cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Electric Blanket or Heated Matress Pad

Elizabeth24
Explorer
Explorer
What would be better. We usually travel in cooler weather and thought that perhaps one of these would save on propane and heating up the entire RV.

Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Over the years, we've had both heated mattress covers and electric blankets. I think we like the electric blanket better.

The advantage of the heated pad is so you lay on the heat. It's great for warming up a very cold bed. The advantage of an electric blanket .... you can use it to wrap in while watching television from the couch! There is the difference!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
6 of one, half dozen of the other. I put a mattress pad UNDER the mattress. It modifies the heat to a gentle warmth so we aren't jiggling the control all night. Heat does rise and the thermal mass of the mattress distributes the warmth.

Another note: if you have a window at the head of the bed, your head will be chilled in cold weather. We created a "headboard" with rigid foam insulation and covered it in quilt batting and a matching fabric. Then we wedged it in place over the window. Other cold weather campers have copied that idea and found they sleep better.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

MikeInOregon
Explorer
Explorer
We use a dual control heated mattress pad. My wife likes her side warmer. It uses a small amount of electricity. We power it using the inverter when dry camping.
2015 Ford F150 3.5L EcoBoost
2015 Creekside 20FQ
ProPride Hitch

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heat rises, so a heated mattress pad is more efficient than an electric blanket. Neither draws enough current to worry about. The annual cost of operating is about 1/2 that of a TV (about $10/year). My wife prefers the heated mattress pad, so that's what we use.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heat rises. An electric blanket heats and the bulk of it goes up into the air. An electric mattress pad heats and the bulk goes up and gets trapped by the blankets. So, with an electric mattress pad, you get more warmth for the same energy.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Electric blanket
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
We have a heated throw (40 x 60 I think). We use it just to warm up the bed before we get in.

If it's cool in the evening we hook it up outside so we can use it in a chair! That extends outside time.

Elizabeth24
Explorer
Explorer
Yes most of the time we are in RV parks so additional cost for electricity would not come into play unless we were to stay for a month
which is not what we usually do.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Mattress pad. Will you be on shore power when using it?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman