cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dewinterizing systems

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
This may sound like a stupid question, but where do you dump your tanks when you are emptying the antifreeze from your tanks?
14 REPLIES 14

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
I dump it out into the driveway

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
nbking wrote:
Roadtrek recommended pouring antifreeze into the water holding tank then pumping it through the system.
The seasoned pros do not do this. No AF in any tanks. The real seasoned pros are never in freezing weather!
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I dump it on my gravel parking area.
The weed killer I use is a lot more toxic than RV antifreeze. And the weeds keep coming back.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since this antifreeze is non-toxic, I dump it where I dump the black tank.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

mayble
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for asking this "stupid question" - I was wondering the same thing ๐Ÿ™‚
I just bought my mh (used) over the winter. Every little thing has been a learning experience.

bpadamson
Explorer
Explorer
If you forget to close your low point drain valves after you drain the water out of plumbing lines it takes a bit more than a gallon-- depending on when you finally close the low point drains! True story happened to my wife's husband...
2013 Ford F250 4X4 6.2gasser--- 4.30 gears, SCT Flash chip, improved tires, airbags; intake and exhaust opened up a bit.
9.5-year-old Forest River 295 WP Toy Hauler
B&W slider hitch

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
As I mentioned, it was the easiest method to winterize and was the system recommended by Roadtrek. I would do it differently next year with help from others.

Anyway, that is the answer I hoped for. I was concerned about just dumping it on the ground. If it is commonly done, then there should be no problem.

Yes I did use RV antifreeze and not automobile antifreeze.

Thanks to all who responded. Makes my job easier this year.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
double post deleted
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
MOST RVs come with a valve and intake before the pump that lets you suck antifreeze directly out of the antifreeze jug with the pump. That way you don't have to put it in the FW tank.

But if it is in your tank, assuming you used RV antifreeze for winterizing and not automotive antifreeze, you can just drain it on the ground, then fill and drain the tank multiple times. Then pump water through the system to get the antifreeze out, then sanitize the system using bleach.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
My driveway. RV antifreeze is nontoxic, in fact it is in many coffee flavorings.

Why do you have antifreeze in your tanks? I winterize the entire rig with less than one gallon.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
Roadtrek recommended pouring antifreeze into the water holding tank then pumping it through the system. I don't know how much is in the tank now but I think I put more than a gallon in last fall.

I am sure there is a better system to do it but with arthritic hands, it was the easiest way I could do it last year.

I know I can flush it out and use baking soda to improve the taste. I was wondering where I could flush the water with the antifreeze in it.

windviewer
Explorer
Explorer
nbking wrote:
The fresh water tank has to be emptied, sanitized and then refilled or partially refilled with clean water. That could not wait until the first dump. The gray or black tank could wait.

Assuming there is little anti freeze in the fresh water tank, you should be able to just dilute it with water and flush it out.

I don't see why you have anti freeze in the tank; normally (AFAIK) you only put antifreeze in the plumbing lines (pumped in from a separate line source put in the anti freeze bottle that bypasses the source line from the water tank). That is what I do anyway.

nbking
Explorer
Explorer
The fresh water tank has to be emptied, sanitized and then refilled or partially refilled with clean water. That could not wait until the first dump. The gray or black tank could wait.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
How much antifreeze is there in your tanks? Normally there should be around a quart or less. I just leave it and dump at a dump station or campsite when I dump for the first time after the winter.

Also remember that RV antifreeze is non-toxic and doesn't need special handling like automobile antifreeze does.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro