cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flatulence causing CO/Propane detector alarm?

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize for this graphic question, but this happened to me this last trip and I wanted to ask...

Twice during the night, my CO/Propane detector went off - just after I passed gas. The detector is 5 feet away from the foot of my bed. I recall passing gas twice, and each time the alarm sounded within 2 minutes.

Is this just too gross to discuss here? Is this something you've experienced?
There is something special about camping in an RV.
39 REPLIES 39

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Yep. Farts definitely contain enough methane to be volatile. I have heard from unnamed sources back in my teen years :W that a fart, a tight pair of jeans and a cigarette lighter will create quite a flare. Not a good idea with shorts though. :E

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Smoke, carbon monoxide, and propane detectors all have a shelf life and false alarming could be caused in part by out of date detectors. Having said that passing gas is methane, and it may be closely related enough to propane to cause a detector to alarm.

Methane and propane are very similar, chemically, which is why natural gas, aka methane, and propane can be detected by the same devices.

DarkSkySeeker
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Smoke, carbon monoxide, and propane detectors all have a shelf life and false alarming could be caused in part by out of date detectors. Having said that passing gas is methane, and it may be closely related enough to propane to cause a detector to alarm.

I've had the trailer with the detector for 4 years. So, yes it is ready for replacement. Interesting thing is how it did not sound any other time and my flatulence immediately preceded the alarm.
There is something special about camping in an RV.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
What are you eating??? :E The environmentalists are going to be after you to change your diet-all this methane you are emitting is contributing too much to the climate change. :B
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I laughed, so it made my day since I'm stuck in the house because of all of this COVID19 mess.... Not sick at all and want to keep it that way! ๐Ÿ™‚

But, I can say I've never had that happen to me, and I can let off some good ones! I know when the wife smacks me in the head after I say "excuse me".. ha, ha..

I guess you should be watching what you eat or you just have a very sensitive detector..

Thanks again for making my day! I hope this keeps going for awhile. I think we all need something like this during this time.

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Doing what it was designed to do. Methane is a gas.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Yup. Farts contain methane, enough to set off propane/natural gas detectors under the right conditions. There are lots of folks who have talked about dogs setting them off in the night.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And if you can produce enough methane to contaminate a camper....nice work!

(But I'd still suggest some dietary restrictions...lol)
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
No, this will be the thread of the month!
Can't wait to see, not smell, the responses!

Suggestion, next time, fart on the detector. If it goes off you have your answer!
And eat less beans and cabbage!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold