Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Feeling a lot of heat on outside furnace vent

goodwin297
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

There is a lot, I mean a lot and very hot heat coming through the vent on the outside of RV. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Trudi
Full-Time RVers since 6/16/2012

Our home:2015 Evergreen Bay Hill 340RK
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins Diesel Crew Cab
Doggies - Molli, Indi and Louie
22 REPLIES 22

aruba5er
Explorer
Explorer
They have been making the same ineffecient furnace for years because propane was only .25 cents a gal. What incentive does the camper maker have to put in a better one. You can BUY a 2 stage furnace from Atwood but the trailer maker ain"t gonna pop for the extra money. Would also be nice to make them a little QUIETER

mr__ed
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, it's normal. May seem inefficient but it's the only way to use propane safely to heat the RV (I wonder if that contributes to global warming? :B). For that reason I generally use electric space heaters if temps don't get too low. The main reason I use my fiver's heater is to keep water pipes from freezing at night. Even then I keep it at the lowest setting possible. In my previous RV I would place an electric lamp in the area near the fresh water tank and associated plumbing to ward off freezing at night.
Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
301TBS wrote:
The exhaust will melt your lawn chairs too!

Yes, and if that much heat were hitting the plastic registers inside they would melt also.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

dakonthemountai
Explorer
Explorer
If I am correct, because that heat is the exhaust vent from burning propane it's not all that good for you if you are too close and breathing the fumes... Unless, of course you are into that! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Dak
2018 GMC Denali "Extreme" and 23' EVO 2050T Travel Trailer
Escapee member #224325-Since 1992

301TBS
Explorer
Explorer
The exhaust will melt your lawn chairs too!
2019 Springdale 240BH
2009 F150 Scab 4x4, 4.6, 3v. 6spd. 3.73/9.75
Reese dual cam

goodwin297
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your replies. Some pretty funny. ๐Ÿ™‚

Trudi
Full-Time RVers since 6/16/2012

Our home:2015 Evergreen Bay Hill 340RK
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins Diesel Crew Cab
Doggies - Molli, Indi and Louie

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
Wow. Admin really took care of that idiotic post in a hurry. Good job.

Bruce
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Well there you go. Stick it outside your furnace vent and you can get a whopping 3.5 watts :R

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi SteveAE,

Funny you should mention that. My brother bought me a TEG (cup) as a birthday gift. It is only intended for doing cell phone recharges.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Thought of differently, a 20% loss (6kBTU) on my 30kBTU furnace is equivalent to ~1.8kWhrs. (Ugh, how I hate that furnace.) So yes, it will feel hot.

Pianotuna: I did some experiments using TEG's (Thermal Electric Generators) to recover some of the lost heat in the furnace exhaust by converting it to electrical current to charge the battery. However, the efficiency (<~15%) of those devices just makes it too impractical.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
From the Atwood installation manual for the 8500 series IV:
Atwood wrote:
: Furnace efficiency rating is a thermal rating determined under
continuous operating conditions, independent of any installation. Efficiency
rate is given at 77% minimum, actual efficiency rating may be higher.
-- Chris Bryant

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't touch that vent either, you can get a nice burn. Don't ask the wife how she knows this!
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

portscanner
Explorer
Explorer
TucsonJim wrote:
On cool mornings, I love to have my coffee while the DW is getting her beauty sleep. I like to sit near the exterior vent and enjoy the "wasted" heat.

x2
One beautiful wife -Trooper and Doc the furcampers
2019 Dodge 4500 Flatbed with 2013 Chalet TS116 http://www.brittanynews.us

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi beemer,

I find no ratings for input btu's vs output btu's at Attwood for the Hydroflame series. I did see a number of 77% based on continuous output. That could easily be lower with cycling. It also indicates it is a brand new redesigned unit which mine is not.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.