cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Eternabond Primer

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Do I need to use the Eternabond Primer prior to using the tape? Can I just thoroughly clean the area with alcohol and lay down the tape, roof is only 9 months old. I need to cover the seam on the front where the cap meets the roof, apparently someone had a bad day sealing this area. Any other tips would be appreciated also .
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian
14 REPLIES 14

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Halmfamily wrote:
LarryJM wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
Thanks everyone, I'll stop by Lowes and get some acetone. Happy Camping

One extremely important step IMO is to make sure when you clean an area you make sure your rag (use a dark colored one) is not still removing a lot of "white residue" which is the sacrificial flaking of the EDPM rubber. If there is too much of this residue left then the Eternabond tape will "lift" down the road since the residue will interfere with the microsealant holding.

Larry

This roof is only 9 months or so old and is tan not white. Is residue still going to be an issue?

Don't know :h, but if your not getting anything on the rag, but dirt then the residue issue might not be germane and I did specify that I was talking about EDPM which to my knowledge is either black or white AFAIK.

However, now that you mention this color I would make doubly sure of exactly what material your roof is and make sure what your using as the prep cleaner is the correct one.

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
LarryJM wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:

One extremely important step IMO is to make sure when you clean an area you make sure your rag (use a dark colored one) is not still removing a lot of "white residue" which is the sacrificial flaking of the EDPM rubber. If there is too much of this residue left then the Eternabond tape will "lift" down the road since the residue will interfere with the microsealant holding.

Larry

This roof is only 9 months or so old and is tan not white. Is residue still going to be an issue?

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
Halmfamily wrote:

Larry
2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
I used rubbing alcohol, years ago. Haven't had a single piece of tape lift off yet. Did all my roof seams.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't wash my roof and my trailer was 12 years old when I bought it. Roof was pretty dirty. I used the Eternaprime just to make certain it was properly cleaned and the Eternabond would stick. The spray can makes it easy to use and wasn't very expensive at all.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't use the primer. I cleaned with acetone as the company recommends.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Explorer
Explorer
WyoTraveler wrote:
Acetone is like killing ants with a hammer. Most use mineral spirits. You need it clean you don't need to remove paint or melt rubber.

Are you really kidding me? Mineral spirits has a petroleum base. (OIL) that Eternabond will not adhere to. Please don't tell people this. As my dad always told me (Put your brain in gear before you put your mouth in motion)
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

LarryJM
Explorer II
Explorer II
WyoTraveler wrote:
Acetone is like killing ants with a hammer. Most use mineral spirits. You need it clean you don't need to remove paint or melt rubber.

Not sure where you get "MOST", but I think mineral spirits is way further down on the list of cleaners and in fact don't think Eternabond even recommends using it. Besides potentially leaving a residue, it takes WAY TOO LONG TO DRY. I think you will find that Eternabond recommends Acetone or Lacquer Thinner along with their branded cleaner as the preferred cleaning agents.

I used Lacquer Thinner since it dries the quickest and leaves no residue. I also tried Acetone, but found Lacquer Thinner better.

Larry

xaugievike
Explorer
Explorer
A while back someone posted that the primer was UN chlorinated (emphasis added) brake cleaner. I used it with success.
2015 Chevy Silverado 3500hd DRW.
Pulling Keystone Cougar 325SRX

A buddy and I started a blog - you can read it here:
http://twoguyscamping.blogspot.com

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
No. You don't need the Eternabond Primer.
Just use mineral spirits or acetone. Clean the area well before applying.
You do need a roller to apply the Eternabond properly.

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
Do I need to use the Eternabond Primer prior to using the tape? Can I just thoroughly clean the area with alcohol and lay down the tape, roof is only 9 months old. I need to cover the seam on the front where the cap meets the roof, apparently someone had a bad day sealing this area. Any other tips would be appreciated also .

Eternabond recommends acetone or laquer thinner (which I use) when you've just removed old Eternabond tape and the old tape's micro sealant still remains.

Check out Eternabond's video library.
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer

therink
Explorer
Explorer
For me, Acetone applied with a rag worked well.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.