cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Flipping a weight distributing hitch?

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. I'm wondering if its possible to flip my WDH. (I would upload a picture but its a hassle here, I'm on a tablet only.) THe kind I have is the type that has the L part that goes into the reciever on the truck, that has three holes in it where the other part attatches to it via 2 big bolts (one hole is free, for adjustment I suppose) with the springs mashed inbetween. I got this setup when I had a much lower vehicle than I have now, and with the 2 1/2" lift I recently put on my truck I have to put a block under the front wheel to be able to crank it up far enough to get the trailer over top of the ball LOL. So what I'm asking is how difficult would it be to take it apart so the L part is now pointing down instead of up, put it all back together so the ball is 4-5 in lower. Is there anything special tool wise or procedure wise to do this, or is it as simple as it looks?
2009 Kodiak 195. Absolute JUNK.
12 REPLIES 12

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Some shanks are not designed to be used in the rise position. Take a look at this page. My WDH came with the 54970 which can be used either way. When I replaced my TV, I need a lower drop. So I replaced it with 63971 which is drop only. If you are in rise position now, I would flip it, remount the head, and readjust the WDH. I have never heard of a WD head that is designed for rise only.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm, im actually concerned about not enough tongue weight now LOL. Maybe I'm just so used to it being so high. I'm gonna test this setup out this weekend on a short local camping trip about 20 miles away and see how she does....

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Ideally, the trailer should sit level, If you are still 2 1/2" high of the trailer, then YES, I think a new shank may be needed.

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
So you think the hitch on the truck should be even lower than it is?

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
kamperdog wrote:

I flipped it and at the lowest setting its still is 2.5" higher than the trailer when I have it (the trailer) sitting perfectly level. .

You may need to buy a new shank, if the old one isn't getting you level. When I went from my Dodge Dakota (bar was set to raise trailer) to my RAM, even flipped it did not get me low enough.

EDIT: When I got mine back together, and set for my trailer, I stopped my the local garage with it's door open. I DO NOT have a torque wrench that does 300lbs, but they did. He set me up with nothing more than a thank you, so the next morning I delivered a dozen donuts.

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
I have the exact same sway bar set up and my hitch is nearly the same,thanks for the pictures.

I flipped it and at the lowest setting its still is 2.5" higher than the trailer when I have it (the trailer) sitting perfectly level. My trailer has a relatively light tongue weight at 320lbs. Should I raise it one hole ( I guess thats an inch) for more trailer "push down" weight on it?

It actually seems like it would be perfect but I want to get some more opinions on whether or not theres sufficient tongue weight so nothing bad happens lol.

2manytoyz
Explorer
Explorer
You can certainly do this with an Equalizer hitch. It has the L-brackets as you've described.

Both pictures are the same hitch, used on two different tow vehicles.

If you look closely, the drawbar is upside down, with the extra holes at the bottom in the first pic, versus at the top in the first pic.

The instructions are here: Equalizer Instructions.
Robert
Merritt Island, FL
2023 Thor Quantum KW29
2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited TOAD
2023 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon TOAD
Falcon 2 Towbar, Roadmaster 9400 Even Brake System
http://www.2manytoyz.com/

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. I have about 2 months to do it, but i also want time to test it at least once.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Ball height is best determined by how the trailer tows. Should be close to level for best performance and stability. Many WD hitches come with an adjustable height ball mount so you can achieve the proper height and these will work either way you flip them but again, based on your need to get a near level tow.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Theres a big RV place pretty close but. Im sure they would charge an arm and leg though. Thats why Im asking if it can be done myself.

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure you torque the bolts to the proper spec once you "flip" the shank. Local hitch shop may be able to help for a few $ if you don't have the right size tools.
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
If I understand correctly what you propose doing, they are intended to be used that way. No special tool, the idea is to make both the TV and the trailer sit level. To that end, you have to do what you have to do.