cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

do weight distributing bars weaken with age?

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing a 24ft 5500 lb TT with my 5.3L V8 Trailblazer for over 40,000 miles. Back when I first got the hitch, the trailer and the trailblazer sat level. Now I notice that the rear sags enough to notice, and it would seem that those bars being springs might have lost some of their original tension. Does this happen?

PS: I think I read all the posts on WD hitches here.
19 REPLIES 19

JBarca
Nomad II
Nomad II
Timeking wrote:
I have been towing a 24ft 5500 lb TT with my 5.3L V8 Trailblazer for over 40,000 miles. Back when I first got the hitch, the trailer and the trailblazer sat level. Now I notice that the rear sags enough to notice, and it would seem that those bars being springs might have lost some of their original tension. Does this happen?

PS: I think I read all the posts on WD hitches here.

A few questions:

What year Trailblazer?

What is the size of your WD bars? (The weight rating)

Do you know your loaded tongue weight?

When did you notice the sag? How many miles ago? The setup is 40,000 miles, so trying to back into how many miles were OK and now not OK.

Is this a square bar hitch? (trunion bar)
Is this a round bar hitch? WD bars are round.

What brand hitch is it?

Any chance of pics of the hitch hooked up to the truck and camper?

Sorry for the so many questions, need more info to help give a better answer to tell you were to go looking. Bending a WD bar is not impossible but in most cases not likely which means the cause is somewhere else. 40,000 miles on a hitch is not a lot if the hitch has been maintained and the loads are within the ratings and set up right. If the WD bar is bent, then odds are high it is still bent and once we know more about your hitch it can be spotted if it is bent.

Hope this helps

John
2005 Ford F350 Super Duty, 4x4; 6.8L V10 with 4.10 RA, 21,000 GCWR, 11,000 GVWR, upgraded 2 1/2" Towbeast Receiver. Hitched with a 1,700# Reese HP WD, HP Dual Cam to a 2004 Sunline Solaris T310R travel trailer.

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well EVERYTHING weakens with age. Especially things subjected to "duty cycles".

However your steel parts should take many many many years, maybe hundreds to see any real effect in actual change to tensile strength.

So dont worry.

I agree its probably your suspension moving parts that are changing for the worse.

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
During our 8000 mile trip I had to go up to link #4 to keep the trailer and tow vehicle level. The head is definitely worn as I can jiggle the arms around quite a bit, and I don't remember being able to do that 6 years and 50,000 towing miles ago. So after the financial dust settles following this long trip I am going to order a new head.

I am also going to write Chevy a letter and tell them how amazed I am at the engineering that went into my 5.3L Vortec and transmission. I did my absolute best to destroy this vehicle between Florida and Glacier NP via Texas and Michigan's UP on the way back, and the thing only burned one quart of oil. Wow!!

I am also going to replace rear shocks and front struts, and have my wrench evaluate all the springs, the whole suspension and steering.

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
If you see noticeable wear on the hitch head or the ends of the bars that insert into the head, that will make a big difference. I replaced my bar ends once and it was the equivalent of about 1 link. I'm sure the hitch head was affecting it just as much with as worn as it looked. I acquired the hitch parts used from the owner of the trailer I bought at the time. I'm not sure he ever greased anything so there was a lot of wear. I've since replaced the hitch head but the they are of two different designs so I can't say how much impact the head wear had on things. The next most logical thing is that you bring along more now than you used to. Or it could be any of the other things people have mentioned. I think bar end and hitch head wear is the most likely however.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Spring steel is expensive, tough and made to flex for millions or more cycles
before they start to fatigue...

But...they can be over flexed to go beyond their designed range (plastic) and
into the range where they will NOT go 'back' (yield)

This is basic strength of materials science, or metallurgy classes

WD Bars are NOT static in usage, but are preset in a static condition

Meaning while they work...they have a range of flexing that the WD Hitch
System imparts on them. That includes the TV/TT setup plus the biggie: The
Road conditions & how fast

Those Whoop-d-doos will un-weight them (un-bend) and over-weight them
(bend them more)

The faster you go over those Whoop-d-doos...the higher the chances of over-bending
the WD bars (no matter round or trunnion). Not just a one time thing, but
over time (many cycles) will or might over bend them to fatigue them

Think of your coil spring or leaf spring suspension on your car/truck/SUV/etc
Same thing and they do have a cycle life span
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
I am pretty sure/certain that the holes that the spring arms go through have expanded in size through wear. I had to go up to link #4 to get decent leveling (and freedom from the wind in Montana blowing me all over the road). Made it home fine. Having towed this TT almost 50,000 miles, I'm having everything on the tow vehicle checked, and replacing worn parts in the hitch assembly. As far as greasing, these things don't keep the grease where the grease needs to be, and that is why the holes got enlarged.

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
How about bloat?
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
Another possibility is that the receiver on the truck is bending upward when the bars are tensioned. Maybe a weld broke or something cracked in the receiver or the mounting area on the truck.
Worth taking a look as it has happened in the past.
Barney

Agree, receiver flex happens

Bedlam
My original hitch head egged out where the springs bars attached. I was towing a heavy bumper pull toy hauler and got about eight years out of the head before I had to replace it. I am still using the same bars and have not measured a diameter difference compared to new ones. My old hitch head is now dedicated for towing dead tongue weight - I have it set up at a different height so I do not need mess with my WDH setup when I occasionally tow a lighter trailer.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another possibility is that the receiver on the truck is bending upward when the bars are tensioned. Maybe a weld broke or something cracked in the receiver or the mounting area on the truck.
Worth taking a look as it has happened in the past.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
On our first TT, I noticed a similar problem over time. I found out that my hitch was actually starting to fatigue and I needed more and more tension to keep it level. It finally became obvious what the problem was when I could see the hitch was bent.

Ditto! Same thing happened to me - bent hitch head. That's when I switched from my 10 (plus) year old Reese with the chains to a new 4 point Equal-i-zer. Now that one, you "don't" want to grease!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
As Barney indicated above, it's entirely likely the head is worn and has effectively lightened the spring tension.
My Reece DC is about 10 years old and the head is pretty badly worn. I'll probably have to replace it in the next couple of years.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you are going to tinker, do it on a short trip near home.

Unless horribly overloaded, the arms themselves will not lose strength or spring.

Best bet is your truck suspension is the weak link that needs to be looked at.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the simple things first.
Have you changed your loading habits?
Are the shocks original?

I wouldn't tinker on it until I got home though.
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion