cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Reading outlet voltage

bskomp
Explorer
Explorer
Hey everyone newbie here and need help and a lot of time to read all the info on this forum. I've been reading about voltage drop and warning's online. But here's the thing I know just enough about voltage and amp to get in trouble or break something. However i do try to careful.

With all that being said I have a ? that I just can't' get a straight answer on. Answer on Will my a/c unit make a outlet drop below 20% voltage reading? I've seen drops as low as 102 last night. So just shut it down. I just bought this camper it's set up in a park that's been around. So wiring is old the camper is 09 model and has been on site for three years now so I'm not sure the amount of abuse that the a/c has encountered. I had the handy man come out last night and change lugs in 30amp post and install new breaker. Came on and worked for a bit hen went right back to surging again reading's dropped to 103-109 for a short period then tripping breaker. So Now I'm worrying if it has already killed a/c unit.

Just wanted to make sure it's not my a/c unit before I call him back and worry him over my ignorance or him pointing the finger /blame on my camper. Sorry for long post but high temps with pups/kids got to get to bottom of this. Thanks guys for any thoughts/info.
31 REPLIES 31

bskomp
Explorer
Explorer
Well changed breaker.know I to turn all the way down to 50 for the unit to recycle crazy. when it first started it was at 70 then hasn't came back on until you slide it down to 50. got fan running now to draw in hot air. but it's 80 outside and camper sits in shade.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
You might try running the AC for an hour or so.
Feel the breaker first then run the AC for an hour and see how hot the breaker gets. Compare temperature with one adjacent to it.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

bskomp
Explorer
Explorer
At this point it's the only thing I haven't fooled with other than cleaning making sure lugs were tight.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
It could be the breaker getting weak. When voltage drooped, amperage went up to a pint that it tripped.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bskomp
Explorer
Explorer
it keeps clicking " thermostat ' that is and then the breaker trips. I might be on to something cause if I turn the temp all the way down it runs just fine. Oh and by the way it is the breaker in coach not pole. But however before it tipped this last time the pole voltage dropped to 109 and then click. ready to just unbolt the dang thing to ust it as a boat anchor.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What was tripped? The branch breaker feeding the AC inside the coach?
Did you check the connections in the 120 volt AC panel?
The branch breaker for the AC unit could be weak or going bad from numerous trips. Breaker should be available at your Lowes store.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

bskomp
Explorer
Explorer
Well did great for a day and right back to doing what it was doing. It has got to be the power at pole done fine all night and morning with to lowes and walmart and came back to a dead tripped a/c. at least it was cool and pups wasn't burning up.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I love a story with a happy ending.:B
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bskomp
Explorer
Explorer
Morning Westend I'm using a fluke 189 and used a fluke amp meter. I did have the converter cut off. That was my first thing I did not knowing battery condition. Bought new filter and foam cleaner yesterday and electro grease. Cleaned everything. All is working fine now. Just need to get transformer cause voltage is still tends to run a little lie when everyone comes in for dinner and ready for the night all the ac and microwave start up. But we made it threw the evening and night just fine. Thank to everyone's help. Wife said she was glad to run of the penguins off yesterday afternoon. Also she thankful to everyone.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
113V on a 120v system is acceptable. I'll ask again, what are you using to measure the voltage? If you are using anything less than a handheld meter, you may be getting inaccurate measurements.

Here's another tip: Have you cleaned the interior filter on the AC unit? If your battery is old or is not in good condition, the converter may be drawing a lot of current trying to charge a bad battery.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

bskomp
Explorer
Explorer
Okay a little recap I went to town today and the only surge protector they have was for over voltage which is Not a problem. LOL! Anyways I did pick up some a/c coil cleaner to and elec. grease for all contacts. Cleaned all wiring contacts. Cleaned a/c unit. has worked fine so far. also put meter on pole instead of inside camper. With everything cut off including the converter unwired I'm only pulling 118v But the weird thing at idle it floats from 118-115 so it has to be a combo of low voltage dirty ac and air temp sensor on coils. After one at a time loading it back up with all appliances It still hasn't dropped below 113.5. So now I'm just waiting for all campers to return from pool to see what might happen to voltage. Think I'm going to have to break down and buy a transformer for security. Do not want this crazy thing to act up if we run to pool with pups in camper.

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
If you can't get the voltage issue resolved to your satisfaction you might try running your other appliances on propane only (i.e., water heater and fridge). That will free up more current for the A/C. When weather permits and A/C isn't needed, go back to electric for the other appliances.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
bskomp wrote:
With all that being said I have a ? that I just can't' get a straight answer on. Answer on Will my a/c unit make a outlet drop below 20% voltage reading?

The reason you can not get A straight answer is that there is not one, there are many, depending on where you are parked and assorted other things.

I will explain...

In a modern park with COPPER lines and relative new hardware, on a site next to the power transformer, with cords and plugs on your RV in good condition.. NO, it won't.

But 30 amp cords and adapters do not remain in "Good condition" long, the plugs get.. Well, kind of nasty less you polish them (I do) often.. And if you have to use and extension cord.. Well that adds to the voltage drop.. IF the parks' outlet is a bit,,er,, nasty that adds to the voltage drop, so does an older breaker box with poor connections, an older breaker and one biggy ALUMINUM wires that were buried back around the time Hitler ran Germany... (Or for that matter even much later).

And the farther from the distribution box.. the greater the drop.

IF there is more than one site on your power chain, Then the drop increases even more as others "log in".

So you see, there no single answer..

how to monitor: I see many folks have recommended a meter Campign world sells for around 20 bucks.. I have one, works well, I use it to monitor the "AUX" circuit here.

Also I have a Kill-a-watt, it is on the primary circuit (Motor home has multiple 120 volt systems depending on site Im parked on).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
So you checked the water heater, microwave and they only dropped 4 volts or so from 120. Not that those appliances pull as much current as the ac but it seems as though you have a good voltage so it seems like the problem is with the ac unit. If you shut it off and pull the cover off the ac and be sure the fan spins freely. Cant tell you much about the ac unit. As others have said be sure nothing else is on. Put the frig on propane as it may pull two or three amps on elec