cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First tow with new 2019 Ram 3500 and ...disappointed.

jeffjcalweb
Explorer
Explorer
Hi - First, not disappointed at all with anything remotely to do with power, exhaust brake, transmission, adaptive cruise control. Those were awesome and no problems at all.

My first tow, its a 2019 3500 4x4 long bed with 20" OEM wheels and crapstone tires. I towed home a new 5th wheel (Keystone Cougar 364BHL which is probably in the 12-13K lbs range. had 2 full propane tanks, half full fresh water, two batteries, no other gear). I am using a Andersen Ultimate gooseneck setup.

What I was really disappointed with was how much 'tugging' i could feel on the back of the truck while driving. This wasn't from braking, this was just rolling down the highway steady speed of 60mph. For those in the area, this from Grants Pass, OR down to Sacramento, so talking about 300+ miles of I-5.

I was ready to get out of the truck after just 200 miles. Dreading every time I hit a rough patch or going over a bridge etc. Tug. Tug. Tug.

I don't know if that's the hitch, if this is typical of a 5th wheel (never towed a fifth wheel before), but it really was fatiguing and not something I had expected to feel. Looking for any suggestions on what I might need to improve. Thank you for any advice offered.
21 REPLIES 21

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Due to the high hitch design, fifth wheel trailers generate chucking forces (fore/aft) that are transmitted to the truck. All solid joint hitches, of which the Andersen is one, will effectively transmit those forces to the frame of your truck. All trailers differ as other factors such as length, axle design and weight distribution come into play. This is why you will read many anecdotal threads regarding fifth wheels not chucking with various hitches..

There are many pin box aids such as MorRyde that would help with your chucking problem. I had a similar problem except my wife lasted only a half an hour because the chucking was so severe. I fixed my problem with a Trailer Saver TS3 air hitch.

If you have a short bed Ram, I wouldn't reverse the pin adapter on your Andersen hitch. You will tow fine for many miles but there will be a time when you are backing tight on uneven terrain and could take out your rear window.

Here are some suggestions: Sell the Andersen while it is still new and get yourself an air hitch. You have nice new gear; why not protect both your truck and trailer with a soft joint hitch? The Reese Goosebox will help with chucking due to its low hook up point and reduced hitch angle. Tow with the trailer level and load your trailer at the ends instead of over the axles, more pin weight is better.. This will reduce the tendency of the trailer to rotate and create chucking forces.

If your setup has the ability to use the TS3 and you are willing to drop the money, you will be thanking me everytime you tow. As your trailer goes over a bump, the pin pushes down and forward at the same time. Due to the high hinge design, the TS3 compresses and retracts at the same time, dissipating both bouncing and chucking forces.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
I would also tend to agree......not enough weight on pin/trailer. If problem still exists after loading, dump the hitch and get a B&W.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me guess, short bed truck, and Anderson puts center of pin behind center of axle?

Trun the anderson around and put the center of pin forward of axle.

I have a 19 Ram dually using the OEM 30K fifth whell hitch, pulling a 40' 18K trailer and no issues.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 2019 Ram 3500 4x4 dually pulling a 16000 lb. 5th wheel. Truck has the Mopar M20 (Curt) hitch and trailer has the Reese 5th Airborne pin box. Pulls and rides great. No chucking or clucking....
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The specs on that unit show a 2200 lb pin weight. That should be plenty. I'm thinking nose high.
Puma 30RKSS

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Strange other Andersen hitch owners claim that the hits solves chucking.
Does the 5er tow level? That and get some weight on the pin.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Wait until you get it loaded and some weight on the pin. Then, go from there.
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL