cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dometic A/C Capacitors Smoking! Replacement part?

brianosaur
Explorer
Explorer
Air conditioner started pushing an electrical burning smell and I quickly shut it off.

Up to the roof and took off the cover.
The run capacitor was smoking.

Its a 3100248.677-N
60/5uF 370v

I want to buy 2 and keep one as spare.

The Amazon Dometic scam store lists them at a fantastic screw you price of $90.

Am I able to replace it with any capacitor with a rating of 60/5?

There are others listed for $15-$25

Can I use one of those?
9 REPLIES 9

cj99
Explorer
Explorer
I bought some last summer on eBay , when I was having AC issues and the AC guy that came out had supply chain issues cause he has to order from a factory-authorized place . So I just bought them myself and I wanna say they were pretty cheap like 12$ for one and maybe 18 or so for the other ( run and start )
see the follow link for the price and ones I bought, keep in mind this was for my AC your will probably be different :click here

and here : next one here

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
You can also use a 60 and a 5. Amrad? was the best brand before I retired but also pricey… American made and guaranteed for life. I only carried 440 v caps … that held up a little better in the Az. Desert . Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
amazon sell them for about $20.00.
you can go up on vac but never down.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Our local electrician keeps the on hand. We have a lot of electric motors on the farm that use all sizes of capacitors.

Is there a electric motor repair shop near you ? Maybe you can purchase on from there.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
As long as it is 60/5uf and 370V or above you can use it.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
IF you can read the specs go to an "electrical motor" shop (You can google them) and they will either have a replacement or be able to get one..

I do agree 60 bucks is a bit pricy.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Go to capcon capacitors and pull up the list of oil filled capacitors and then look in the 370 volt list. About the 5th or 6th from the bottom on that list you will find the 60. It appears you can save a fair amount. No reason to buy more than one.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
As jkwilson said same number capacitor will work. Brand not important. Capacitors normally store a charge (if yours was smoking maybe not) but make sure you de-energize just in case. Arc between two posts.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don’t buy a spare, or at least don’t pin your hopes on it working. They age in storage too.

As long as the capacitance values are correct, voltage rating is high enough and the form works, you can use it.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73