cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you need your foggy windows resealed?

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We were in “Q” last week from Sunday to Saturday morning, it was a little cool and windy from slight to howling. We got late start because the DW wasn’t feeling well and the DGDs birthday. One of my hopes for the week was to get two windows that are, were foggy fixed. Stopped at the consignment store west of 95 on I think Kuehn. There were two groups setup and working on windshields and double glazed. One outfit, Auto Glass Boss is from Mesa and was really only doing foggy windows. The other was Nomad Glass and was only doing windshields but you could make arrangements for their foggy window guy. At 95 and Main across from LaMesa RV is a sell yourself lot and Havasu Glass and they will come down and replace or reseal windows by appointment.

We used Auto Glass Boss and while it was hard to get an appointment they did get our windows done on Friday and we are very happy with the work that Josh did. While we were waiting for them to get to us, the DW found another foggy window. So we had the main passenger side window slider resealed, that required removing a pretty big window and resealing and reinstalling. The there was a tall narrow triangular window in front of the drivers entry door. That required cutting new glass because it was badly etched. And a small window on the front of the dinette/sofa slide that needed resealing.

The total cost was $340. I had received estimates higher than that for the one triangular shaped one in front of my door.

The cool part of Auto Glass Boss is that they come to CA every other week and cover from San Diego to L.A. You can call and make an appointment, there is no extra charge and they will go to you to make the repairs.

Auto Glass Boss
Owner: Joe Colvin
Office # 480 962 3886 – Fax # 480 354-2250
9417 E. Main Street, Mesa AZ 85207
autoglassboss@gmail.com

Havasu Glass
Office Contact , Jeanine
Office# 928 208 7604

IIRC they also come to L.A. regularly also.

I had been trying to get work done on those windows since the Pomona Show in September and it is nearly impossible. One guy I first called in September times since then up to two weeks ago, called while we were in “Q”, Said he just got my message. Yea!

So We are pleased and Josh was a great young man and when either guy came into the coach, they removed their shoes. They laid a rug out to create a work space and took all the old seals and junk with them. Couldn’t see where they set up after they left.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II
6 REPLIES 6

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
I had been told that it had to be tempered glass but all three outfits in "Q" and two different AUTO glass shops here in Los Angeles said safety glass was acceptable. I was concerned and really fretted about it before we went to "Q" and the Auto Glass Boss assured me it was acceptable.

They are doing a huge volume of work and sometimes 10 years doing repairs is an incentive to believe the guys doing the work.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
garyemunson wrote:
Harold...I believe he is replacing dual pane glass so I do not think laminated safety glass will fit in a dual pane application...too thick (unless he is converting to single pane safety glass...hadn't thought about that possibility but he did not mention it).

The common plastic laminate thickness is 0.06, or 60 mil. and is applied by two different methods.
One is sandwiched between two layers of glass while the other is applied to only one side of a single pane. Both methods are ANSI approved.
I had a dual pane window repaired by the second method.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
Harold...I believe he is replacing dual pane glass so I do not think laminated safety glass will fit in a dual pane application...too thick (unless he is converting to single pane safety glass...hadn't thought about that possibility but he did not mention it).

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Most replace tempered glass with safety glass, which can be easily cut to fit, if a direct replacement tempered piece is not readily available.
Tempered glass is used on most side windows, while safety glass (laminated glass) is used on the windshields.
Antique auto restorers have been doing this for many years when replacement glass is not available.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

garyemunson
Explorer
Explorer
The 'cutting glass' has me concerned. Any automotive/RV window must by law (and common sense) be tempered and replacements cannot be 'cut' without being sent off to be tempered. Especially with a window near the driver, untempered glass can shatter far too easily if hit by a piece of flying gravel and provide you with a faceful of broken glass at 65 MPH. I really suggest you get that window replaced with the proper glass insert. That's why the other triangular window estimate was so high. Any motor vehicle window must have the DOT imprint on it. I fixed my own foggy windows some years back on my previous motorhome and even the ones that seemed etched cleaned up using a power polisher and very fine automotive polishing compound.

MrWizard
very good info
thank you
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s