cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Deck idea for seasonal site.

dee74
Explorer
Explorer
I just rented a seasonal site for this year and I will be putting a deck in. The deck cannot go into the ground, must be in small sections, and I will not attach to my tt. I am thinking of building a set of floating decks and bolting them together but am not sure just yet. Please share any ideas that may be helpful and also how can I keep this deck from blowing away without digging in the ground? I saw several decks at the campground but was not sure how they keep then from blowing away.
23 REPLIES 23

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
I helped a friend of ours build a sectional portable deck for a seasonal site a few years ago. We laid out treated 2x4's in a "Z' pattern, and then screwed composite deck boards to them to create 4'x4' sections similar to the way a diagonally braced garden gate is built. We built six sections for an 8'x12' deck, but it could easily be more or less sections as desired. The sections are light enough to be easily transported and placed by one person, and can be placed either in line or alternating for different patterns. Our friend transported them on his SUV's roof rack, and supported them on site with ordinary clay building bricks and cedar shims to level them. As I recall, he anchored everything with 12" pole barn spikes driven into the ground.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
We used the concrete piers with 4 way slots for 2x? lumber.
Only 8 needed for a 10x20 deck. Easy to level.
2x6 joists and 1x6 deck boards, all treated.
Made a box step to meet the door.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
PackerBacker wrote:
I use two 8'x8' sections pinned side by side and have since added another 6'x8' section.

They are simply 1x6" decking planks screwed onto 2x4's as a base and placed right on the ground. It has never moved in the 9 years we've had it. Everything is treated lumber.

This is probably the easiest solution.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You can secure the deck to the ground by using a "J" bolt inside a concrete block , core-filled to hold the J-bolt in place. The bolt protrudes through the edge of the deck and is fastened with a nut and washer. That should keep a light deck in place.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I use two 8'x8' sections pinned side by side and have since added another 6'x8' section.

They are simply 1x6" decking planks screwed onto 2x4's as a base and placed right on the ground. It has never moved in the 9 years we've had it. Everything is treated lumber.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
It will take a quite strong wind to move a deck; it is relatively heavy, has a low center of gravity, and has comparatively little surface area exposed to the wind. Frankly, I suspect you'd be more likely to have a travel trailer or fifth wheel trailer blow over (particularly if the wind is from the side) than most decks move significantly.

You can get anchors for animal tethers that are like large corkscrews at feed/farm supply sorts of stores, and attach the deck with cables or whatever to them. A few of them would ensure that the deck stayed in position regardless. You should, of course, verify with the management that they would be permitted, which probably depends somewhat on their main concerns. These anchors don't leave objectionable holes in the ground or harm the grass etc. much, but they could wreck havoc with utilities that are close to the ground.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would place these on the ground. Get them level and place them about 6' on center.
Click Here
You can slide 4X6 beams through the brackets without securing them. nothing should move.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
What ever you do, get the parks approval before you spend any money.

Over the years we've had several "seasonal" sites and each one had different rules pertaining to what you could and could not build. If it were me, I would talk to the office and get a copy of the latest rules. Then walk around taking pictures of what you like. Don't be surprised if what you like can no longer be built. The building rules might of changed over time and what you really like might not conform to current standards.

We used to like wooden decks that are level with RV. Having the deck raised is great for some storage under deck if done right. But found that they get slippery in winter time. Last one we put in was patio blocks at ground level with a wooded railing around attached to a canopy.

Also be aware that some people hide behind the ADA rules to enlarge their deck.

link with lots of ideas. https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+decks&biw=1301&bih=589&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKE...
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer

just use the concrete blocks as shown in the lower right of the picture.

2x6's are plenty heavy, we had a 8 by 20 deck at our seasonal (now it's 12 by 28 and has a roof) but it was NEVER going to blow away.

green treated 2x4, 8 feet, is 13 lbs by itself. Multiple that by x number of boards in a deck, I doubt it's going to move much.

edit: read the pounds wrong, 8 feet green treated is over 20 lbs