cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fifth Wheel Wiring Issue?

jonpearce1994
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, I'm hoping I can get some help here.. I recently purchased a 1983 royal coachmen camper.. I've been in the process of fixing it up. yesterday I decided to put a radio in it, it is already wired for one. So I went out and bought a cd player from walmart for a car, tested the wires in the camper, one had power the other was a ground with some speaker wires, I hooked it up and it would try to eject the cd but wouldnt turn on, it also blew the fuse, I put a bigger fuse in the cd player (stupid) and it did flicker on once, I was getting quite annoyed at this point and somehow manage to switch the ground and power wire around and it fried that cd player. So I bought another one today, hooked it up and the cd player just made a buzzing noise, wouldnt turn on.. i left it hooked up to power and after a minute it blew up in my hand.. with a crazy amount of smoke.. never blew the fuse or anything.. it looked like the previous owner had a car cd player in it.. So i'm trying to figure out what i'm doing wrong here? or if it could be a wiring issue with the camper? I've already wasted $300 and getting pretty frustrated with it... Thank you for any help!
19 REPLIES 19

jonpearce1994
Explorer
Explorer
Oh! Well I just ordered a new converter.. I suppose it needed replaced anyways.. Thanks for the help.. I'm sure I'll have many more questions.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
And no battery means no brakes!
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Fredzo
Explorer
Explorer
Rvpapa wrote:
Do you have a battery installed? Most older converters need a battery in the circuit to filter A/C component.
Art.

BINGO! No filter for the 6300! Gotta have a batt'ry!
2005 Georgetown 342DS XL
1989 Wrangler Sahara Toad
2005 Liberty Renegade Toad
Blue Ox Tow Bar, Brake Buddy
Retired on Jan 1, 2010!!!

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
OP, in your first post it sounds like the ground and negative speaker wires are tied together. If so that would also cause those issues.

Older car stereos used chassis ground for the negative speaker wire. All newer units require two separate wires per speaker.

jonpearce1994
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have a battery installed!

Rvpapa
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a battery installed? Most older converters need a battery in the circuit to filter A/C component.
Art.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
jonpearce1994 wrote:
One last question, http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-Amp-Power-Converter-With-Battery-Charger-Series-6300-Model-6345UL-Used-/171733743033 that is the exact one I have in my camper. Do I need to replace the whole thing, or just the lower part of it? And what should I replace it with? I've looked into them and there are a lot of options.

The converter is only the lower portion of the unit, and that's all that really needs to be replaced assuming everything else is in good condition. The DC fuse panel, if it uses those older style of glass fuses, may be a candidate for replacement purely for convenience in finding replacement fuses (typically the two blade automotive fuses are used now), but that's not required for safety.

Here is a link to a couple of nice convenient replacement/upgrade kits from a reputable place. There are other units that would also work well. I wouldn't suggest replacing it with an identical dinosaur; the technology has improved a great deal since yours was designed.

jonpearce1994
Explorer
Explorer
One last question, http://www.ebay.com/itm/45-Amp-Power-Converter-With-Battery-Charger-Series-6300-Model-6345UL-Used-/171733743033 that is the exact one I have in my camper. Do I need to replace the whole thing, or just the lower part of it? And what should I replace it with? I've looked into them and there are a lot of options.

itsabouttime
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the converter being a likely suspect. The older ones were a brute force variety and ought to be replaced as a matter of course. I second (or third) the need for a voltmeter and learning to use it properly. Sounds like you did that now that I re-read your post. Replacing a converter is not difficult but read the instructions and be sure you have it wired properly before you apply power. Also be sure you hook it with proper polarity to the battery.
Russ

jonpearce1994
Explorer
Explorer
Alright, thanks everyone.. I'm pretty new to this whole camper thing, and understand pretty much none of it haha.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is your problem, sounds like the converter is leaking AC. Meaning it is DEAD!

jonpearce1994
Explorer
Explorer
I got 12.7V dc.. It is a 12v car stereo but I also got 27 volts AC?

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
12VDC

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
jonpearce1994 wrote:
what kind of reading should I get from it? Thanks
A voltage reading that's compatible with the device you're trying to hook up to it.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman