cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Filling the water tank while on the road

dpkimmel2001
Explorer
Explorer
So far every place that I've ever 'dry camped', they've always had a place that I could fill when I arrived. In a couple weeks I'll be heading to a place that doesn't have that option. I don't want to tow the extra weight for the entire trip. I want to fill close to my destination point. Do truck plaza's have water available at the diesel islands? I'm just looking for any options. I know many Flying J's have a RV island but the one closest to my destination does not.
2013 Raptor 300MP
2008 GMC 2500 6.6 DMax SuperCrew
23 REPLIES 23

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will never know the difference in mpg with full or empty water tank. 17 years of FT research.

Jim

MiPaJacks
Explorer
Explorer
Take the weight of your combined rig w/o water, determine the MPG, then add the weight of the water and see what effect it has on MPG. That is what hauling water with you might cost. It ain't much. I haul water with me when on the road. Truck plus 5th is heavy,heavy,add water and it is still heavy!

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
grizz272 wrote:
Twice I have depended on water being available when I got to where I was camping. Twice I found their water was contaminated. I haul my water and know what i have will be good.

that is precisely why we never leave home or a campsite without a full or nearly-full fresh water tank. we had the same experience many years ago after arriving at the White's City RV Park near Carlsbad Caverns, NM. during check-in we learned that the New Mexico Dept. of Public Health had shut down the park's water system due to a massive e-coli contamination. We had maybe 20-gal of fresh water with us for a multi-day stay. we moved on to a different park the next morning after discovering the source of e-coli....piles and piles of horse dung was everywhere. on water spigots, picnic table benches, patios, etc. having a full tank of fresh water also allows us more spontaneity in our travels.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of gas stations have potable water available. Unfortunately there's no way to check ahead of time without calling ahead. I would imagine within 25 miles of your destination, there's got to be one gas station that would allow you to fill your tank. They could charge you for it, but it's probably worth not having to haul it.

On our MH, we can pull water into the Fresh water tank from any vessel that I can get my fresh water drinking hose into using the water pump. That's also how I sanitize the tank.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

grizz272
Explorer
Explorer
Twice I have depended on water being available when I got to where I was camping. Twice I found their water was contaminated. I haul my water and know what i have will be good.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
dpkimmel2001 wrote:
So far every place that I've ever 'dry camped', they've always had a place that I could fill when I arrived. In a couple weeks I'll be heading to a place that doesn't have that option. I don't want to tow the extra weight for the entire trip. I want to fill close to my destination point. Do truck plaza's have water available at the diesel islands? I'm just looking for any options. I know many Flying J's have a RV island but the one closest to my destination does not.

unless it would cause your RV to exceed it's GVWR go ahead and fill at home. I keep very precise mileage records and I've recorded a very negligible decrease in MPG while hauling 85-gal of fresh water.

beyond that you can fill your tanks at many truckstops although the spigot may not be as conveniently placed as those found at Flying J. is there a Pilot near your destination?
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
We will check and see where dump stations are. We will fill up there. We will also fill up at home before we leave - if it's just a weekend trip.

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
Fill the tank before leaving home?
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
I would much rather tow with an extra 500 lbs. (it really is not that much) than risk using water from a questionable source.