cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual stage propane regulator

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2011 Forest River Wildcat 5er. All indications I have a faulty propane regulator that I will be replacing. I have two 30# tanks, one on each side forward of the basement area. The regulator is an automatic two stage, located in the tank bay on the RH side. On the LH side there is a single stage regulator that does not appear to be a factory install, I bought this rig used. I've had other RV's in the past and have never seen this type of set-up. I see no reason not to eliminate the single stage regulator, Thoughts?
7 REPLIES 7

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Off side (LH) propane cylinder has that single stage regulator to drop cylinder pressure down to 30# PRIOR to going across front of rig to the 2 stage main regulator where system pressure is dropped to 0.4#

Reason for that 'regulation/requirement' is full cylinder pressure (between 100# and 200#) in that long hose over time can become liquid when not used.
Liquid will destroy a regulator

The other NFPA Regulation for propane is 5.3.11.1
**The regulated high pressure piping shall be located entirely on the exterior of the vehicle or in a compartment vapor resistant to the vehicle interior

So short high pressure hose to 30# regulator is inside the off side propane compartment then Low pressure propane runs across front of RV INSIDE the front cap.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info.

tlerchba
Explorer
Explorer
Exactly correct. It's a must have.
Tim & Leesa, 2013 Ford F250 6.7 Diesel, 2012 Keystone Avalanche.

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
The hose from the left tank runs under the bedroom of the trailer, don't want high pressure there if it blows up.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
I think he's referring to this:
5.3.11.2 Propane system pressure shall be regulated to a pressure of 30 psi (206.8 kPa) or
less within 60 in. (125.4 cm) of the container outlet.
...and the one tank is more than 60 in. away from the switchover regulator.

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
BB_TX wrote:
The single stage high pressure regulator is there as a requirement by the National Fire Protection Association Standard for Recreational Vehicles to drop line pressure to 30 psi.

I understand what you are saying, but, why does the left side tank pigtail go through a single stage regulator, then the pig tail from the regulator connects to the main dual stage regulator. The tank on the right connects directly to the two stage regulator.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
The single stage high pressure regulator is there as a requirement by the National Fire Protection Association Standard for Recreational Vehicles to drop line pressure to 30 psi.