cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Evading Nashville and Indianopolis

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Taking a trip up 24 to 65 to 69 or return takes at least two hours through Nashville many times for a distance of ten miles or so.
Indy can be near as bad or worse for 20 miles.
My idea of RVing is not staying on the road touring their potholes for 4 hours of a trip.
I have sat and figured on all the roads east and west of Nashville and reached the conclusion you can't avoid "Nashville." Nashville being the environ of maybe 50 miles in any direction and cross road for the East.
It is as bad or worse than Atlanta I75 or any of the other Interstates and roads.
So how do you avoid Nashville and Indy on your way north or south?
There has to be a way.
24 REPLIES 24

Fizz
Explorer
Explorer
BobR wrote:
It's all timing. I try to travel through major cities mid morning or early afternoon. Bypasses add too many miles for little if any gain.

I second this, some bypasses add to much time and distance.
It's all in the timing.
If it's time for our overnighter we go through the city and find a spot past it. This way we avoid morning rush hour.

TrailerTravele1
Explorer
Explorer
Almost two hours on I-24 through Chattanooga on Monday ... at mid-day no less. Ugh! Made Nashville seem like a cakewalk!
Cheers! Jan & David

Just returned from our First "Snowbird" Winter ... 25,000 miles, 26 states, 23 National Parks ... and counting....

TrailerTraveler.net

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
down home wrote:

So how do you avoid Nashville and Indy on your way north or south?
There has to be a way.

Not a reasonable one.
Indy has a good bypass.....although rather busy most of the time.
You can use either side of the "loop".

Nashville isn't that bad (dozens of trips) IF you avoid rush hours.
Briley Parkway might be useful.

If you have had serious problems with those places, you have either been really unlucky OR you went through at the wrong time of day.

If you give us your start and end points I'm sure that you will get a bunch of suggestions for alternate routes; some of them might even be useful.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Nashville and Indianapolis are your two top issues? try Atlanta, Chicago, Balt/Wash, etc.etc.
bumpy

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
It's all timing. I try to travel through major cities mid morning or early afternoon. Bypasses add too many miles for little if any gain.

padre1944
Explorer
Explorer
Rt. 155 or Briley Parkway takes you around Nashville easily. Most cities have an outerbelt that is usually better than going through town. As another poster said, get a map. I never go through cities if I can help it.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Went through and it's a non issue during off hours. I even went through Atlanta around on Friday afternoon and it wasn't what o consider bad. And I live in the Chicago suburbs so I know Rush hour.

Time it right and you will sail right through. Or plan your route around the major cities.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Get a map !

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
first, nashville and indy are not anywhere near as bad as hotlanta. that said we go thru nashville not infrequently and usually time it for mid-day hours which make it no issue. we just came thru indy the other day and always use the i-465 bypass. i-465 south between i-70 on the east side of indy to i-74 on the west side took just over 25-min at or above the posted limits at around 3pm. and the road itself was in much, much better shape than 65 or 70 thru town. we've found that the by-passes around cities are usually the better choice and to take them between 10a-3p.

to the OP... I-65 north to I-465 north to I-69.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We travel through there often all depends on the time of day. There's not a big city anywhere in the country that doesn't have a Rush Hour.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu