cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealers not wanting to do warranty work.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Handyman Service in our area. It is a one man operation that fills a void in our small community. I do RV repairs when called among all the other stuff I do. There is no RV dealer of any kind in our area, the closest is over an hour away, if you know the roads. We are on the west side of Table Rock Lake, a vacation destination for RVs as well as weekenders. I was called upon by a weekender that has his Forrest River product setting on a site here. They had a skylight leaking. It was cracked, the unit was 2 months out of warranty. The selling dealer is out of business, they had no one to turn to. I suggested they call the manufacture, and see if they could help or at least let us know how to get a new skylight. Forrest River stepped up and said they would not only send us the parts at no cost they would pay the labor for them. We all thought that was fantastic. I got all the info to send them the bill. I promptly sent Forrest River an invoice for the labor by email, and received a confirmation. 4 weeks had gone by, no check. I sent a reminder, Forrest River replied "Our payment terms for checks are NET 60 from the date of receipt of invoice which would put you at about 1/14/14. Or by ACH we pay NET 30, if you would like the payment sooner via ACH Iโ€™ve attached the necessary form. The work was completed on 10/31/13, I could send them all my bank account information if I wanted to get it sooner. I will be damned if I am going to send any one my bank account information. It is no wonder no one wants to work on anything the factories have to pay for. If I had to by parts and provide labor to them interest free for 60 days, I don't want to do the work either!!
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore
35 REPLIES 35

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
ohiopicker wrote:
eHoefler wrote:
The work was completed on 10/31/13, I could send them all my bank account information if I wanted to get it sooner. I will be damned if I am going to send any one my bank account information. It is no wonder no one wants to work on anything the factories have to pay for. If I had to by parts and provide labor to them interest free for 60 days, I don't want to do the work either!!

You said: I will be damned if I am going to send any one my bank account information.

You send this information every time you send someone a check. Your check has the bank's routing number and your acct. number on it.
Yep, your check info is out there for anyone that happens to be in the chain from repairman, to his bookkeeper, maybe her kids, to their bank, then the bank routing system, back to your bank. By the time it gets back lots of people have your bank account information.
โ€œAll journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.โ€

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
And if you cash a check,,, The info appears on the back side of the check (Printed by your bank) so Forest River gets it anyway, if they want it.

No biggie.. When you get to the point of social security you have to give it to them as well.... My policy is send cash or money order if it's a company I do NOT want to have that info (Cash in person only) but with a company like Forest River I'd not have a direct deposit problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

ohiopicker
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
I have a Handyman Service in our area. It is a one man operation that fills a void in our small community. I do RV repairs when called among all the other stuff I do. There is no RV dealer of any kind in our area, the closest is over an hour away, if you know the roads. We are on the west side of Table Rock Lake, a vacation destination for RVs as well as weekenders. I was called upon by a weekender that has his Forrest River product setting on a site here. They had a skylight leaking. It was cracked, the unit was 2 months out of warranty. The selling dealer is out of business, they had no one to turn to. I suggested they call the manufacture, and see if they could help or at least let us know how to get a new skylight. Forrest River stepped up and said they would not only send us the parts at no cost they would pay the labor for them. We all thought that was fantastic. I got all the info to send them the bill. I promptly sent Forrest River an invoice for the labor by email, and received a confirmation. 4 weeks had gone by, no check. I sent a reminder, Forrest River replied "Our payment terms for checks are NET 60 from the date of receipt of invoice which would put you at about 1/14/14. Or by ACH we pay NET 30, if you would like the payment sooner via ACH Iโ€™ve attached the necessary form. The work was completed on 10/31/13, I could send them all my bank account information if I wanted to get it sooner. I will be damned if I am going to send any one my bank account information. It is no wonder no one wants to work on anything the factories have to pay for. If I had to by parts and provide labor to them interest free for 60 days, I don't want to do the work either!!

You said: I will be damned if I am going to send any one my bank account information.

You send this information every time you send someone a check. Your check has the bank's routing number and your acct. number on it.

Falcon35
Explorer
Explorer
I have had warranty work done on my Georgetown a Forest River product by three different dealers. First the selling dealer who tried to do as little as possible and when they got around to it. Next Ron Hoover RV in the RGV at the request of Forest River came out to the RV Park we were in with a set of new batteries after a defective coach battery blow up. The following year at Lazy Days in Tucson they installed a support on the water heater at the authorization of Forest River even though it was out of warranty. They also got permission from Dometic to replace noisy fans on our fridge. Do those dealers have a better relationship with the manufacturer or do they also have to wait.
2012 Georgetown 378TS 2008 Honda Fit
ReadyBrake Surge Brake System integrated with ReadyBruteโ„ข Elite RV Tow Bar

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
D & M wrote:
bigdogger wrote:
What's the problem with giving them the ACH information? It is the same information on the front of every check you have ever written. The routing number for the bank, which is public knowledge and your account number, which is plainly printed on each and every check you have ever written or received.

x2

heck yeah. :S We are on our fourth page and it was not a problem to begin with. And it was past the warranty. :W

AO_hitech
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:
Years ago we got heck from home office if bookkeepers didn't pay promptly. 2% 10 days discount. They all had to be cleared by 30 days.

I know of a company that ALWAYS subtracted the discount even though they NEVER paid within the discount period. Their attitude was that they were big enough that no one would sue them over it. They also never paid any bills at then end of a quarter. It could take 90+ days to see payment.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
Francesca Knowles Quote: "As noted before, your mistake was likely entering into that agreement with the CUSTOMER. If immediate payment was a concern, you could have made him pay you and let him wait for the check from Forest River."

Exactly - the repair guy has no dog in the fight. It's between the customer and the Mfgr. Everyone want's the 'middle guy' in the middle forever, while the two dogs chew on one another.

Two thing: I bet if the repair guy said: Customer pays repair guy, repair guy submits the papers, and when the check comes, customer gets it.

I'd bet the customer would pay, because if the warranty pays or denies it, the work needs fixing. But at least repair guy gets out of the middle as soon as he does his job.

Seems now everyone wants this "buy now (get now) pay later attitude". Eventually, that breaks down, and the 'nice guy' in the middle gets screwed.

Time we all step up to the plate and take responsibility for our actions - you want the RV repaired, sooner than later, put up your wallet. Otherwise, wait until the cows come home for the warranty.
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago we got heck from home office if bookkeepers didn't pay promptly. 2% 10 days discount. They all had to be cleared by 30 days.
These outfits making a practice of not paying or paying when they get ready because, it is cheaper to not have enough staff or playing games with interest and payments cost everyone money and services. It is no fun to have to deal with a Dealer and others for weeks to get things done because it is more profitable for them and Insurance companies perhaps playing the same gang.
It is now wonder everyone takes anti acids and nerve ills.
It is safe to say that there have probably been lots of former RVers that gave it up because of service and insurance problems and countless more that won't trade or buy because they refuse to go through the mess again.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:

Never was told the rules to begin with, they stated, send them the bill, they would pay. Never once was any payment method or policy mentioned.

Well, you've learned a valuable lesson:
Be sure to get payment policies up front before you agree to wait for manufacturer reimbursement.

As noted before, your mistake was likely entering into that agreement with the CUSTOMER. If immediate payment was a concern, you could have made him pay you and let him wait for the check from Forest River.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I recall an accident I was involved in once.. Taxi entering the freeway, I was in the far left (of like five) lanes, a Volkswagen Rabbit in the lane next to me.. Weather bad, Taxi lost it and ... and.... Rabbit sandwich.

I got the tow truck that towed in the rabbit to pull my fender off the wheel and continued on to work.. Had the young lady (Freddye) make me a copy of the accident report (Advantage of being a police dispatcher, Instant copies) and next morning drove past a body shop, picked up an estimate and off to the insurance agent about 100 miles west.

Turns out the adjuster was in.

He says "Get an estimate" I open my case and hand him the estimate

"Well when we get a copy of the accident report"... I hand him that too.

Here's your check.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Executive wrote:
I'll flip the coin over...I think it's atypical.

We had a tornado come through the campground a few months ago. It removed all four of my slide toppers. Called the insurance company and they sent out an adjuster. Since we are full timers, it's not convenient for us to wait for a dealer to replace the toppers, so we decided to wait until we were going to be somewhere for a month or so. As it turns out, we were in Harlington, Texas and some mexican fellas were installing a patio room on a fiver. I asked them about my toppers and they gave me an estimate. Called the insurance company and explained the situation. Got it approved and next day I had my new toppers installed! Insurance company sent the check within three days....$1200.00.

Point is, not everyone is out to rip someone off. There are procedures that must be followed. It's been my experience that if the procedures are followed, the transaction goes smoothly. Sounds like the OP doesn't want to follow those procedures so he gets what he gets. While he may not like FRs procedures or as jwmll above indicates, if you expect to get paid follow the simple rules. I've had excellent response from my warranty company, from Monaco and from my insurance company. But, as I said, I asked and followed their procedures......YMMV.....Dennis

Never was told the rules to begin with, they stated, send them the bill, they would pay. Never once was any payment method or policy mentioned.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
abc40kids wrote:
Not sure how much or how bad you need what they owe you but you could find a bank other than the one you have now and open a free checking account, get your check sent there and then close it out.

I wouldn't have a problem letting Forest River deposit directly into my account. I deal with car dealers daily and they almost NEVER write a check right after the work is done. Always at least 30 days.

Not as simple as that free checking does not generally apply to business accounts. Sure he could set it up as a personal account but then there are liability and legality issues.
He could just avoid warranty payment the next time and get payment directly from customer and let customer seek reimbursement.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure how much or how bad you need what they owe you but you could find a bank other than the one you have now and open a free checking account, get your check sent there and then close it out.

I wouldn't have a problem letting Forest River deposit directly into my account. I deal with car dealers daily and they almost NEVER write a check right after the work is done. Always at least 30 days.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
westend wrote:
Lantley wrote:
60 days net maybe the new world order but it's not always lucrative if you are due to be paid.
How many of are paid 60 days net by their employer? For a small operator 60 days is a long time.
In the end it is easy to see why many shy away from warrantee work.
Straight payment is just easier and more profitable. Why jump through hoops if you don't have to?
Let someone else (like the selling dealer) play the warranty game.
You've got it right, a small business has the most problem with extended payment schedules. Not only do you have to wait to get paid for the labor but if you have a materials-heavy project, the vendors don't want to wait on payment.
I've been at this long enough to just add in appropriate costs when I deal with these types of financial arrangements.

I agree to padding cost when you can, however with a warranty claims padding cost is not as easy as the manufacturer sets the rates and must approve the claim.
It's easier to simply avoid the warranty work and eliminate the payment headache.
In too many cases the the service provider finds themselves on the short end of the stick.
Furthermore unless the service provider can pay their suppliers and themselves in 60 days they ultimately end up providing 0% interest financing for 60 days in addition to doing the work.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide