Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Driving with Hazards On!

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Please allow me to vent.

A couple of days ago I had to drive in a toad strangler of a thunderstorm in South Florida. Visibility was bad and made it unsafe to drive more than 20 MPH.

IT IS ILLEGAL AND UNSAFE TO DRIVE WITH HAZARD FLASHERS ON!!!

It renders your turn signals inoperative and makes it hard to tell if you apply the brakes. Plus you can't tell if the vehicle is moving or stopped.

Hazards are for vehicles parked or disabled along the roadway. Turns your headlights on and leave the flashers off. If it is too bad, try to pull well off the roadway and only then turn on the hazards!

The number of people driving with the flashers on created a very scary and dangerous condition.
52 REPLIES 52

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Gau 8 wrote:
eric1514 wrote:
Gau 8 wrote:
Please allow me to vent.

I don't think that's true. Trucks moving on multi-lane roads that fall 20 mph below the posted speed limit will almost always turn on their flashers. I see nothing in the AZ code that prevents their use while traveling. I used to do it when I drove a school bus and I do it now in my RV when grades and towing make me a hazard to others that are traveling the speed limit.

Eric

In Az hazard light use is not permitted except in an emergency! It is the law. Look it up!

I did look it up. It said nothing about having to be stationary during said emergency.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
First of all. The states that do not permit the use of hazard lights are not a 'vast majority' on that AAA posted link. Commercial trucks and school buses must follow different laws than private vehicles. If the conditions were so bad that visibility was nile-you should have pulled off.

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
eric1514 wrote:
Gau 8 wrote:
Please allow me to vent.

I don't think that's true. Trucks moving on multi-lane roads that fall 20 mph below the posted speed limit will almost always turn on their flashers. I see nothing in the AZ code that prevents their use while traveling. I used to do it when I drove a school bus and I do it now in my RV when grades and towing make me a hazard to others that are traveling the speed limit.

Eric

In Az hazard light use is not permitted except in an emergency! It is the law. Look it up!

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
2chiefsRus wrote:
Hazard Light Use - State by State
While that may be true in Florida, it is not true in all states. I have been in some western states, where the signs specifically say to use your Flashers when slow going up long grades.

Your own link shows it to be illegal in the vast majority of states. For good reason. In my example it made a bad situation worse.

eric1514
Explorer
Explorer
Gau 8 wrote:
Please allow me to vent.

Eric
2006 Dynamax Isata IE 250
420 Ah batteries
400w Solar

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
Hazard Light Use - State by State
While that may be true in Florida, it is not true in all states. I have been in some western states, where the signs specifically say to use your Flashers when slow going up long grades.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

Gau_8
Explorer
Explorer
Who taught you this?

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/laws/hazard-light-use/

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Gau 8 wrote:
Please allow me to vent.

A couple of days ago I had to drive in a toad strangler of a thunderstorm in South Florida. Visibility was bad and made it unsafe to drive more than 20 MPH.

It renders your turn signals inoperative and makes it hard to tel if you apply the brakes. Plus you can't tell if the vehicle is moving or stopped.

Hazards are for vehicles parked or disabled along the roadway. Turns your headlights on and leave the flashers off. If it is too bad, try to pull well off the roadway and only then turn on the hazards!

The number of people driving with the flashers on created a very scary and dangerous condition.

I was taught to use hazard lights whenever you must drive 15 miles below the posted speed limit.