cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flat towing with a 3rd row?

armyhockeynut
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for a vehicle with 3rd row seating that we can tow flat. I am not interested in any of the big SUVs that have this, something more mid-size? Any suggestions?
Still have a TT, but will be moving up to a motorhome at some point soon and want to be ready with a car we can tow...
David - Manassas,VA

USA(RET)27+ yrs, Now a DOD Civ Bus Operator๐Ÿ™‚

17 Thor Hurricane 35M:B

GS Chapter President(2002-4/2010-pres)
VA State Staff(2006-09)
Good Sam Club Life Member

6 REPLIES 6

HoJoPo
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep Commander and the current generation Dodge Durango (both based on the Grand Cherokee) have third row options and should be flat towable in 4WD trim, if they have the low range transfer case with neutral. There were AWD options without low range that are not flat towable, so you need to check and make sure it has a neutral position.
2001 Lance 1025 truck camper on 2013 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins diesel std. cab long bed
2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with AiROCK air suspension and 35 inch tires
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4 with 5.7L MDS Hemi

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford Explorer.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Ford Freestyle (now the Taurus) with 3rd row seating for a total of 7. Volvo XC also has 3rd row seating as well as those mentioned already.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

haydoracin
Explorer
Explorer
Chevy Traverse, Buick Enclave, GMC Acadia I believe all have third row seating options. Don't know about towability of current models.
Hayden & Jan
1994 Southwind 33L P-Chassis 454
2006 Chevrolet HHR
OTY (Mini Dachsund)

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
Ford Flex is what we tow. But it is not a mid size vehicle..
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Personally, I do not know of any 8 to 9 passenger vehicles that meet your specifications. AFAIK, "big SUVs" are the only ones. In order to be towable, it will likely have to be four wheel drive, with a NEUTRAL position on the transfer case shift. It is, however, possible a lube pump can be installed to lube/cool the transmission ($1000, more or less). Such a rig will be fairly heavy, quite possibly in excess of 5000 lbs(especially if a lot of "stuff" is carried in it).
Motorhomes normally have a towing capacity of 3500, 5000, or 10,000 lbs. The 10K towing capacity is, in my experience, usually only found in high end diesel pusher coaches.
Good luck in your search.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"