cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Extender Gas Cans

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
This past weekend, we had up to 10 hours running time in my RV with our Honda 2000 on 'ECO' mode. It was running the lights, furnace fan, fridge, radio, and about 300 watts of other equipment (we run telescopes, cameras, and laptops).

We were boondocking where generator sounds were not an issue since we had no neighbors.

Rather than have to 'gas up' first thing in the morning or top off, I am considering an extender gas can. So of course I have questions.

Given the photos of extender can products, is it true that the Honda siphons from the extender can? Is there a special cap for the Honda? Since I can run close to 10 hours on the gallon of fuel in the Honda, are there 2-3 gallon extenders? Are there preferred brands? Can I refuel the extender can while the Honda runs?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
18 REPLIES 18

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
The Honda EU2000i has a small fuel pump and can suck the fuel out of an external tank. In order to do so you will need to modify your existing fuel cap or buy one already modified.

The basic premise is you remove the vent from the center of the cap and replace it with a barbed fitting. Then put a fuel safe hose on the barbed fitting and run it over to your extended run tank.

As far as refueling while the generator is on, well that's up to you with how you hook to the extended tank and possibly how far away the tank is from the generator.

there are replacement caps available on Amazon. But the reviews aren't all that good. I like this youtube video as it shows how to use your existing cap and also includes all the parts in the description.
Link
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
I,m in ohio and the other night they showed a car at a red light poof up in flames .guy had couple gas cans in the back seat and lit a cig. fumes explode don,t take a chance.

Key information here:

lit cigarette
cans in back seat

:@
There is something special about camping in an RV.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I,m in ohio and the other night they showed a car at a red light poof up in flames .guy had couple gas cans in the back seat and lit a cig. fumes explode don,t take a chance.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Utube videos on the subject. Some do refill the "remote" tank while running. Logic is not spilling gas on a hot engine. It seems like the generator does suction the gas and a few make their own extended range gas cap out of spare generator gas caps.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,