cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dingy towing 2012 Ford Fusion

bouch2
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our Fusion 2012 new so we could dingy tow it behind our C. It was the last series Fusion that allows dingy towing, and mid year they changed the transmission and the Fusion can no longer be flat towed. We have towed it three times and it caused the battery to go dead each time, with the brake buddy active during each tow. I have contacted Ford and they are not help when it comes to solving the battery problem. Hoping someone has run into this before and has an answer.
5 REPLIES 5

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
two-niner wrote:
Will: I hope you see this question. What brand is your baseplate?

Thanks

Kerry (two-niner), we went with a Blue Ox base plate.

At the time we bought our 2013 Fusion and needed a base plate for it (March 2013), Blue Ox was the only one that had a base plate available for it. I've always liked Blue Ox's design for base plates better, anyway.

Will
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

two-niner
Explorer
Explorer
Will: I hope you see this question. What brand is your baseplate?

Thanks

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
As already said, a charge line is the answer to your problem. I had to go that route with our Fusion, and it pretty much solved the battery drain problem.

Also, the Ford Fusion IS still flat towable, and always has been without any issues, if you get the hybrid version. Ford's hybrids have always been flat towable, and have a very solid reputation for such. We tow a 2013 Fusion hybrid, and it works great. IMO, its one of the most simple and easy FWD auto trans vehicles to flat tow. No disconnecting batteries or fuses, no crazy procedures to go through when hooking up, no stopping every few hours to crank up the car and run it to lube the tranny. Just hook it up, put it in neutral and go. The way it should be. 🙂
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
AS you can see by my signature, I tow a 2011 Fusion Hybrid I had a charge line installed never had a problem
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

SpiKar
Explorer
Explorer
Run a charge line from the MH to the car It is simple. The MH should have power to the plug. Run a line from the car receptical to the battery and it should keep it charged