cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dinghy Towing - CRV or Equinox

RudysWorld
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a new suv for DW. Currently using a tow dolly behind our Georgetown to tow our vehicle. Would like the option in the future of towing 4 wheels down. The available options have decreased significantly. Is anyone using a CRV or Equinox as a dinghy? Would like to hear advantages and disadvantages of both. Thanks for your input.
Rudy - 8 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS
12 REPLIES 12

CVD
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ve also been looking at the CRV & Equinox. Yes, the Equinox looks like more car with more features for the money. But it also simply is a bigger car, weighing ~ 450 lbs more. Better in some ways, but certainly a little more weigh to tow. Iโ€™m havenโ€™t decided which is best for me yet.

Specs from Edumnds.com:
CRV (2wd) : 178โ€ long, 3305 lbs
Equinox (4 cyl, 2wd): 188โ€ long, 3777 lbs
Cliff

1999 Itasca 34V DP
2000 Jeep Wrangler
2014 Honda CRV

RudysWorld
Explorer
Explorer
Bought the Equinox, more car better equipped for less money. Thanks for everyone's input! Now what tow bar...???
Rudy - 8 year old long haired dachshund
2011 Georgetown 350TS

rr2254545
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at the CRV and the ground clearence was too low 6.3/6.7 for the limited off road I want to do, I thought me Honda Fit was low at 6, I am getting the new Jeep Cherokee when it comes out later this month.
2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee
492 Campgrounds,107K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 2360 nights camping since we retired in July 2009, 41 National Parks

luvztheoutdoor1
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 2011 Equinox over 2,200 miles this summer with multiple stopovers. Absolutely no problems. I would recommend it to anyone as it is also AWD which helps me get down my driveway in the winter.
Linda
Scout, 10 year old Husky/Shepherd
2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS

RCtime
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchased a 2013 CRV in March and had a 2004 prior. Both CRV's have been excellent toads. My 2013 gets much better gas mileage.
The Equinox is a strong contender and I have noticed ads in the paper it can be purchased a good $3000.00 less than I paid for my CRv, However I don't know what trim level and my CRV is the EX, the middle of the line.
Ron
2002 34HD Winnebago Journey DL, Cat. 330/freightliner
2013 Honda CRV - Garmin 1490t
Great wife & Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, RIP
TT/N

az99
Explorer
Explorer
I drove both in quest of a toad. I pretty much went to buy a CRV (based on toad reviews) until I drove one. The CRV felt like I got in a no frills 1999 leftover car and it had no power. The Equinox had more features and is larger for about the same $. My wife said "no way" to the CRV. No question in my mind the Equinox was the winner.

Either should do you well. Even though we did not like the CRV it is certainly a reliable and popular tow vehicle.

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2012 Equinox LTZ. Piece of cake to tow.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
RudysWorld wrote:
Looking for a new suv for DW. Currently using a tow dolly behind our Georgetown to tow our vehicle. Would like the option in the future of towing 4 wheels down. The available options have decreased significantly. Is anyone using a CRV or Equinox as a dinghy? Would like to hear advantages and disadvantages of both. Thanks for your input.

RudysWorld,
Well Sir, in our quest for a toad back in the late part of 2011, we test drove a few CRVs and, a 2012 Chev Equinox. I really liked the Equinox for a couple of reasons. One, to both of us, it seemed quite a bit roomier than the CRV. It also seemed a bit "Peppier" than the CRV. And, if I recall, the Equinox, the GMC Terrain and a couple more "flat towable" umits we were considering, ALL HAD 6-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS while Honda, seemed to be stuck in keeping it's 5-speed. Now, to some, that means nothing.

But, there's a reason that many manufacturers are going to multiple speed automatics. Dodge just came out with an 8-speed auto for it's trucks. I'm certainly no tech wizard in design engineering but, to me, if you can keep in the torque range of your engine without climbing to high RPMs by using more gears, then why not.

So, why Honda, at least back then, stayed with the 5-speed I'm not sure. But, in any case, for some reason, or two, we chose the CRV. I won't go into the procedure for setting up to tow, you'll find all that out later.

But, if we were to go that route again, knowing what we know now, I think we opt for the Equinox. One of things that we noticed was the Honda displays more road noise than the Equinox.

Sorry to be into too much depth but, it's your money and you have to live with what you choose. There's a ton of happy CRV owners out there and some are on their second and third units. After about 18 months and about 12 or 14K miles, we just weren't happy with it and sold it.

Do yourself a favor, when you test drive, take them for long runs and really listen and feel for your ride comfort and characteristics. Don't just let the salesman take you around the block. We drove the Equinox for about 75-80 mile test drive and, WITHOUT ANY SALESMAN!
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

dicknellen
Explorer
Explorer
another happy 2013 CR-V owner. A friend of ours on their second CRV and the wife loves to drive them and prefers it over a Toyota Avalon. Ours is to new to give a review, but at 1000 miles we both really like it. There is no change in the 2014 CR-V, so still makes a great toad. Dick

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm not keeping score, but just from casual observation, the two most popular toads seem to be Jeep Wrangler and Honda CRV.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

debandi
Explorer
Explorer
We are towing a 2012 CRV that has done just what it should. When we had the base plate installed we asked for a switch to be installed so we wouldn't have to pull a fuse. A recent 4100 mile trip gave us no problem and with the switch turned off, there is no battery drain.
We follow the directions in the owners manual.
When we were looking for a new toad, the chevy dealer showed us only black or dark colored cars, we didn't want the heat build-up so we headed to the Honda dealer.
I would imagine the Equinox would be good too.
John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

Beverley_Ken
Explorer
Explorer
We are towing a 12 CRV behind our c-class, no problems. Just follow the instructions in the CRV manual, our only difference was to add a 12v charge line from the MH instead of pulling a fuse.
Just a note, the new generation 12,13and 14 CRV, IF AWD, can only be towed four down or on a trailer, the FWDs can be towed 4 down or on a dolly.

Beverley and Ken
2006 Winnebago Outlook 29B E-450.
2012 Honda CR-V AWD
Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar and Brake Buddy Vantage.