cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Do I even bother winterizing in Las Vegas?

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
Storing our rig for the first time over the winter in Las Vegas. I know it can get down to the mid-20s some nights. What would you do, pink stuff or just use hot water/cold water drain points in utility bay and hope it drains enough water out?
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II
11 REPLIES 11

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
My daughter lived in "The Valley" for a few years. She saw SNOW out her window twice. I saw it once when I visited. I would at least blow out the lines.

(OH you can always see snow if you drive up the mountain but hey. Then you are not in "The Valley" (Translation of Las Vegas)..

Had fun one day. We went up the mountain (Mt. Charleston) to the INN for lunch, parked in the overflow lot.. The Sleigh ride operator came over and ask if we were sure we wanted to park there.. After all there was snow, we might get stuck.

IN fact some gal in a Lincoln Navigator (4 wheel drive) Was having serious issues.

We were kind.. Held our laughter till we were inside.

Darling Daughter (Who was driving) Grew up and learned to drive in Detroit, MI.
The tires on her car were purchased by her Boyfriend following a road hazard incident and he and I went to the same tire school (Get an Aggressive Tread so you don't get stuck) We had ZERO problem.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you were staying in it, I would say don't worry about it but if you are not local, it's not worth the risk.

If it gets down into the 20's, yes lines can freeze and bust. Not a high probability but do you really want to be worried every time the forecast drops below 30F
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

obgraham
Explorer
Explorer
Odds are you'll be fine leaving it alone in Vegas.

However, you're not there to do anything about it if something freaky happens. Spend the hour and blow the lines. You'll sleep a lot better.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
20-30mnures of time or potential hundreds of dollars in repairs? Your choice.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too live in Tucson and we occasionally see temps in the mid 20's but not often and not for long periods of time. Every year, for the last 10, I simply open the drains and drive around for 10 - 15 minutes and all of the water in the system drains out. I add about half a gallon of antifreeze to the black and gray tanks and then put a couple of cups of the pink RV antifreeze in the traps of both sinks and the shower.

This leaves the coach ready to roll, all I have to do is close off the drain valves and add water. My fresh water is never polluted with antifreeze and all of my lines have survived just fine over the last decade. Works for me.

:C

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blowout Plug
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
StephJohn2010 wrote:
How do you blow out the lines? Put air hose where??

Purchase a blow out plug sold at CW or any RV parts outlet - use the forum search feature must be hundreds of post on how winterize using pink or air.
Kevin

StephJohn2010
Explorer
Explorer
How do you blow out the lines? Put air hose where??
John & Steph
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (35,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2015 Jeep Cherokee Limited Active Drive II

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
In Tucson I have never winterized and our temps aren't much different than Vegas. Never had a problem.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I would do the same as I do here, blow everything out and put pink stiff in the traps. Just did my new TT for the first time and it took me all of 25 minutes.
I would not trust that the low point drains got everything.
But that's just me - I hate worrying about such things so I just do them and get it out of the way.

X2. Blow out the lines. It's quick and simple. You use very little pink stuff in the traps. Inexpensive peace of mind.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would do the same as I do here, blow everything out and put pink stiff in the traps. Just did my new TT for the first time and it took me all of 25 minutes.
I would not trust that the low point drains got everything.
But that's just me - I hate worrying about such things so I just do them and get it out of the way.