cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

What about the RVIA Sticker ?

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to spend significant $$ to fix a clear coat issue on the right side of the motorhome and the paint shop wants to get everything off they can get off they can, including the RVIA sticker. The sticker now looks like cr@p after years in the sun, faded ink, etc. Is there any reason or legal obligation to retain that sticker on the side? Can it be replaced if needed??
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350
40 REPLIES 40

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
I totally understand that. But I and I suspect others have a valid reason for a replacement sticker and should be entitled to a replacement given enough documentation including returning the damaged sticker being replaced. I intend to make a huge stink about this to both Winnebago, RVIA, as well as the various RV magazines and business forums on principle alone. The fact that nobody has ever once questioned me for this nor even looked for it, and I still may not bother. But I should have to option to replace things like this as necessary without being bent over on price to the point of walking away.
Jeff - WA6EQU

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
mlts22 wrote:
I just wish they used the metal plaques with the number etched in it, not just stickers. At least, if it is so expensive, make their label worth the price premium.

As with a lot of identification labels, including the VIN tags on an RV or other trailer, the regulations have changed the last few years and they now say that the label or sticker must be designed in such a way that you have to destroy it to get to prevent people from taking it off and putting it on another vehicle.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I just wish they used the metal plaques with the number etched in it, not just stickers. At least, if it is so expensive, make their label worth the price premium.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah I was thinking the same thing, but I'm currently taking a deep breath to calm down after my rather scathing response to Winnebago. At the end of the day I frankly don't care if I have one, but I'm sure as heck not going to pay anywhere remotely close to $300 to advertise RVIA on the coach. And that's all it really is at this point.
Jeff - WA6EQU

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Unfortunately Jeff, I think you will find that it's not Winnie that's at fault for a $298 sticker.

The RVIA audit and certification program is 'self-funding', the program costs are divided by the number of units produced and that is the cost per sticker.

Get in touch with RVIA themselves and explain that you're looking for a * replacement * sticker and see what they say. If common sense prevails no audit or inspection costs should mean a (almost) free sticker.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
So I wrote Winnebago a note asking to replace the tag. The quoted me a price of $298.00, to which I responded there is no possible way I'm paying anywhere near that price for a $5 sticker. Thats completely outrageous and aint gonna happen.
Jeff - WA6EQU

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
beemerphile1 wrote:
Don't forget that most regulations only pertain to the manufacturer or a person/business doing significant modifications but not to an owner.

Certainly not in the case of life safety items.

Try telling the authorities you didn't build the house so you're not required to have a working smoke and / or CO detector, or that you can do electrical or renovation projects without permits because you're just the owner.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't forget that most regulations only pertain to the manufacturer or a person/business doing significant modifications but not to an owner.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bird Freak wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
Wow, SO much misinformation here!!

The RVIA certification label is in most jurisdictions a legal requirement under life safety regulations.

Are you going to get arrested for removing it? Not likely. But if something ever happened, God forbid, you might regret removing it.

In some jurisdictions it's actually illegal to rent or sell an RV without that certification label.
can you please back this up with some kind of real documentation.

No problem, just as an example because I had it bookmarked after a long contentious thread last year, see page 2 of the info from the Province of Manitoba below.

Manitoba Fire Safety Brochure

The certification labels BTW show that the vehicle complies with NFPA 1192 standards for things like heating, cooking and electrical systems. The RVIA act as an industry auditing and enforcement body, they can revoke a manufacturers ability to certify units if the don't comply with the standards.

In an (obviously stationary) S & B all that is covered by the building permit inspections. In a highly portable RV there would be no easy way to do that.
As we are talking about someone in the USA im not sure your Manitoba info applys here. I still saw nothing about being illegal to sell a used coach with out sticker. Just saying a lot of your laws there do not apply here.:)

The problem most people have trying to research this issue, the same with importing RV's from the US to Canada, is that an RV is a strange case, it's part vehicle, but also part residential, if only temporarily. That means that BOTH vehicle AND life safety regulations apply to them equally.

The two 'clearing houses' for those standards is NFPA and ANSI.

RVIA (and a handful of smaller independent quality control certifying groups like QAI) provide certification, in this case in the form of an RVIA seal showing the vehicle complies with those minimum standards.

