cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Etiquette and Courtesy for Tourists & Visitors

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thought I'd start this because of a conversation with a friend. Their main complaint is when tourists and visitors come up to them and start asking nosy questions about how they dress, etc. They live near a tourist town. They have a farm so they wear overalls or other non-trendy clothing.

So two I want to share.
1. Don't go up to people and ask them about their clothing or their religion.
2. Don't park the RV in spaces in small towns. Parking is limited enough for many of those towns. Find out where you can park your rig without taking up 2 or more parking spots.

Are there any guidelines you would like to share about how to behave as a tourist or visitor?
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus
34 REPLIES 34

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
As long as you are polite about it...most people are happy to talk about themselves and their religion.

They aren't obligated to discuss but if they refuse to discuss, they don't get to complain when misconceptions abound.

This is particularly important in a tourist area. If they come across as standoffish or rude when polite questions are made, expect it to hurt the local tourist business.

And ask about where I live as well. I live one of the prettiest parts of the world. I am glad to talk about it. I may be able to help you find something. As for my cloths. It is what it is.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I really don't get the post? I guess if you are offended easily you shouldn't be living in that type of area to begin with. Like the person that buys a home next to the train tracks and complaines of the noisy train . If someone asks questions nicely, it shouldn't be a problem. If they dont ask nicely then the problem is with the attitude rather then the question itself. I do agree with the parking, i can always walk a bit to get to where i need to be. But some towns don't have rv parking. And you only choice is to take up 2 regular spots? What do you do then? Move on to the next town?
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
As long as you are polite about it...most people are happy to talk about themselves and their religion.

They aren't obligated to discuss but if they refuse to discuss, they don't get to complain when misconceptions abound.

This is particularly important in a tourist area. If they come across as standoffish or rude when polite questions are made, expect it to hurt the local tourist business.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Please don't mistake curiosity for nosiness. If they are asking these questions it's quite possible they are trying to learn, possibly so they don't commit a faux pas. A polite "I'd rather not answer" should do the trick. That said...

1. Follow the rules. Period. This includes in RV parks. If the rule is no dogs then don't take your dogs, etc.
2. Agree about the parking issue. Have been too many places where rigs are just taking up too much space.
3. Behave. Don't exhibit bad behavior under the guise of "I'm a tourist".
4. Look up the word "respect" in the dictionary and practice it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Respect goes a long way where ever you travel.