cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Creaky Floor

Camper117
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 6 month old Reflection by Grand Desogn. I am scheduled to take it in for service Monday. One of the issues is that the floor creaks, and I mean loudly when you walk across it., It is so bad that when I walk around in the living room, wy wife can hear it in the bedroom with the door closed. And you can hear it outside. Is this something that can be fixed? It would seem to me that it would take some major work, like removing the flooring and maybe the sub-floor to fix the problem. Any thoughts?
8 REPLIES 8

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
I had squeaky steps to the bedroom also. Pulled the steps and found out it was coming apart, broken wood supports. The 5th wheel was still new. I rebuilt the steps entirely with stronger heavier supports.

Happy_Prospecto
Explorer
Explorer
We had a squeaky floor on the steps going up to the bedroom, after much fussing around I found out it was my knees.
Kevin
Retired, Fulltime RV'er, 1999.5 F350 4X4 CC Diesel Flatbed
2007 Alpenlite Defender Toyhauler, 2019 Polaris Ranger
Bob, the Yorkie Terrier helping me prospect til the money runs out

leeper
Explorer
Explorer
Being it is as loud as you say it is, you don't want to do as they say in New Jersey, "just forget about it". Stay after the dealer. It can effect your ability to resale it later.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You are not alone. Near as I can make it the creaking is because a screw holding the subfloor to the frame is loose. The subfloor really should be glued & screwed but that costs extra in material & labour so it is not.

The fix is going to involve pulling the carpet or floor covering. Not an easy job since in manufacture that goes down before anything else.

I have resolved to ignore the creak & deal with it if the day ever comes when the carpet is replaced.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous TT had no squeaks in 3 seasons. Our current 5er, going on 4 seasons, has a couple that come and go. But they weren't there until after we had used it for a couple seasons. If it were me and I had that many squeaks I'd call GD and have them fix it. I can see getting one or two over a period of years. But to have a trailer that squeaks that bad and be that new isn't right. GD needs to make it right.
Call GD and tell them of your problem.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous trailer floor creaked in a certain location, but only when walked on in that specific location.
But, only in cold weather. When it was warm outside or when we cranked up the heat, it stopped.
I fiddled with it from underneath a number of times, but couldn't fix it. Gave up.
Let the dealer fix it. But make him walk on it so he can experience the situation.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
My previous TT (Springdale) creaked when walking across the floor from the first day we saw it. 8 years later when we sold it, it still creaked. Never an issue. Just lived with it. But then ... I grew up on true ... REAL hardwood floors and creaking was normal. So, I really never ever thought about the trailer creaking either.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Camper117 wrote:
Any thoughts?

With a 6 month old rig that's still under warranty? - it's not your problem. Leave it up to the dealer to resolve, you'll have plenty of time later to anguish about this if he's not able to correct the issue and you have to get involved in a long drawn out process of convincing the manufacturer to come up with a viable solution. Forget about it, for now. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380