cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat Tow 6 Passenger vehicles under 5,000 lbs

cgehlhausen
Explorer
Explorer
We are a family of six with children ranging in age from 17 to 4. What vehicles seats 6 (some of the kids are adult-sized), work with a 5,000-pound tow rating, and can preferably be towed four down.

I'm open to any suggestions, but older models are probably the best candidates for us. Something 5-10 years old would probably be about the right price range, but I'm anything that covers the 6-pass. 5k 4-down requirement.

Thank you.
19 REPLIES 19

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
cgehlhausen wrote:
Does the Ford Flex need to be a manual transmission, or can an automatic be flat towed?

It only comes in auto flavor. Some dealers mistakenly mark it as a manual because it has optional paddle shifters.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

johnwalkerpa1
Explorer
Explorer
cgehlhausen wrote:
Does the Ford Flex need to be a manual transmission, or can an automatic be flat towed?

For the past 4 model years, the automatics are fine. I've never looked farther back.

cgehlhausen
Explorer
Explorer

Lancslad
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 4door 4WD Dodge Dakota. Seats 6 has room for a cooler and all our towing stuff in a box in the bed. Paid $4k for it and towed it 16000 miles to Alaska this summer with NO issues.
2011 FR Georgetown 337DS
2003 Dodge Dakota Towed

atperci
Explorer
Explorer
Try looking at a Honda Pilot or Odyssey up to model year 2013. They both have room for six or more people and can be towed 4 down. There is a very specific set of instructions that have to be followed, but its no big deal and only takes about 5 minutes to do.

Honda actually certified the Pilot for dinghy towing until model year 2005, but they got tired of providing warranty work for idiots how didn't follow the set-up instructions exactly. They still certified the CR-V up until 2013 and they all have the same drive train. After that year, the transmission changed and can't be towed anymore.

The downside is you take full responsibility if you don't follow the set-up rules precisely. Many people are towing their Pilots, Odysseys with no problems whatsoever.

I bought a 2005 Pilot a few years ago and wish I had done more research, I would have bought a few years newer model if I had of known what model years had what transmission. Plus, its a Honda with the Honda reputation.

willald
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's one more vote for the Flex. We have one, its my wife's daily driver vehicle. We all really like it.

We haven't set it up for flat towing (yet), though. We use my Ford Fusion (Hybrid) for flat towing. Been toying with the idea of setting up the Flex to flat tow as well. The passenger space the Flex has inside would be nice to have when we're out camping.

You'd have to load down a Flex really heavy to push that 5k limit. That will not be a problem, long as you don't start carrying large rocks in the Flex. ๐Ÿ™‚
Will and Cheryl
2021 Newmar Baystar 3014 on F53 (7.3 V8) Chassis ("Brook")
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK ("Wilbur")

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer
The new GMC Acadia was lightened down to 3956 pounds curb weight.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
cgehlhausen wrote:
I'm certainly going to look at the Flex after all of these votes, but are there any other vehicles? I've heard people talking about the Honda Pilot and Toyota Rav4 - but both are a bit pricey...

Only the prior generation Rav-4 had 3 rows. The current gen does not. And that back row was only child sized. Through 2005 it could be flat-towed, but only up to 55 MPH. New rear seat crash regulations made the 3rd row disappear from smaller SUVs.

Pilot is not approved for flat-towing.

The Flex curb weight is listed as 4,400-4,800. An AWD turbo model will be towards that upper end. There's nothing wrong with using your full 5,000# rating, but beware that you won't be able to load up a Flex with cargo when you tow. Unless you can upgrade the motorhome's hitch.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
With the Flex. Just put in neutral unlock steering wheel and Tow.
I use a Brake Buddy for Aux. braking.
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

petrel
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted a Flex too! Wife wanted a Jeep:(
43' Renegade/Coronado '06
2017 F450
2001 Ford Excursion PSD
1997 F350 Crew Cab PSD

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mazda 5 or the earlier MPV, with manual transmission, can seat six and tow four-down without modification. Under 4000 pounds empty.

Also Suzuki Grand Vitara XL-7 (with seven seats in the "no luggage" mode) up to 2006, with manual or automatic transmissions. Under 4000 pounds in most configurations.

Next generation XL-7 was a platform share with GM Theta (Equinox, Vue, Torrent, GMC Terrain in yet another generation) but I don't know if any model variations had seating for six. Base weights for this platform come in under 4000 pounds, there are not enough options to push it over 5000. You might choose the 4-cylinder base trim models if you want to tow them, or the V-6 luxury models to use for towing. Theta platform cars compete in two size categories with engine options and accessories.

Ford Flex (on Taurus platform) is pushing hard at your weight limit, almost 5000 pounds at no-options base weights. The upscale Lincoln MKT on the same platform is usually quite a bit over 5000 empty. A heavily optioned Flex will top 5000.

These are in the size category of Chevrolet Traverse, GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook, and Buick Enclave, a platform that replaced GMs mid-size SUVs and minivans. This platform comes in right around 4700-5000 pounds before you start buying option packages and accessories.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

cgehlhausen
Explorer
Explorer
I'm certainly going to look at the Flex after all of these votes, but are there any other vehicles? I've heard people talking about the Honda Pilot and Toyota Rav4 - but both are a bit pricey...

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Flex...get a 2010-2012, AWD Ecobost, you wont be disappointed.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

badercubed
Explorer
Explorer
We don't tow a Flex but my wife drives one. Great 6 passenger vehicle.
2019 Apex Nano 208BHS
2016 F-150 Crew Cab (it's my wife's ride)

Been camping for 37 of my 38 years!