cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving Class A after triple heart bypass

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
DH had triple bypass heart surgery January 13th. He is extremely well except he is still very sore and the scar is very sensitive. He is able to drive our toad short distances but afterward he has more soreness and pain where they harvested the artery on the left chest. Just wanted to hear from others who have had bypass surgery and have a Class A to drive. How long did it take you before you could drive the RV again without difficulty? We don't want to push it. I can drive the RV so we can leave after his next doctor appointment in June. We are full timers and once we do head out we have plenty of time so we can limit driving time to 2 hours per day if needed.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi
9 REPLIES 9

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
thanks everyone for sharing your recuperation and challenges. We're just taking one day at a time right now. Hope to see you on the road again soon. We sure miss our travels. I saw a spider web on the wheel well today. I told him that's a sign it's time to go!! LOL.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Great to see you are a co-driver, as a fulltimer that is great. many wives are not, That said I'm the navigator and have been since staying in Tucson, late November 2009 in our 40' Phaeton. I had a "heart therapy" administered 2 mornings in a row at 5 AM by my implanted cardioverter defibrillator. Talk about a rude awakening, I've had it happen before and since, but being "zapped" isn't fun. My electro-physiologist advised no driving for 6 months. Since that 2nd morning I've driven the motorhome about 500 miles out of approximately 50,000 miles. Scottiemom loves to drive, and I don't have a problem telling her where to go. ๐Ÿ™‚ I do most of the driving of the toad and we share driving of our B+, but not the big motorhome, I could do way too much damage to others with it going down the road. Being "dead weight" while I'm "out" means my wife can't move me at all, she tried and failed that first morning in Tucson.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Very accurate, and well said Johnny.

Dianne, take heed.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

JohnnyT
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diane,in general I think you will find that most of us who have had a bypass have all recovered and have more or less reentered our lives. My odyssey began Dec 26 2009...

The time it takes is dependent on the state of condition prior to the event that precipitated the bypass surgery. It is also dependent on how hard the bypass patient is wiling to work to recover physical abilities.

The real gateway is not the driving of a class A but the loading unloading and set up. I was driving our class A after about three months... But was limited in my ability to lift and carry. I still have some lingering lifting and carry limitations which is a combination of post surgery issues and a long standing lower back issue.

I lost a lot of muscle due to atrophy from prolonged inactivity due to complications some if which I have not recovered...

While I had not run a marathon in 27 years I ran/walked one 9 months after heart attack and triple bypass... I have completed additional 25 marathons, 50 half marathons and many other races of lessor distances.

The point of all this is that having a heart attack and bypass surgery does not necessarily limit future physical capabilities.. There are some limitations but they are such as they can be coped with and limited in terms of impacting a normal life...

I have some limitations due to my surgery, some due to age (73) and other due to attitude (what I am willing to endure) Driving our class A is one of the most relaxing things I get to do... The loading, unloading, and some of the setup are a challenge for me...

In terms of pain/discomfort... I am thinking it is suppose to hurt and be uncomfortable recovering from bypass surgery...

Without knowing your husband, it is hard to approximate his comfort zone in terms of rehabilitation, and realization that there is a new normal to be embraced... I am not sure how long it took MY DW (Becky) to diminish her concerns about my vitality/absence of being fragile but I can tell you that my progress exceeded her expectations so there were some adjustments that took place...

Johnny
2004 40DS02 Travel Supreme ISL 400
Jeep Grand Cherokee, Ford F150
M&G Brake & Break Away
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow bar

TX_AG
Explorer
Explorer
I had my quad in 2007.
As I recall, it was about 6 weeks when I first started to drive the RV. I don't remember driving the RV, a Fleetwood Discovery DP, being any more stressful than driving the toad. If I could drive the one, I could drive the other.
That being said, I did have a tight feeling in the scar area for about 6 to 9 months before it completely went away. So when it started to bother me, I would back off from whatever I was doing.

I can tell you that every day will be a little better than the day before, so just do what you feel like doing. You will be up to full speed in no time.

Good luck.

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
It's been a long time, and I was only 47 when I had my quad. If June is the target date for travel your hubby should be fine. You don't want to push it as you say. I remeber play 9 holes of golf at 12 weeks and was extra careful not to swing really hard. Had best 9 hole score ever. Things may be tender for a while.

Long time since my quad also, but I was back to work, including climbing ladders and crawling in attics, in 8 weeks.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
I was on the road again in 6 weeks.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's been a long time, and I was only 47 when I had my quad. If June is the target date for travel your hubby should be fine. You don't want to push it as you say. I remeber play 9 holes of golf at 12 weeks and was extra careful not to swing really hard. Had best 9 hole score ever. Things may be tender for a while.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Diane, everyone heals differently. I had shoulder surgery and it took me only about 6 weeks before my arm would function properly. My daughter had the same surgery and it took her over three months....I know Marines can be stubborn but his doctor would be the best judge of when he should resume driving. Be sure to encourage him to follow the exercise programs his doctor/physical therapist has set up for him. The better adherence to the exercise the better and more quickly he will heal....wishing him the best and a very speedy recovery.....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG