cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Don't you just love....

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
The smell of a new heater in an rv when it's being used for first time? NOT! Have had the rv almost a year and have not used the heater. Last night while camping it got a little chilly. Forgot to take the electric heater with us. So right before bed I turn on the heater to around 68 degrees. Less than an hour later we are woken up to the smoke detector gong off. Woke up and it smells like something burning. I notice a pillow had been laid next to one of the vents and it was hot. Didn't know if it was caused by it or the newness/dust burning off on e heater itself. Turned it all off. Got home today and turned it on and let it run a little. Removed the battery from the smoke detector (and replaced it , it was almost a year old). Turned on the fantastic fans and let it go for a little while. Yep remember the smell from the travel trailer we had. Man that stuff is strong smelling. Won't forget the electric heater next time. Lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L
22 REPLIES 22

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
right there with ya ๐Ÿ™‚
ppppppppp U

we had smoke detector troubles when frying bacon etc. also.
drives ya nutso

Old Biscuit that is brillant!!! never thought of covering it.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
We use those small dish plastic covers with elastic bands to cover smoke detector when cooking. Pick them up at Dollar Tree, Family Dollar, Dollar General, 99 cent store.
The yellow and red ones stand out.

Course with my cooking they have become a routine....slip on before/slip off after cooking......just part of the process :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Ex-Tech wrote:
Who is "Don"? :W

Good catch...fixed
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

ddschuman
Explorer
Explorer
I hate the placement of our smoke detector. Never fails if I cook bacon for breakfast, I set the darn thing off. Not sure why as nothing is ever burning, I use the ventihood exhaust fan and the kitchen is not smoky. Irritating how sensitive those things are.
Escaping the real world in our "home away from home"
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2016 Chevrolet 3500 High Country Duramax Dually

Ex-Tech
Explorer
Explorer
Who is "Don"? :W

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
Lol. Yeah in the TT we had, we learned to remove the battery from the one in the Kitchen if we were going to use the toaster. If you forgot, it never failed. Our joke now is when we hear a detector go off, we all say "dinners ready!" Lol
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

Dottie5
Explorer
Explorer
The smoke detectors are pretty twitchy in our TT. We stopped on our way back with the new rig. It got cold over night and decided to turn on a little space heater I brought along from home. Didn't realize how much dust was in the thing when I turned the heater on. You could smell burning dust but there was no smoke that I saw. All the detectors went off at 1am. Had to open the door and let even more cold air in just to get the stink out and the smoke detectors to stop. They also went off with the oven the next morning.

These detectors seem really, really sensitive!

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
What I do love is the smell...ALL the smells of a Brand New Rig...
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro