cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dragging a Jeep Unlimited around corners

David_homen
Explorer
Explorer
First Post. I have a 31 foot Jamboree Sport. It is on the Ford E450 chassis and has the 460 motor in it. I have towed a Wrangler X soft top with no issues. I now have a Jeep Unlimited Rubicon that I tow. Here is the issue. At higher speeds, it seems that I am Dragging the Rub around corners, especially longer corners. The coach has almost come to a complete stop with not enough power to tow. The tow seems to do quite well around the neighborhood with sharp turns at intersections. I have verified setup with leaving the key in the On position and moving the steering wheel back and forth and verify that the front wheels actually move when going around corners in the neighborhood. Can not verify if they are turning on the higher speed corners.

It also seems that when it finally does start to catch up, I have to move the coach steering wheel opposite to the turn and catch up.

Has anyone else experienced this.

I have a Roadmaster Falcon 2 tow bar that I leave on the coach and the Rube has the Roadmaster hook up with an extension that supports the Blue Ox ends on the Falcon 2. That is a Long Story starting in San Diego. I can describe it further if needed.

The Rube weighs in at 4650 with a full tank of gas. I don't put anything in it when towing.
40 REPLIES 40

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
David_homen wrote:

The users manual for the jeep even says to put it in the unlock position after putting the transfer case in N and transmission in P.

My 2013 is the same as your 2014 mechanically, but your manual sure is different than mine. Here is the quote from the 2013 Wrangler owners manual...

RECREATIONAL TOWING (BEHIND MOTORHOME, ETC.)
Towing This Vehicle Behind Another Vehicle
Towing Condition Wheels OFF the Ground Four-Wheel Drive Models
Flat Tow NONE See Instructions

Use the following procedure to prepare your vehicle for
recreational towing...

1. Bring the vehicle to a complete stop.
2. Turn OFF the engine.
3. Press and hold the brake pedal.
4. Shift the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or
depress the clutch pedal on a manual transmission.
5. Shift the transfer case lever into NEUTRAL (N).
6. Start the engine.
7. Shift the transmission into REVERSE.
8. Release the brake pedal (and clutch pedal on manual
transmissions) for five seconds and ensure that there is
no vehicle movement.
9. Repeat Steps 7 and 8 with automatic transmission in
DRIVE or manual transmission in first gear.
10. Turn OFF the engine.
11. Firmly apply the parking brake.
12. Shift the transmission into PARK or place manual
transmission in gear (NOT in Neutral).

CAUTION!
Damage to the transmission may occur if the transmission
is shifted into PARK with the transfer case in
NEUTRAL (N) and the engine running. With the
transfer case in NEUTRAL (N) ensure that the engine
is OFF before shifting the transmission into PARK.

13. Attach the vehicle to the tow vehicle using a suitable
tow bar.
14. Release the parking brake.

We pull the key and lock the doors when we tow our '13.
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

David_homen
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
We have towed our 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 door 4X4 since new. Two round trips to southern Mexico without any issues. We tow with a32' 2002 Itasca Horizon DP.

Sigh ........... I just need to find the time to go and tow and tow and see what works and what doesn't

Thanks for the feedback.

David_homen
Explorer
Explorer
DJK 18205 wrote:
You should not have to unlock the wheel. It should turn without the key in it, we never leave ours in there and lock the doors. Transfer case in "N" and transmission in "P"

My wheel locks up and the tires will not turn. I Have tried most everything else, suppose I can do that too. My last Jeep truly was "Drag Around The Corners" without the key unlocked.

The users manual for the jeep even says to put it in the unlock position after putting the transfer case in N and transmission in P.

DJK_18205
Explorer
Explorer
You should not have to unlock the wheel. It should turn without the key in it, we never leave ours in there and lock the doors. Transfer case in "N" and transmission in "P"
Dennis & Sandy Brooksville, Florida
Dogs : Bosley - Cisco - Elly
2013 Itasca Sunstar 35F - 2012 Jeep Wrangler - 1996 HD Dyna Low Rider

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
We have towed our 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4 door 4X4 since new. Two round trips to southern Mexico without any issues. We tow with a32' 2002 Itasca Horizon DP.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
David_homen wrote:
tropical36 wrote:
David_homen wrote:
It has been awhile since posting last. I have only had the opportunity to tow the Jeep once. I tried the white rag on the steering wheel. From what I could see, all seemed to track correctly. I even lengthened the safety chains. It still drug the jeep around the same corner and stalled out. It really seems to be prevalent when turning right? Still more to do before I throw in the towel.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I especially like the post about the ass end of the coach rotating counter to the turn. That explained a lot especially as to why the Jeep jumps up on the curb when I pull away from parking close to it.

