cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Towing two trailer at one time

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
I've always been amazed by the people who tow a RV and their boat at the same time, but I'm curious if it changes how you drive? Can you back-up both trailers at the same time in a normal fashion or is there a trick? How do they handle taking turns?
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP
36 REPLIES 36

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Came across this triple setup in Utah, the first we've ever seen. Owner said it was 81' overall and no problem to tow. Man, until you see one in person, you can't appreciate how long these things are! :E Wonder how you get into and out of gas stations?

We pulled out onto the interstate before them and a few minutes later they came flying past at warp speed at what seemed like over 100 mph. He was outa sight in seconds. Crazy!

I use to be 82' long with my old rig. I bout a longer rig and truck since then.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
We were shopping for a new 5th wheel camper this weekend and were surprised how many had a hitch on the back.

Those receivers are also used for mounting bike racks and cargo carriers, which are more common than pulling doubles.

That makes more sense!
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

RandACampin
Explorer
Explorer
WNYBob wrote:
Big issue is that they are not legal in all states. I say a guy with a TC, horse trailer (2 horse) and boat. A state cop had him pulled over, he was not allowed to continue.

Just because it's legal where you licensed them, doesn't mean you're legal in other states.

HEY CHECK IT OUT!! http://www.rvingoutpost.com

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
I have several friends in WI that double tow, motorcycle trailer behind a 40ft 5th wheel...scares me but not something I would or need to do. That's what they make toy haulers for.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
We were shopping for a new 5th wheel camper this weekend and were surprised how many had a hitch on the back.

Those receivers are also used for mounting bike racks and cargo carriers, which are more common than pulling doubles.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
We were wondering about this. We were shopping for a new 5th wheel camper this weekend and were surprised how many had a hitch on the back. I guess more people do this than I thought.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

uncledon
Explorer
Explorer
patriotgrunt wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
patriotgrunt wrote:

It helps to plan your moves such as getting in and out of the fuel pumps or final destination. You don't just pull of the road into any mom and pop fuel stations.
I keep my speeds down and forget about keeping up with the flow.

I too tow my '09 Bighorn 3055RL and 18' Bass Tracker behind my Silverado longbed. @ 74' I'm legal in MI, but not in any other states around me as far as I know.

As mentioned in the quote, the fuel stops need to be checked out well before venturing in. I plan out my entire trip with Google maps and other online tools so I know pretty much where I'm going and what I can expect. If necessary I will pull over and check it out before moving in to a situation that at least will be embarrassing.
2002 Silverado 3500 DRW CC 6.6L Turbo diesel
2009 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL
2002 Bass Tracker Pro 175 XT w/ 90/65 Merc Jet

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
As for towing doubles, it's quite common here in the Rocky mountain states. I've had several rigs set up this way, all bumper pulls which require some attention to detail when initially setting up. I've towed both trailer and boat, and trailer and utility trailer with ATVs. The biggest issues I've had keeping inside the 65 foot total length limit, and no special license or indorsement is required here. When towing the boat trailer combo, I would launch the boat prior to hitting the campground as it made unhooking and moving the boat trailer much easier so I could back the TT into the camping spot. Backing both trailers up wasn't hard other than I had to use a kind of zig zag procedures since I couldn't see the boat trailer in the mirrors when the whole rig was straight. You also had to be careful not to run into traction issues trying to pull the trailers back up the ramp as boat ramps can be slick.

The above said, especially when doing doubles with bumper pulls you really have set everything up perfect so you don't get sway. Things can get away from you much quicker, and more violently with doubles than with a single TT.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

patriotgrunt
Explorer
Explorer
81' is a bit much especially if he's driving at warp speed. I would be creeping along at 55-60 mph with that much behind me.
2015 Ford F-250, 6.7 PSD
2016 Ford Expedition, 3.5 Eco-Boost
2003 Ford F-150, 4.2 V6
Sandpiper 357 TRIP

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
drsteve wrote:
myredracer wrote:
Came across this triple setup in Utah, the first we've ever seen. Owner said it was 81' overall and no problem to tow.

He does have one problem: he's only legal in Wyoming and New Hampshire. No other state (Utah included) permits more than 75' overall length. Utah's limit is 61'.

State laws

Much of what that link says about Montana is inaccurate, also.
I have never found any such "List of Towing Laws" that is really accurate!
Don't trust them!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
I question the accuracy of that link as it shows two length limits for Utah-61' for combined and 65' for "triple" towing.
And Colorado does allow "triple" towing as I have been doing it for 20 years.
Best to contact the state you want to travel in for information as the lists I have seen I are not totally accurate.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Came across this triple setup in Utah, the first we've ever seen. Owner said it was 81' overall and no problem to tow.

He does have one problem: he's only legal in Wyoming and New Hampshire. No other state (Utah included) permits more than 75' overall length. Utah's limit is 61'.

State laws
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
We tow doubles (two trailers) in OK with a class D license.
In fact triple towing (three trailers) is popular in the summer around here with all the large CEO lakes. Usually its a truck....5th wheel trailer..... ski boat....and a trailer full of PWC's bringing up the rear.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Only in California.
So you don't need an endorsement for other states?

Generally no. Michigan does also require a special R endorsement, on your regular class license, but they require the first trailer to be a fiver. I'm not aware of any other states with special liscensing requirements for RVs, other than many states prohibiting it altogether. Michigan does not require the R endorsement for non residents.

CA requires a class A with doubles endorsement and medical card, but both trailers can be conventional. But if one trailer is over 28' then the shorter 75' limit applies so in reality that doesn't allow much for a 2nd trailer.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST