cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Disabled Rates at Campgrounds

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading the good thread re Disabled Parking Permits & thought i'd ask a similar question.
In a Government owned Campground (not private), should sites be offered at a discount for disabled people? Maybe 50%?
I say this because i can't walk very far at all, so i usually stay in the campsite the whole time (i have Bone Marrow cancer c/w a lot of broken bones). Other, healthy people get to enjoy the whole Park & whatever it has to offer. I do enjoy the time spent away from home & the outdoors also, & feel that camping is great for my well-being!
I would assume there would be people who would try & abuse this, but lets try & ignore that for now. Or, is there something in place for your Province/State already & how do they deal with it?
What do you think? Thanks, Gary
56 REPLIES 56

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Many state parks and federal facilities offer a disabled discount.

It would be interesting to know WHY they do so.

For what purpose are these discounts offered?

Is it just pity? As another poster has offered?

What other reason COULD there be?

Surely no one buys the "they don't use the facilities" argument, since most expenses attached to running campgrounds have to do with infrastructure supplied to/for the sites themselves.

And for folks willing to do without those facilities, I'd point out that there's already a discount in place for that purpose in most Public Campgrounds. It's called "drycamping", and generally costs around half of a full hookups site.

Maybe they want to encourage camping by the disabled?

Your reason of pity being the ONLY one is ludicrous.

There has to be others.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:

What other reason COULD there be?

Surely no one buys the "they don't use the facilities" argument, since most expenses attached to running campgrounds have to do with infrastructure supplied to/for the sites themselves.

And for folks willing to do without those facilities, I'd point out that there's already a discount in place for that purpose in most Public Campgrounds. It's called "drycamping", and generally costs around half of a full hookups site.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer

Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
winnietrey wrote:
...I suspect the cost reduction to the park would be extremely limited. And hence so the discount should be. That would probably be a pretty fair way to go
If it's fair to give them a discount for what they don't use, would it also be fair to charge them extra for what they do use that the rest of us don't? Like whellchair ramps, grab bars, accesible doors, etc.

You see, the long and short of it is - we all pay for all the facilies, whether we use them or not.

Furthermore - It just doesn't make sense for us to pay for all these amenities to have ADA compliant facilities, then give the disabled a discount for not using them.

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
Would be interesting to see what the actual discount would be for non use of the facilities. I suspect not much. Cost to maintain roads, campsites, general tree clean up etc would be a fixed cost. Which disabled or not, we all use. Then you would have to figure out wear and tear on the facilities, per number of campers, and the percent on disabled campers who do not use them.

I suspect the cost reduction to the park would be extremely limited. And hence so the discount should be. That would probably be a pretty fair way to go

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Dog Folks wrote:
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Sheesh- this kind of thread always turns accusations of "lack of compassion for the disabled"...get a grip, folks!

So far, no one has given a reason that paid camping should be subsidized for The Select except, evidently, that
pity/guilt is to be felt by those who don't have a handicap placard. Ridiculous.

WOW! Being disabled, I have never been called "The Select."

We are sometimes offered a disabled discount as many, if not all of us disabled will not use the facilities and that lowered maintenance expense is reflected in a discount.

By the way, I trade you my blue card and all it's "subsidies" to be able to walk normally again. Anytime. Anywhere.

:B
Thanks for making my point so well!

If you think so, you are welcome.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
Francesca Knowles wrote:
Sheesh- this kind of thread always turns accusations of "lack of compassion for the disabled"...get a grip, folks!

So far, no one has given a reason that paid camping should be subsidized for The Select except, evidently, that pity/guilt is to be felt by those who don't have a handicap placard. Ridiculous.

When i mentioned that (lack of compassion), it was in the form of a question, not an accusation. If you felt it was an accusation, then maybe rethink it! So, you consider the disabled as a "select" group eh! I'm sure that everybody with disabilities wouldn't hesitate to throw away their membership in this group! I mean, come on! Cerebral Palsey/Amputees/Wheelchair bound, etc. think about what you are saying. The original topic was not meant as a guilt trip, but if you chose to take it as such, i can't help that! I just hope you do not have to experience a disabling condition & are too proud to ask for help!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer

So far, no one has given a reason that paid camping should be subsidized for The Select except, evidently, that pity/guilt is to be felt by those who don't have a handicap placard. Ridiculous.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Dustytuu
Explorer
Explorer
mgirardo wrote:
There are plenty of fully able-bodied folks that never leave their camper and/or site once they hookup. Should they also get a discount?

In the US at least, if some one is disabled, there is a good chance they are receiving disability benefits, so the government is already paying for them to camp where ever they are camping.

-Michael

Have you ever tried to live on a disability pension? I know people who are and they have little left over to camp or for any fun things!!
You sound like you think the disabled are living the good life and this is just not true.
The disabled should be permitted to enjoy life too.
2008 dodge 5500, diesel,Laramie
2008 Carriage Carri-Lite, 36SBQ, 4 slides,dishwasher,washer/dryer,2 fireplaces,6500 gen.
D & D
3 Schnauzers

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y250/Dustytuu/

Kindness, and good manners are important.

GaryKH
Explorer
Explorer
So, to try & understand some peoples logic, there should not be any discount at all for the disabled because it's their choice? What? As a few people have said, i'd gladly exchange my disability with you if you want some insight (not really, i wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy!).
If you are dead set against any discount, then, by extension, you do not buy anything on sale at stores, & you do not make use of seniors discounts. Is that what i'm hearing? If so, i don't believe you! By not using facilities & features at campgrounds, i am NOT contributing to the maintenance fees (because i'm simply not using them), so, it follows that it cost less for manpower to maintain, when compared to others that do use the facilities.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Isn't there something called the Americans With Disibilities Act that requires public facilities to be accessable to those who are disabled? It seems to be in force at all the CG's I've been to - bath houses, ramps, pools, the list goes on. It is even exceeded in Fla state oarks as the ADA sites are all concrete pads. I also have compassion for the disabled, but this stuff costs money. I have no beef with any place offering such a discount, but it's not a guarantee. If they do, and their fee is higher, I'll gladly pay it if I want to cam there. In the case of no discount, you are free to camp only where one is offered.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
3oaks wrote:
camperpaul wrote:
In Illinois, disabled veterans who have Illinois drivers licenses or ID cards and IDVA disabled cards get FREE camping, how ever they still have to pay for electric hook-up.

And that is the way it should be at all public, especially federal campgrounds. Disabled veterans (and only disabled veterans) should have free access and camping. They earned their free pass.

Why only disabled veterans?

How about Firefighters, Police, and other safety employees who become disabled during performance of their job?

Ahhhh - with the exception of Federal Firefighters, most only serve a small segment of the population - a city, county or state.

Wrong!..:S
Due to mutual aid "we" serve out of our "home" departments - including State and Federal lands (& campgrounds within those areas).

Ex: A few years back (municipal) F/Fs from So. CA were deployed to the major fire/s in Yellowstone National Park.

As a member of a municipal (So.CA) FD, I have been in numerous counties throughout the state (although never out-of state).
However, some of those included Federal lands *in* CA.

Not uncommon for F/Fs to lose their lives or incur career ending injuries (including severe burns) "outside" of the jurisdiction they normally serve.

~

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
bid_time wrote:
I have as much compassion for disabled people as the next guy. My wife is diabled. If disability qualified for a discount, I'd be getting the discount. But you see, I figure the disability check makes up for the lack of a discount. However, I'm getting a little tired of the "I want it free" society we're becoming.

May I speak for some of us that are disabled?

We don't expect anything for "free." If the park is offering a disabled discount, that is their decision, not mine, and I am going to take it.

Many, many times there is no discount and we pay full price without compliant.

Not using the swing does not reduce cost but lots of things, like bath houses,swimming pools, or anything else that requires maintenance does have a reduced cost when not used by the disabled.

There is no argument that any person, disabled or not, that does not use the facilities causes less in expenses than someone that does.
Our Rig:
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have as much compassion for disabled people as the next guy. My wife is diabled. If disability qualified for a discount, I'd be getting the discount. But you see, I figure the disability check makes up for the lack of a discount. However, I'm getting a little tired of the "I want it free" society we're becoming.