's available payload AND it's towing capacity are reduced pound for pound.

Now look at the trailer's UVW. That is the empty weight as the trailer left the factory. The dealer is going to add a few things, making the trailer heavier, before you get it. Then you are going to add dishes, pots and pans, bedding, cleaning gear, camping gear, BBQ, and groceries. On average, when the trailer is ready to go camping, it weighs about 1000 lbs more than it's UVW.

Average tongue weight is 12 - 13 percent of loaded trailer weight. It is not a constant number. It goes up and down during every trip, and at times could be up to 15 percent.

Examples:

Say the truck has 7000 tow capacity and 1400 lbs of payload. If you add 600 lbs of people and cargo, the truck now has 800 lbs of payload available and 6400 lbs of tow capacity.

Say the trailer weighs 5500 lbs (UVW) and you add an average load of 1000 lbs, it now weighs 6500 lbs and has between 780 and 975 lbs of tongue weight. Add 100 (average) lbs of hitch equipment and your trailer would need over 1000 lbs of available payload to tow this. The truck in example above was advertised to have 7000 lb tow capacity, but, with passengers and cargo, it no longer has the payload or tow capacity for this camper.

Here's a calculator that may help.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
from experience go 3/4 ton

our TT is 33foot and approx 7500lbs loaded to camp and cat scaled

towed it for about 4 months after we bought it with my trusty f150 5.4l gasser

bought a f250 gasser last october.

have towed it about 5k miles since with the f250
world of difference. great balanced rig.

my advice forget the numbers and go 3/4 ton.. nobody ever complains about having too much truck and with the fords you can get a f250 for comparable and at times cheaper prices than the f150s

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
BenK wrote:
Part of the thread that 3/4 ton and 1 ton are basically the same is that they often have the same RGAWR and the difference is only known to the design engineering team...that they will never tell the public...

Going from 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton, almost nothing is the same other than being vaguely similar looking.

Going from 3/4 ton to 1 ton (single rear wheel)...historically they are identical except for the spring packs are heavier duty in the 1 ton. Go check the part numbers for the suspensions and axles. There is no hidden design team.

There are two exceptions:
- Duallies have completely different rear axle/suspensions.
- Some of the newest trucks (last 2-3yrs) are different rear suspensions (Ram 2500 has coil springs but 3500 has leaf)
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Explorer II
Explorer II
Price a F150HD with over 2500lb payload and a F250 with 3000+lb payload. Why pay more for less? Furthermore, the F150HD is special order whereas the F250 is sitting on the lot ready to go. Your call
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Michiganmetzger
Explorer
Explorer
MNGeeks is correct it is the mossy oak 23rls the gvrw is not listed anywhere.Possibly in the neighborhood of 6300lbs? Truck payload? my wife and myself and gear 1500lbs probably less.

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP. Just from a trailer weight and itโ€™s TW point of view either will do the job. But you must consider how much additional weight will be added to the TV and itโ€™s location. While I would have no qualms with loading a HD 1/2 to its GVWR when hauling a load, they become more sensitive to loading when towing due to lighter weight. Best case would be if most of the additional load is persons added forward to the cab. If you need to stay in a 1/2 ton (class 2A) get the longest wheelbase thatโ€™s practical for you. Fordโ€™s 164 in. WB HD super cab would be as good as it gets in that class. If you need to load a lot of weight to the bed along with TW then consider going up to a class 2B. The 3/4 ton (class 2B) will be more stable in this configuration due too increased front axle weight even if itโ€™s rated payload is lower than the HD 1/2. The 3/4 ton diesel may sacrifice payload rating but the extra weight is in the right place to give a substantial advantage in maintaining towing stability.
2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
mhamershock wrote:
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Here are some payload numbers I Googled for Ford trucks for comparison:
2018 F150 payload: 1485 - 2311 lbs.
2018 F250 payload: 3288 - 4315 lbs
With the trailer weight and truck payload somewhat up in the air, draw your own conclusions as to which would be the safer route to go for the OP.

Those numbers are ****. I saw lots of F250s (SCREW diesels) with under 2500 lb payload on the lot when I was shopping. And there are F150s with over 3000 lb payload. Heck, my 18 F150 has 2410 lb payload and would tow the OPs trailer with ease. It has no problems with my 32', 8500 lb hauler.

Mike

Bypassing Google, I went back and looked up the numbers in an F150 brochure. The payload numbers went from 1640 - 3270 lbs. The top payload F150 of 3270 lbs is with the 5.0 l engine, regular cab and a wheelbase of 141.1โ€. My apologies to your truck.
FWIW, I think half-ton trucks are cute. ๐Ÿ™‚
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Weird, this topic never comes up on here......
You can get any number of 1/2 tons that will tow that trailer smartly and safely, but you're right. There are many considerations.
One consideration being your lack of experience with towing, which given the option, having a HD truck chassis, will provide a more stable ride and a greater factor of safety.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mhamershock
Explorer
Explorer
Mortimer Brewster wrote:
Here are some payload numbers I Googled for Ford trucks for comparison:
2018 F150 payload: 1485 - 2311 lbs.
2018 F250 payload: 3288 - 4315 lbs
With the trailer weight and truck payload somewhat up in the air, draw your own conclusions as to which would be the safer route to go for the OP.

Those numbers are ****. I saw lots of F250s (SCREW diesels) with under 2500 lb payload on the lot when I was shopping. And there are F150s with over 3000 lb payload. Heck, my 18 F150 has 2410 lb payload and would tow the OPs trailer with ease. It has no problems with my 32', 8500 lb hauler.

Mike