cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DirecTV (ATT) changing their policy?

Hiking_Hunter
Explorer
Explorer
I received by email from DirecTV with an updated Customer Agreement that appears to be a change in their policy regarding receivers in RVs. Looks like AT&T is having an influence on them. The following is copied from the Agreement... Read section (g) first, then refer to section (f) above it.

(f) Phone Connections. For optimal performance of your Receiving Equipment, including ordering with your remote control or receiving certain Services, your equipment must be directly connected to the same land-based telephone line or internet connection. If you add Service on additional TVs, you may purchase a separate subscription for each additional TV, or, if all your equipment is continuously connected to the same land-based telephone line, we can charge you only the fee amount described in Section 2. You agree to provide true and accurate information about the location of your equipment. If it is determined that the equipment is not at the service address identified on your account, we may disconnect the equipment or charge you the full programming subscription price for the equipment.

(g) Mobile Units. We provide Service to Receiving Equipment installed in mobile units such as campers, boats and other recreational vehicles. However, this Receiving Equipment is not eligible
for the additional TV authorization discount described in Section 1(f).

Section 2, referred to above, describes their programming charges.

I think this is poorly written; they are mixing "For optimal performance..." along with "may" instead of "must", but I think their intent is clear. Additional receivers added without a connection to the same internet or phone line as the others in a house will be charged for separately (full programming charge). I'm suspicious that they worded it like they did to make it sound like a "benefit" - a "discount" for units connected to the same internet or phone line.

Am I paranoid, or did the camel just stick his nose in the tent?
Amateur Radio WA4GIY
2015 Montana High Country 305RL
2013 RAM 3500 4x4, crew cab, long bed, 6.7 CTD, Aisin trans.
CGVW 20460 Lbs.
33 REPLIES 33

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
I love the way these companies just change their contracts or "agreements" at the expense of their customers. I haven't seen this, but if that is as you suspect,the satellite goes, along with the phone and internet service for me.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You could always contact DirectTV and tell them they MUST honor the original agreement you signed for! Just because they send you email does not mean you agree to the new rules unless you decide to do nothing. And if you have a 1 or 2 or 3 year contract, they will have to honor that original contract until it ends, otherwise they are in breach of the contract. You're grandfathered into the agreement you originally agreed for the length of time in your contract. They can't change that on a whim. Anything different, and I'd be on the phone raising a fair amount of He!! with someone.

(Personally, we canceled DirectTV for all the shenanigans they pulled on us. We switched to DishTV and they pulled the same stunts on us. We finally canceled it too, and don't use anything any more, except over-the-air rabbit ear television.)

Now, if your original contract is expiring, then that's a different matter. They're simply providing you the new agreement, you still have the option to not accept it, and cancel DirectTV (if your contract is ending).

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
I've always had an RV mobile account only. When I'm home I use the receivers in the house. I have never hooked a phone line to any receiver. I've had my RV account since 2002.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Talladega County, five miles behind the Speedway and have no internet except for my Verizon smartphone. We've had DirecTV for 14 years and have never had it hooked up to a phone line or the internet and have never had an issue. Tomorrow morning DirecTV is installing a new dish and an HD receiver and was not told we need internet or phone lines. We even take out bedroom receiver with us in the RV.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian