cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat tow Chevy Spark

ontken
Explorer
Explorer
We are flat towing a Chevy Spark with manual transmision. When towing you hardly know it is back there.

My only problem is leaving the key in the ignition turned on so the steering is unlocked. I forgot to start it during pit stops and had a dead battery. Is there a fuse to pull???

Or better still has anyone disabled the steering wheel lock so you don't need to insert the key?
2008 Jayco Melbourne
14 REPLIES 14

SpiKar
Explorer
Explorer
To afresop:

The brake tail and turn signal run are powered by the coach.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
afrescop wrote:
If the battery is disconnected how do you get the brake, tail and turn signal lights to work?
Bulb and socket wiring kit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003VAUQ2I
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

afrescopXx
Explorer
Explorer
ontken wrote:
It looks like I will be buying a battery disconnect, the steering whell does lock and the key must be turned to stop it from locking. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks for all the suggestions.

If the battery is disconnected how do you get the brake, tail and turn signal lights to work?

ontken
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like I will be buying a battery disconnect, the steering whell does lock and the key must be turned to stop it from locking. I will let you know how it works out. Thanks for all the suggestions.
2008 Jayco Melbourne

Road_Princess
Explorer
Explorer
tatest wrote:
Check to see what actually makes the wheel lock, if it does at all.

On my manual transmission Fit, the lock is not activated until the key is pulled out, so I can leave the key in the "off" position. Same for my manual transmission truck.

It is more towable automatics that have the key problem, i.e. switch must be turned to an "on" position to get the selector out of Park.

Can't do that with the Spark. We tried it.

Chevy's directions are to put the car in neutral, release the hand brake and turn the key to accessory. There are no other instructions.

Strange thing is that we towed well over a thousand miles running all day and never had a problem. The dead battery problem just popped up one day and remained. I think there is some kind of phantom load running which we can't find. It's not worth tracing the entire electrical system, pulling fuses, etc to find it. The battery disconnect suggested by Chevrolet works perfectly and really isn't any bother.
Janet
Way-the-heck-south Texas

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check to see what actually makes the wheel lock, if it does at all.

On my manual transmission Fit, the lock is not activated until the key is pulled out, so I can leave the key in the "off" position. Same for my manual transmission truck.

It is more towable automatics that have the key problem, i.e. switch must be turned to an "on" position to get the selector out of Park.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

Road_Princess
Explorer
Explorer
The battery disconnect was the suggestion of Chevrolet. This simple and very inexpensive method ($10-$20 at an auto parts store, easily installed in 10 minutes) will not void any warranty on the car.

The battery disconnect works perfectly, was inexpensive, easy to install and solved the problem. Why would anyone want to start with running charge lines or disabling the steering lock?
Janet
Way-the-heck-south Texas

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds to me like the quick DIY solution is battery disconnect.
Next, a little more complicated, charge line.
More invasive, modify steering lock.

Charge line is the one I would consider in this case.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

gotsmart
Explorer
Explorer
The locking feature of many ignition switches can be disabled - allowing the steering wheel to turn without the key. A good (non-dealer) repair shop could tell the OP if this can be done to the Spark's ignition cylinder. From what I've read in the past it takes about half an hour to complete the procedure.

It may very well void any warranties, so keep that in mind as well.
2005 Cruise America 28R (Four Winds 28R) on a 2004 Ford E450 SD 6.8L V10 4R100
2009 smart fortwo Passion with Roadmaster "Falcon 2" towbar & tail light kit - pictures

Road_Princess
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2013 Chevy Spark with a manual transmission. You need the key to be turned to unlock the wheels.

There is NO FUSE to pull for this car. We have spoken directly to Chevy about it.

We bought a battery disconnect switch and it is working perfectly. We disconnect the battery when we hook up and reconnect it when we disconnect the toad.

Hope this helps.
Janet
Way-the-heck-south Texas

SpiKar
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Hyundai Elantra GT which requires the ignition to be in the ACC position for the electric power steering. The solution was to run a charge line. My motor-home already had power to the 7 pin plug so the tech just wired the car from the car receptacle to the battery. No problems at all in a years worth of towing.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Have a friend that had the same issue, called GM (several times) can got conflicting answers.
I don't recall what the solution was, I will poke and see if I can get a response.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

Hank_MI
Explorer
Explorer
Owners manual for our Malibu tells you which fuse to pull. On an auto trans the key allows you to take the trans out of park, there is no lock on the steering wheel.

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Doesn't owner manual tell you which fuse(s) to pull?

Many will suggest running a "charge line" from coach to toad battery.

There's also a commercial version of a charge device.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB