cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

dinette to couch conversion

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate my dinette. It is not comfortable to lounge at so I want a couch instead. I like the table, but would be fine with a much smaller table. The dinette seats are over a big drawer and the other over the water heater and furnace. The drawer is the full width of a dinette bench, but the heater space is small such that the bench over hangs.
I am not so concerned about the conversion to a bed as it is not a priority.
The space I have would mean an L-shaped couch would fit nicely with the drawer space holding the corner portion.
I would rather have a nice comfy couch. This might have to be custom made. I do not want just foam cushions stuck in to make a fake couch. I will be living in this for extended periods, so need something very comfy.
I am looking for ideas.
5 REPLIES 5

Parrothead_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
With our former 5ver we removed an uncomfortable sofa and put in two La-Z-Boy lounge chairs. After I did it I asked my wife why we hadn't thought of it sooner. The lounge chairs offers much better comfort than the hard sofa/sleeper.
2018 Chevy 2500HD Duramax - 2015 Cedar Creek Silverback 29RE
16K Huskey EZ Roller Hitch - EU2000i Honda Generator

mountainsam
Explorer
Explorer
I have just spent 5 weeks in our 5th wheel due to loosing our house in the Valley fire. I will tell you I have to do something to make this seating more comfortable. This thread gave me several ideas. I'm going with deeper seats with better foam and a narrower table. Maybe even put a bit of lean to the back so not sitting up quite so straight. Still want to have room for a card game now and then.
2017 Thor Gemini 23TR w/ 3.2 Power Stroke turbo diesel
2014 Ram 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel Crew Cab, Long Bed 4X4 6 Speed Auto (sold)
2013 Rockwood Signature 8281 WS w/Sidewinder Pin (sold)
DW and Sofie our Black Lab /Boxer and Phoebe our Schnoodle

ajriding
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks. Maybe thicker foam will go a long way. I am leaning to just make a couch and maybe a narrow side table.
I currently have a wall mount table, it looks like hardware here http://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/dinettes/dinette-hardware/wall-mount-table-support.html
Mine is custom made and the leg is at about 45 degree angle when the table is a table where the leg props into the bed rail groove - the wall mount support that holds the end of the table when in bed position. This way the leg is not in the way of people legs and makes it easy to get in and out. Anyway, I removed one side of the stops that keep the table from shifting forward or backwards on its mounts (nothing to do with the legs anymore). This allows me to move the table closer to myself when I am eating, rather than have the table edge line up with the seat edge. Typically a human pulls his chair under the table. If you have Dunlop, then you could push it the other way if you had this set-up.

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a single RVer. My 'C' has an uncomfortable couch that can be pulled out to make an uncomfortable bed. So it just collects "stuff". I never sit or sleep on it. There's a rear BR for that. The dinette required some alterations as I have Dunlap disease. My belly "done lap" over my belt. So the dinette was uncomfortable. Since I couldn't move the seats, I made two alterations to the table. The table top sits on two metal legs that can be removed from the floor and the table top to make the dinette into another bed. I left the floor receptacles where they were and moved the tabletop receptacles so I could fit. I also took the seat cushions to an upholstery shop and had them replace the cushion material with denser foam. Very comfortable now.
And if I ever sell it, I can put it back the way it was designed with a screwdriver.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
You could totally remove the section with the drawer. Take out the table and you might have space for a recliner.

I would leave the section over the heater intact.

You could also build a L-shape curved bench in the space left by removing the dinette bench, and curve it on around the wall. A bench can be really comfortable if it's covered with properly made cushions.

If you google "upholstery foam" you will find all kinds of online suppliers for foam. The foam comes in different shapes and types of foam.

You could also get a local upholstery shop to make up some good cushions for you.

If you do some looking, you might find a sectional sofa where you can get a short section with a chaise for the corner section.

Or take out both dinette sections, which might take some carpentry work to cover the heater. Put a futon in the space.

Lots of options, depends on your budget, tastes, and space.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board