cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First time tow car with tow dolly.

Matthewc45
Explorer
Explorer
I tow our Camry for the frist time this weekend. I have a karkaddy tow dolly without brakes. I only tow it about 70 miles to the campground some back roads and interstate driveing and would have to say the motor home handle without any issue. Did not go far so no mpg at this time. Leaving the frist of June with it heading to South Carilona so I should have some good mpg readings after that trip.
2004 fleetwood jamboree 26q
Me,The wife,and Two boys
Time away from home camping is time while spent.
8 REPLIES 8

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Normal stops, you won't have any trouble. It is the butt clenching emergency stops we are talking about.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Matthewc45
Explorer
Explorer
I just made my first long trip with my tow dolly. Which was around 850 miles. So far it pull and work great. Have not had any issues with stoping it (most the trip all interstate) thanks for all the feed back.
Me,The wife,and Two boys

dbates
Explorer
Explorer
The KarKaddy SS I bought 8 years ago didn't have surge brakes. When I was planning some long trips through mountains I called Demco and installed the surge brake spring assembly they sent me. I did notice a little improvement in braking and figured Iโ€™d have better state law compliance. I don't know if this can be done with your particular model or age of dolly but it would be worth checking. Since mine was a recent purchase they didn't charge me for the parts; therefore, I don't know what the going price was then or is now. Demco provides very good customer service.

Dave
Plus New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island & Nova Scotia

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Vet Man wrote:
I would try an emergency stop from about 60mph before it is needed. That's a lot of weight without brakes, doubt if it is legal, in many states be careful

Actually, many states have braking performance standards. Here in Montana (MCA 61-9-312) you must be able to stop any "combination of vehicles" within 40 feet from 20 MPH on a clean, hard, level surface.
Other states (and FMVSS) have similar standards. CA, IIRC, is 45 feet.
Remember, a towed motor vehicle in many states does not meet the definition of a "trailer", and most braking laws refer to trailers. Most states do not have laws directly referencing towed motor vehicle braking.
DO NOT believe ANY "List of Towing Laws", especially those sponsored by auxiliary braking manufacturers! They are wrong more often than not!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

myrtle_beach_rv
Explorer
Explorer
I have been towing cars 2 PT Cruisers and 2 Jeeps on tow dolly for past 10 years with out any issues some trips 1200 miles through mountains of SC, NC, TN and KY which offer some pretty steep grades. Watch speed 60 mph max. keep dolly bearings greased, take it out of overdrive on the down hills.
2013 Tiffin Allegro 32CA
Toad 2012 Jeep Patriot
Prev. 2004 Allegro Bay 34XB
89 Coachman Catalina

Matthewc45
Explorer
Explorer
I am towing a 2012 Toyota Camry . I did do a few hard stops from 55-60 and it handle it with just a little push not much more than our boat. I have look into puting electic brakes on it just the funds have not came available.
Me,The wife,and Two boys

vic46
Explorer
Explorer
What are you hauling on the dolly?
[COLOR=]Never argue with an idiot. You will be dragged down to their level and then beaten with experience.

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I would try an emergency stop from about 60mph before it is needed. That's a lot of weight without brakes, doubt if it is legal, in many states be careful
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"