cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

extending the hitch out of 2015 Ford Super Duty

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2015 F250 short bed crew cab, and I'm currently pulling a 2014 outback 250rs ~6000lbs (dry)trailer with approx 700-800lbs tongue weight. I'm using a Reese Dual Cam WDH with 1200lb bars.

I've recently acquired a Polaris RZR side by side UTV and would like to be able to haul it in the truck bed and still pull the TT, this requires the gate to be down, which is a problem since I can get my tail lights to touch the camper if I jack it really hard with the gate up.

I've seen some crazy setups that carry the UTV on top on the bed rails, or even over the cab...I'm not looking to spend 3k on some crazy apparatus like that.....

so obviously I need to extend the hitch. I understand fully that any extension of the hitch seriously lessens it's capacity. but other than trading in my brand new truck for a long bed what are my options? class IV 2.5" hitch w/extension? superhitch? or will my OEM hitch handle a 12-18" extnsion with the current WD system given my trailer weight?
36 REPLIES 36

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
Unless it has the optional camper package it is missing the overloads the 350 has. I haven't met a F250 with standard springs that didn't drag it's butt under a load like a 1000lb RZR and 800-900lbs tongue weight hanging an extra 2' behind the bumper.

Ps: by dragging it's butt I don't mean literally dragging the bumper, but sagging dramatically.

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
drittal wrote:
F250 with a RZR in the back and an extended hitch is going to drag it's backside. Be prepared to add bags or Timbrens.

:h

2015 F250 Payload in a crew cab configuration can have around 3000 lbs, plus the suspension is pretty much the same as a comparable F350 in the 2015 model year. How much do you think a Rzr weighs? It may squat, but it won't drag its backside at all.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

drittal
Explorer
Explorer
F250 with a RZR in the back and an extended hitch is going to drag it's backside. Be prepared to add bags or Timbrens.

SouthpawHD
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

Sorry, I have nothing to add but wanted to say WOW, that is one nice looking set-up!!!

Carry on.
Palomino SolAire 307QBDSK
2016 Chevrolet 2500, CC, 6.0L, 4.10

Bedlam
I have not had problem with pivot farther back. It actuall helps with trailer tracking when taking right turns.

Here is the dual receiver:

I hang mudflaps off the end of mine:

Here is the extension hitched up without the distribution bars:

How it looks:

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody think that will change the handling of the combo, extending the pivot point further back?
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

Bedlam
I pull an 8000 lb enclosed trailer with a 28" SuperTruss extension. It would squat my F250 the same as the when I used to trailer 11,500 lbs off the receiver, so there is more leverage applied to the truck as well as receiver when towing with an extension. Both use a WDH that is adjusted properly.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
measuring the extention I'm going to need, it' might only need to be 12-18", I know the torque lift is good for up to 48", but what about going with a class IV 2.5" hitch with a 12-18" extension since I'm not going as extreme a distance as some of the guys need to with the truck campers? This would be a much less expensive option if it was workable...I know the torquelift can handle more, but do I really need it for ~7k lbs

also can anyone give me real world experience about pulling ~7000lb via WDH with the 18-24" superhitch extention? I know I can feel a difference when I move the shank 2"...now I'm going to move it 2' ?? or is it just a matter of re adjusting the WDH head and bars?

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Torklift.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

pa_traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Torklift makes great hitches. I bought the superhitch to pull boat behind truck camper believe its 4 ft extension.

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
hawkeye-08 wrote:
BarneyS wrote:
I would give Torklift a call and explain your situation to them. I know they have a hitch/extension for use on truck campers that hang over the back of the truck so I'm pretty sure they would have something to fit your application.
Barney

X2 on Torklift, they will likely be able to help you.

Supertruss and Superhitch

just checked superhitch, looks like about $1200....not too bad.

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
BarneyS wrote:
I would give Torklift a call and explain your situation to them. I know they have a hitch/extension for use on truck campers that hang over the back of the truck so I'm pretty sure they would have something to fit your application.
Barney

X2 on Torklift, they will likely be able to help you.

Supertruss and Superhitch

katoom400
Explorer
Explorer
hedge wrote:
how much room do you need? have you seen the atv risers that just raise the front end up? it may be enough to give you the clearance you need.

not a chance with the rzr...much longer than an atv...

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
how much room do you need? have you seen the atv risers that just raise the front end up? it may be enough to give you the clearance you need.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You list DRY weights for your trailer, so really you're probably looking at closer to a 7000lb+ trailer with 1000lb+ tongue weight.

Torklift's Superhitch system is designed for use with a WD hitch extended as much as 48", and still has a 1200/12000lb trailer capacity at that length IIRC.

Reese makes an extension tube that does up to 34", but near as I can tell it is only rated for 600/6000lb trailers with WD.

Beyond that, the extensions you can find in stores, or from online sources like etrailer.com, are only rated for 350/3500 or 500/5000 at most, not for use with WD hitches.

Really, the only commercially available manufactured solution with the capacity you need is the Torklift Superhitch.

Truck camper guys that don't go with the Superhitch usually build something themselves or have it fabricated professionally. This requires some engineering know-how, though.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.