Just as an example, below is a link to a brochure from the State of Idaho's Division of Building Safety.

Idaho Life Safety Reg's Brochure.

In it the preamble states "All structures built for use as a dwelling place, including โ€œtiny housesโ€, must fall into one of the following classifications and are required to comply with the requirements for that classification."

Then further on, in the case of RV's it says "Recreational Vehicles - The Idaho Transportation Department regulates RVs as vehicles for title and licensing purposes through your county vehicle licensing agency. Their width is limited to 81?2 feet and temporary recreational lodging is the only legal use. The placement and occupancy of RVs is regulated by local planning and zoning ordinances.

RVs must comply with American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard A119.2 for Recreational Vehicles or ANSI A119.5 Standards for Park Trailers (ICยง39-4202). The Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) issues an insignia for compliant RVs and Park Trailers."

Recreational Vehicles - The Idaho Transportation Department regulates RVs as vehicles for title and licensing purposes through your county vehicle licensing agency. Their width is limited to 81?2 feet and temporary recreational lodging is the only legal use. The placement and occupancy of RVs is regulated by local planning and zoning ordinances.
RVs must comply with American National Standards Institute (ANSI) Standard A119.2 for Recreational Vehicles or ANSI A119.5 Standards for Park Trailers (ICยง39-4202). The Recreational Vehicle Industry Association (RVIA) issues an insignia for compliant RVs and Park Trailers."

Just like with electrical safety and the NEC and the building code, life safety standards under the various State and Provincial regulations all refer back national standards. You can find similar requirements in each jurisdiction.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would figure out a way to get a new one. It can't be that difficult to do and why take the risk ? Is it going to cause you problems if you leave it off ? Probably not... But, you never know. You may run into the wrong person someday that want's to make a big deal out of it.

Some people have nothing else to do but, take little things and blow them out of proportions.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
ol Bombero-JC wrote:
Bird Freak wrote:
JaxDad wrote:

The RVIA certification label is in most jurisdictions a legal requirement under life safety regulations.

Are you going to get arrested for removing it? Not likely. But if something ever happened, God forbid, you might regret removing it.

In some jurisdictions it's actually illegal to rent or sell an RV without that certification label.
can you please back this up with some kind of real documentation.

Please name *one* "jurisdiction* in the USA where it's required, so the statement can be verified.

OP - two easy steps to prevent the sky from falling:

1. Call the mfgr and see if you can get a replacement.
If not - proceed to number 2.

2. Take a digital pic of the sticker. Contact any of the many
businesses that make custom decals.
If that's too expensive - make your own from the pic, cover with
clear adhesive covering.

If you ignore these -or any of the other sky is falling posts- be prepared for the RVIA sticker police to evict you from campgrounds, impound your RV, and imprison you at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba - without
any future booking (for exit) via a Carnival Cruise liner or a 14 ft runabout..:R

~

2. Take a digital pic of the existing pic.
taking a picture is almost impossible. Mebbe I'll call Winnebago, but it's either going to look right or it's not going on, I'm spending WAY too much to restore this. In the meantime I inherited the deed to beach property in Pinar Del Rio from my Grandfather. Might be nice to get a free trip to Cuba to see it cept' it's on the other side of the island from the big house.. ๐Ÿ™‚
Jeff - WA6EQU

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
No offense, but Canada has as many if not more silly regulations than California. Those Canadian requirements are exactly that, Canadian requirements.

Pretty simple, RVIA is a standard that RV's must meet. If you drive a factory built RV into a campground, it will be a given that it's RVIA approved with or without an RVIA label. The only units that may come under scrutiny would be home made units or conversion units, where it's unknown if safety standards have been followed.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
JaxDad wrote:

Which ones? Are any actually in the United States?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
The example he gave has nothing to do with the US RVIA sticker program, only the Canadian certification program. In fact, US RV's imported into Canada have to pass their inspection even if they do have an RVIA sticker. He has not shown an example of any US government entity requiring an RVIA sticker. There are several smaller manufacturers, as well as some high end custom RV manufacturers that are not members of the RVIA, and their products do not display the sticker. There are legal requirements for US RV's to meet certain ANSI/NFPA and NHTSA standards, but there is no legal requirement that an RVIA sticker be applied to an RV.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate