cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

External Speakers, do you really want them ?

mountainborn
Explorer
Explorer
While boondocking on a local lake we had quite a storm and found a drip in a kitchen cabinet. Back tracking we found the culprit. Here is the photos and repair story.

Photo and repair story
2010 Coleman Fifth wheel CT325
2008 Ford F350 Dually
2012 Jeep JK Hardtop
http://www.mountainborn.blogspot.com/
93 REPLIES 93

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
paulsang wrote:
Pirate wrote:
I would like to personally shoot the folks that designed RV's with external speakers. You noise should not leave the confines of your camp site. If it does, you are invading my space. I would like find a portable EMP device so I can disable all the electronics on stupid people to think they can play their outside speakers and tv's without regard for their neighbors noise privacy.

Invading your space? NOW, I've heard it all. Lord help the person that sneezes near you.
Apparently common courtesy is something you haven't heard of either. Just as in an apartment building, I wouldn't want to hear your music.

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
If one that I was looking at had outside speakers I would not buy it. Just as extra toy that I do not need our want. I would never want to disturb a neighbor.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

2500HDee
Explorer
Explorer
I loved sitting under the awning next to the river this weekend during a rainstorm playing cards and listening to music quietly with my friends. There was no one else within earshot because I choose to camp in areas where people are not nearby. If I wanted to be around people I would choose differently as some others do and that is fine. But to say that there should be no external speakers is silly.

Also to get all worked up about "noise pollution" when the original post is about water damage due to a leaking speaker is hilarious.

Thanks OP for posting this, I never even thought about making sure the speakers were sealed properly. I have checked roof accessories and windows but not the speakers. Now they are on my list. This is why we have forums.
2002 GMC Sierra 2500HD CCSB 6.0L
2012 Summerland 2600TB

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Shoe wrote:
My 'C' came from the factory with an outside "entertainment" center. I've never opened it in 10 years, so I looked.
Two speakers, a phone jack, 2 outlets to plug in more speakers, a 12v power plug, antenna connection and (2) 120V outlets.

Oh sure, now that you've discovered it, you're going to bother everyone around you for the next year! :B
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
My 'C' came from the factory with an outside "entertainment" center. I've never opened it in 10 years, so I looked.
Two speakers, a phone jack, 2 outlets to plug in more speakers, a 12v power plug, antenna connection and (2) 120V outlets.
If I wanted to live outside, I would have bought a tent.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow - a post about a leak being traced to an external speaker degrades into bellyaching about noise pollution in less than 2 pages! Gotta love the consistency here.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
Pirate wrote:
I would like to personally shoot the folks that designed RV's with external speakers. You noise should not leave the confines of your camp site. If it does, you are invading my space. I would like find a portable EMP device so I can disable all the electronics on stupid people to think they can play their outside speakers and tv's without regard for their neighbors noise privacy.

Invading your space? NOW, I've heard it all. Lord help the person that sneezes near you.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
I a not a fan of other peoples music nor do I impose my music on others.

In 8 years traveling & well over 1000 nights on the road & music message was delivered only once. Neighbour had been letting it rip for quite sometime with his flavour of country music. Not mine. In a brief lull he got a blast of Soca music & a shot of bluegrass. Message delivered. Campground went quiet again.

Blast the music all you want outdoors. Just make sure that you listen with headphones.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

noplace2
Explorer
Explorer
And therein lies another rub. YOUR idea of what is "respective" volume could be vastly decibels higher than what your neighbor can hear. We've been fulltiming for over 13 years and we don't normally site ourselves where anyone would care. If we do, we always ask them if our music/TV is too loud. We can pump 400 watts RMS into 5 speakers that can and do take it. Would we do that in a "campground"?, Never. Duh. Unless someone next to us REALLY ******* us off. Just a matter of common courtesy that isn't so common anymore.

An aside: We were in Alaska and asked by a gentleman adjacent to us to please turn off our TV. Reason? He was audiotaping eagles mating. We won't address whatever other problems he might have been having ๐Ÿ™‚

And yet again, I cannot emphasize more how wonderful wireless headphones can be. I sat and read an entire book outside today while listening to Darryl Hall%Company, Diana Krall and Pharell Williams in full fidelity with bass pumpin' sound WAY better than any external indoor or outdoor speakers and didn't bother a soul. It's a win-win folks.
โ€˜Love is whatโ€™s in the room with you if you stop opening presents and listen.โ€™ - Elain - age 8

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer
FunnyCamper wrote:
PackerBacker wrote:
When we first got the trailer I would set the volume then actually walk away from it to ensure they are not loud enough for everyone around us to hear. Now we know what volume number to keep them at.

:B we did this also. I know our volume and it is contained. I did the walk also ๐Ÿ™‚
The "walk" is not good enough. You need to go to your neighbors and ask them. I am very sensitive to sounds, particularly bass. Many think their garbage music is down enough but I can hear deep bass from a mile away. It bothers me and if I hear it, I will let you know. Be courteous, no outside speakers.

Pirate1
Explorer
Explorer

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm sidetracking but someone else started it. Our external entertainment system kept us going for many months. We could faintly hear music and so on but could never find it. Finally it dawned on us we had an external outfit. We had never used it but it was on at a real low volume, probably since before we purchased it. the volume was so faint we could not trace it by just listening to the compartment.

we

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
Blue tooth, or MP3 cable to a phone/tablet that is portable with my playlists is the way to go for us. We thought about speakers, but decided less is more, and I can toss the small portable speakers into a bag to take with us on hikes and other outings if we decide we want music. (most often on the beach)

There are speakers out there called Vibration Speakers. When you sit the tightly on a piece of furniture, it makes the furniture part of the speaker. I am DYING to try this with the bus!!! But not ready to drop $150 for a single speaker that may get damaged due to its' portability.

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
The really old country & western music is WAY better than what you get these days!

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
Cannot see the appeal of external speakers. DH hauls out a radio with cd player so we can listen to "country" music. Or a cd with something better:-) Personally I like the quiet. Just the folks riding by on carts or bikes is much nicer especially when a good conversation gets going:-) Would not have external speakers or an outside tv:-)