cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying experience almost a disaster

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
The end of December we ordered a new Coachmen Freedom Express 231RBDS to replace our 2007 Maxlite 23RS. Everything went very well, no high pressure tactics, and the final price negotiated was 38% below MSRP. The morning we were to take delivery I got an email from the dealer's finance person confirming our delivery time and to bring a cashiers check for a certain amount. I looked at the number and saw that it was over $1000 more than what was on the sales "Worksheet" (the term that was on the top of the paper) that we had signed. I pulled the paper and immediately saw the problem - they had not put in sales tax. In the back and forth of the negotiations no one had noticed this. I had a check for the amount that was on my sales document.

I decided to wait until we got to the dealership to talk this over. When we got there and sat down with the finance manager I began very politely and calmly with an explanation of what happened and that I had a check for the amount we had signed for. The finance person excused herself and said that she would get the sales manager. I need to add that I had called my friend who is an attorney with an Ohio county prosecutors office who works on the civil side of the operation - mostly contracts - to ask about the issue. In short, he said that the dealership did not have to honor the price on my "Worksheet".

The sales manager comes into the office where we are and I again politely and calmly explained the situation and emphasized that this had been missed by the sales person, the sales manager, and the finance/business office until the morning I was due to pick up my camper and that I expected them to honor that number. He was polite and calm as well and said that you have to pay sales tax and that is something they have no choice but to charge me. I said yes I understand, but that he should not turn this around on me. You do this every day and the paperwork clearly states this is the balance due on delivery. I suggested that he give us more on our trade to make the bottom line match the figure we had. He said that he would look at the deal and my trade and be back in a few minutes.

When the sales manager returned after about 15 minutes he had a new "Worksheet" that had increased the amount for my trade by over $1000 so that the bottom line matched my original signed "Worksheet". Both he and the finance manager apologized several times and thanked us for our business. The rest of the delivery process went very well. My wife and I were very glad that a potentially nasty situation turned out so well.

(I posted this on another forum also)
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch
22 REPLIES 22

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
I was not going to walk away from the deal if they did not agreed to honor the price on my Worksheet". I went in without any expectations as to what the dealer would do. I was at all times respectful and polite to all I spoke to and they were the same to me. I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

We driveway camped this past weekend and everything worked as advertised. Waiting to dewinterize until closer to the end of March and run the water systems. I believe that this is going to be a great camper for my wife and me.
Equil-I-zer hitch

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
It's great they made it work for you
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Regardless if it is a signed contract or not things get missed. That was nice of them, but I would've offered half since both parties missed it.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
One of the things most people do wrong in a negotiation is talk TOO much. Your handling of this issue sounds very good as you relate it.

There is a point to which you want to bring a negotiation where you just end your reasoning and be quiet. Generally the next guy who speaks...loses. But this takes practice and skill.

And a business like demeanor and empathy goes along ways. A take no prisoners loud approach rarely works.

mikegt4
Explorer
Explorer
Colerain RV has been around a long time, a family owned and operated business. Camping World (Fairfield, OH) is just a few miles away and the difference between the two is like a cold slap in the face.

w8eh
Explorer
Explorer
We have purchased 2 campers at Colerain RV in Cincinnati and had service work performed there. Always a good experience. They work hard at keeping customers.
New 2015 Starcraft Launch Ultra Lite 24RLS
2010 Chevy Silverado crew cab /factory tow package
Prodigy brake controller
Good Sam Life Member

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
Duck wrote:
mileshuff wrote:
I too always state my offer is out the door. This accounts not only for taxes but also any title, documentation or other service fees. No surprises!

Negotiated my current 5'er through emails and phone calls at a dealer 5 hour drive away. Got a great deal and love it!

X2
Don

X3

I always ask for their last price first and if that is not agreeable I walk toward the door. I have used this negotiating process on my last two RV purchases. I agree, ask if this is the delivery price out the door.
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Somehow I never hear of a mistake being made in the buyers favor- going to close the deal and the dealer says "We made a mistake and double charged for this item- it's a thousand dollars less than we quoted".
-- Chris Bryant

Homer1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it came out of any ones pocket. If in fact they made an error, it will corrected over one or more other sales in the way of mark up. We used to occasionally do a no profit job for some civic organization during their restoration of a historic theater or building. We would simply make it up on the next few sales or take a tax credit for giving to a charitable organization.

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
I hope that it did not come out of the salesman's commission. If the dealership does take it out of anyone's pay it should be all three people - salesman, sales manager who signed the deal, and the business/finance person who reviewed the deal - who failed to catch the error. I don't believe that this will happen. Our trade was in excellent condition and if anything, they will not make as much profit when they sell it.

Except for this one problem I am very happy with Colerain RV and would/will buy from them again.
Equil-I-zer hitch

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
I too always state my offer is out the door. This accounts not only for taxes but also any title, documentation or other service fees. No surprises!

Negotiated my current 5'er through emails and phone calls at a dealer 5 hour drive away. Got a great deal and love it!

X2
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Ski_Pro_3
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder how magnanimous the dealer really was. I would guess that the difference came out of someone's pay and not the dealership's profit. Most likely came out of the salesman's commission if he's the one who failed to follow up that the contract was written correctly.

tracyb-oh
Explorer
Explorer
We have dealt with Colerain RV for over 15 years and they have always been friendly, fair and easy to work with. I would refer anyone there anytime.
Tracy and T
2017 Sanibel 5th wheel
2015 Dodge Ram crew cab long bed Cummins diesel

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)