cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do i need a WD hitch?

dmopar74
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2004 suburban 2500 and a 1983 slyline Layton 24ft trailer. the trailer came with an OLD WD hitch and I have yet to use it for 1. I don't know how and 2. there is virtually no sag at all when hooked up and loaded. everything seems to tow great even though I have never towed anything this large before, in fact it tows better than anything I have ever towed.

would I benefit from using the WD hitch, cant hurt right?
12 REPLIES 12

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Looks like you need a hitch pin or something that goes across that bracket and through the chain loop to keep the chain from turning and dropping out. Parked straight, both chains are under tension, but on a turn, the inside chain will unload and you want to be sure it doesn't wiggle out when unloaded.

blt2ski
OR, if you have a scale on the side of the freeway that is CLOSED< you can go into one of those, and pay nothing to get weighed, yeah you do need to move the setup forward and backwards a few times. BUT< you can find out what you generally weigh empty, loaded per say, with the bars hooked up, and at different links on the bars. I've done this in the past, takes about 20-30 min, but gives me a VERY GOOD way to figure out where I needed the chain links to be to get the best at the end, transfer back of the FA wts etc.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

APT
Explorer
Explorer
There is far too much force on those bars to fall out. I would not assume you need a WDH. As you said, it tows well now. Spend $14 at a scale and get at least the two passes, unhitched and tongue on ball as you tow now. Then you can evaluate what if any upgrades are appropriate.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

dmopar74
Explorer
Explorer
ok so I took some pics of how I assume its hooked up. sonow I just need to take some measurements to figure out the chain length.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum limit of 640px maximum width.

dmopar74
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for all the info!

I will either figure out how to use mine or buy a new one. on mine the bars seem like they could possibly fall out of the hitch, theres a cup in top and bottom that the bars sit in,if the bars lost "load" they could poss. fall out but I could be wrong. the bars say reese on em.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ditto APT's post above. If I were you, I would use the WD hitch.
Take a look at this thread for help on setting it up.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I cannot see how they are a lot of trouble. Some are easier to adjust than others, but once set pretty easy to use on each hook/unhook.

Receiver rating for most is 500-600 pounds without a WDH. Hard to imaging a 24' TT with less than 500 pounds when loaded up for camping.

The purpose of a WDH is to restore weight to the front/steer axle and remove weight from the rear axle. Here is an example. 800 pounds TW trailer. Drop hitch on ball, rear axle increases by 1100 pounds, front axle lose 300 pounds. Apply WD to restore that 300 pounds to front axle, rear axle goes to about 650 pounds and 150 back to the TT axles.

Your 3/4 ton isn't likely to exceed the rear axle rating. with that TT. You might be losing 200-300 pounds on the front axle which may not be noticeable. Many people measure fender height as as estimate for relative effects from TW and WDH. That might not work for that TT/TV combo. A trip to the scales might be worth $14. Get 3 passes, truck alone, truck with TT without WD, truck with TT with WD.

If your Suburban has the OEM receiver (round tube), I highly recommend getting a replacement. They had a high failure rate when new, let alone 10 years old now.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

blt2ski
I've driven more miles without a WD than I have with. Reality is as noted by some. If you remove too much wt off the front axel, such that steering etc becomes and issue, then you need a WD system to put the lost wt back onto the front axel. I've personally found that for typical 8 lug rigs with 8600-9900 gvwr's, that number is about 200-250 lbs. I took all of 60 lbs off the FA of my 96 CC with a 24' trailer that had 650-700 lbs of HW depending upon how it was loaded. I really noticed no difference in handling with or with out per say.

WHERE I did notice using a WD with the two trucks I towed the trailer with, was cross winds. The trailer did not rock sideways as much with a WD, a bit less when I went to a dual cam setup. NONE of the three ways I have towed my old TT did I have fishtail sway in higher winds etc. I found if I got a wind gust above 40, once in the 60 mph range going across the Columbia river, the whole unit move a lane sideways one time. Semi's were moving a lane sideways that trip across on I 205. An interesting trip across the river........

So yes, I would recommend a WD or dual cam with your trailer, but is it REALLY needed......more than likely not. But until you weigh or measure things as Don AKA burbman pointed out, you will not know for sure.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
The 2500 burbs sit higher in the rear so they level out when you put a load in the back or on the hitch. What you don't want to do is offload the front axle any.

First thing I would do is measure from the ground to the front wheel wells unloaded, then add the trailer and be sure you are not gaining height in the front, indicating removing weight from the front axle.

Assuming OK there and it sits level, you should weigh the tongue to be sure it's within the weight carrying spec of the receiver (500 lbs). You can weigh the tongue with a bathroom scale, google will get you instructions on how-2.

It's unusual to NOT need a WD hitch with a travel trailer and an SUV, but it's possible. Check your heights and weights and decide. It's not going to help sway control, and since you don't have sway issues, there's no reason to use one if you don't need one....unless it makes you feel better :B

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
learn to use it. you are better off with than without it. it will put more weight back to the front wheels so you can safely steer going down the road. I personally would not tow across the street without one.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends if hitch receiver is rated for the tongue weight of your fully loaded TT as many can only handle 500lbs without a WD system. I don't have much sag as well without our WD/SC hitch engaged but I wouldn't feel safe hitting the interstates or highways sans one, especially with the high winds we encounter here in the four corner states. With the powered tongue jack doing all the heavy work, we just drop spring bars in place and we're good to go. Solid as a rock even when traveling at interstate speeds and passing commercial diesel trucks.

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
They're a lot of trouble if you don't need one.

My advice would be to weigh the trailer, then the tongue, and compare the results with whatever specs there are for your suburban. Go from there.

Here's a link to a pretty good explanation of how WDH works.
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien