cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Foam Mattress Topper

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for information on RV foam mattress toppers.
Do they need adjusted or re positioned every couple of days. Do the straps that hold the topper to the mattress keep it in place. Do you have the 2", 3", or 4" thickness. In your opinion do they work or are worthless and not worth the money.
I have the RV King mattress. I think they are an inch or 2 different than a standard King mattress.
Thoughts???
13 REPLIES 13

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Whiskey River wrote:
OK thanks all for the info...
I'm going to get one, now I just have to decide what thickness and if I should get the RV King size.

A recommendation: Go to Bed Bath and Beyond. Buy the lowest-price one, bring it home and try it out. If it doesn't feel good enough, bring it back and return it (Yes - they will let you do that!) and buy the next most expensive one. Repeat if necessary. When I bought mine they had three price-points, and I ended up with the middle-priced one. Love it. Would never go without one now.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whiskey River wrote:
Looking for information on RV foam mattress toppers.
Do they need adjusted or re positioned every couple of days. Do the straps that hold the topper to the mattress keep it in place. Do you have the 2", 3", or 4" thickness. In your opinion do they work or are worthless and not worth the money.
I have the RV King mattress. I think they are an inch or 2 different than a standard King mattress.
Thoughts???

We have one on ours but it wasn't cutting the mustard so we ended up going to a local foam store, looked/felt various density and combos of foam and eventually had them build us a custom topper that actually worked (density we wanted & was cut to the exact dimensions of our bed). It wasn't cheap but not having the mrs be fussy after every night in the RV bed is/was $$ WELL spent.

Wife did have to fashion some straps to hold the waterproof mattress cover in place as the added height of things after the added foam was causing everything to 'top off' by morning.
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

Whiskey_River
Explorer
Explorer
OK thanks all for the info...
I'm going to get one, now I just have to decide what thickness and if I should get the RV King size.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like a lot of things, mattress toppers are only opposed as a bad idea by people that have never used a good one.

Mine is on a Murphy bed, so it can move around a little Big deal. It is exceedingly comfortable.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have storage under your bed, the mattress may move down when you open it up, but the topper stays with the mattress. I have to push the mattress back up after accessing the storage area.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
JimK-NY wrote:
Mattress toppers work just the same in an RV as they do at home. They come in a wide variety of thicknesses, firmness and quality. Different people have different preferences. Personally I would not spend a lot of money on one or expect miracles. If the RV mattress is poor quality and is not comfortable you might want to consider a replacement instead of a topper.

This^^. It's what most of us full-timers do. A foam topper on an OEM RV mattress is like putting lipstick on a pig. (Yes - I know many people do it and claim to be happy... the mattress - not the pig.)

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

JHinman
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I have used a memory foam topper for years. It is very comfortable, and we do not rotate or flip it. We are not full-time users, however.

We shifted the โ€œcamper queenโ€ mattress a few inches towards the foot of the bed.the foam topper fills the gap between the head of the mattress and the wall, letting us gain a few valuable inches in bed length.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
A quality 3" topper will weigh 30-40 lbs, and will not move. But I don't know if that depends on how much you weigh.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Standard RV mattresses are not very good and lumpy. I added a dense 2 inch foam mattress topper. It may have gel in it. It changed everything. I slept in the trailer last night because it is really comfortable.

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We also put a 2" foam mattress topper on ours. And a mattress cover over that holds it in place with no problem. And made our OEM mattress much more comfortable.

As far as repositioned or adjusted I suppose it might depend on how much you use it. A full timer or long timer might need to rotate or flip it periodically. But we have used ours as long as 3 weeks at a time and never changed any thing about it.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with chast. And per JimK, they've made our home mattress more comfortable as well as our RV. The few inches different in mattress size hasn't been an issue for us.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mattress toppers work just the same in an RV as they do at home. They come in a wide variety of thicknesses, firmness and quality. Different people have different preferences. Personally I would not spend a lot of money on one or expect miracles. If the RV mattress is poor quality and is not comfortable you might want to consider a replacement instead of a topper.

chast
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi thereโ€”we have used a 2โ€ gel-infused mattress topper from WalMart and are very pleased. We put the foam topper under a mattress cover and used elastic straps to hold the cover tight. Topper doesnโ€™t move much and it has made all the difference in the comfort level.
chartrue2@aol.com