Dave

Tow bars level and what are they. I forget the year of your Jeep and are you sure the steering isn't locked. Also assuming it's wheels are in proper alignment, but still can't see this happening.

It is a Falcon II tow bar, the jeep is a 2014 Rubicon 4 door. I am very sure the wheels aren't locked. The new Jeeps don't like to have the battery disconnected so when I put the key in the unlock position everything is on. I even tried to disengage the traction control. No Joy .........

Why are you putting putting the key in the unlock position? We turn everything off, lock the doors and take the key with us.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Jagtech
Explorer
Explorer
It might be the non-slip differentials in the Jeep that's causing your grief. I'm thinking that one (or both) diffs are locking up during a long turn, which would make the inner and outer wheels want to turn at the same speed. Try using the factory-recommended friction modifier additive in the diff oil, front and rear, to see if that helps.
1998 Triple E F53
1995 Jeep Wrangler toad

David_homen
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
David_homen wrote:
It has been awhile since posting last. I have only had the opportunity to tow the Jeep once. I tried the white rag on the steering wheel. From what I could see, all seemed to track correctly. I even lengthened the safety chains. It still drug the jeep around the same corner and stalled out. It really seems to be prevalent when turning right? Still more to do before I throw in the towel.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions. I especially like the post about the ass end of the coach rotating counter to the turn. That explained a lot especially as to why the Jeep jumps up on the curb when I pull away from parking close to it.

Dave

Tow bars level and what are they. I forget the year of your Jeep and are you sure the steering isn't locked. Also assuming it's wheels are in proper alignment, but still can't see this happening.

It is a Falcon II tow bar, the jeep is a 2014 Rubicon 4 door. I am very sure the wheels aren't locked. The new Jeeps don't like to have the battery disconnected so when I put the key in the unlock position everything is on. I even tried to disengage the traction control. No Joy .........

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
Chrysler/Jeep techs do say it seems to be the proportioning valve. But alas Jeep won't help.

phnguyk
Explorer
Explorer
You may have the dreaded caliper failure. Which is primarily right front brake caliper locks, warps rotor and warps the wheel. Some have reported left front and a few with rear brakes. It won't matter if the brakes are apllied or not over time it gets warped so bad. My '08 does it, jeep knows there's a problem but just like the oil consuming 3.8l's refuse to issue a recall.

Best part is, I've had the rotor, caliper, pads, even the wheel replaced and eventually returns, one way to test for it is drive the jeep and slam on the brakes, does it pull slightly to the right, careful though it could pull real hard.

I love my jeep but hate it too.

one more thing try towing with the front sway bars disconnected, the rubicons have a heavier spring rate than the regular Unlimiteds.

David_homen
Explorer
Explorer
It is a few miles down the road with several twists and turns in the housing area. It is the retractable kind and I too make sure they are all the way out and locked. I stop after the second turn and verify it.

Thanks Larry!

B's Bunch wrote:
How far down the road is this curve from your house. Is this the only curve where this happens. Is your tow bar the kind that has a bar release where you can extend or retract them. Mine has a quick release on each arm. I have noticed on a couple times that one arm did not catch. I usually set the toad brake from the coach to bring the toad back in line with the coach and can feel it lock. If yours is not locked it will indeed travel outside the path of your MH and may very well turn sharper and drag. If any of the above is what you have be sure the bar arms lock. Good luck Larry

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
How far down the road is this curve from your house. Is this the only curve where this happens. Is your tow bar the kind that has a bar release where you can extend or retract them. Mine has a quick release on each arm. I have noticed on a couple times that one arm did not catch. I usually set the toad brake from the coach to bring the toad back in line with the coach and can feel it lock. If yours is not locked it will indeed travel outside the path of your MH and may very well turn sharper and drag. If any of the above is what you have be sure the bar arms lock. Good luck Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
David_homen wrote:

Dave

"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for returning to update us. We'll be interested if you ever find a reason. Good luck!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

David_homen
Explorer
Explorer

Dave