cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ever had a Bad trip?

thirtydaZe
Nomad
Nomad
The kind where everything goes wrong? We've been at the camping thing 4-5 years now, and have never really had a sour trip.

So i spend Wed. evening last week prepping for a 3 night stay a few hours south of home, a place we've never been. Indian Cave State Park, in Neb.

We set off like usual, and my first stop at a truck stop, i hop into the camper to use the bathroom, to find water everywhere, and pools in the carpet. I forgot to plug the cooler, and my 20 lb bag of ice melted and leaked right out.

So we arrive, and drive right past the campground, and end up almost having to back out 1/4 a single lane road, luckily someone came up behind us and notified, since the gate was open it wasn't yet underwater from the flooding Missouri river, and there was a turn around point if we kept driving.

It was stormed before our arrival, so the roads were wet, i had to back our TT into our spot uphill on wet blacktop, my tires spun trying to get situated in very tight quarters.

Since the storm, our site was covered, and surrounded by mud.

It was terrible humid.

It was Hot.

The bugs were crazy bad.

The next day, things dried out, so i re-parked the TT in effort to get better situated, and more level, things dried out around us and it was fine.

However, that night, thunderstorm, everything soaked, and again with the mud, and the biting bugs.

We left a day early, and came home.

Time to go out and wipe this trip off the books.
2019 Jayco Eagle HT 324BHTS
2024 Ram 2500 68RFE
32 REPLIES 32

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a typical camping trip in Oregon except we would have to substitute "It was very cold" for "It was very hot". Didn't see any reference to mechanical breakdowns either.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Branched Oak Nebraska on the 13-22 and wow the storms rolled through, I find it kinda funny that people leave the awnings out a few are lucky it did not tip the camper over with that big sail hanging out there. I feel bad for them as they rip the awning off a new camper and throw it in the dumbster, We were really lucky only lost 2 poles on our pick nik table shelter/bug screen. We got over 3 inches of rain that night the boat was soaked as was the camping spot but by 10 in the morning it had dried up well. Always make the best of a bad deal.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
thirtydaZe wrote:

It was stormed before our arrival, so the roads were wet, i had to back our TT into our spot uphill on wet blacktop, my tires spun trying to get situated in very tight quarters.

Well as to the tire spin. This is discussed in depth in this post.

4WD vs. 2WD

Then there is water!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"