cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford focus key

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone get a key to use while towing that doesnt have the chip in it, or aftermarket
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus
9 REPLIES 9

az99
Explorer
Explorer
billyboy wrote:
i can't remove the key unless its in park
You can in Neutral after you disconnect the battery.

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
i can't remove the key unless its in park

az99
Explorer
Explorer
It would serve no purpose other than unlock the door.

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
billyboy, I had Ford make me a couple of unchipped keys. About $4 each. You could probably have one made at most any hardware store. If your steering doesn't lock I don't know what function the key serves in the ignition while traveling. You can see from my post above why I couldn't use them, but they made them.

There used to be a Ford Service rep here on the board who might have the answers on the pro's and con's, but I haven't seen any posts by him for a while. Maybe a call to a dealer or Ford might get you a definitive answer.

Safe travels.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
No the steering doesnt lock. I would just like to to have a extra key for just towing, that wasnt 150.00

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
We have not yet towed our Focus. But I was under the impression that the steering did not lock on it. I'll have to check that out.
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
It is possible to take the chip out of the key and place chip inside the steering column. However, this comes with different problems.

kyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Our non-chip key works fine in our 08 Escape Hybrid, it lets you do anything except start the motor. It must be be different for various models or years? A Ford dealer could probably tell you if a Focus would work.
Janet & Ralph
2008 Winnebago Aspect 26A
2008 Ford Escape Hybrid

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I tried for my Ford Edge, but No-Go.

You need the chipped key to turn the ignition switch full on to move it from Park to Neutral. Once in Neutral the key can't be removed for you to switch to the unchipped key. You could do the same thing with an unchipped key, but once in the full on position without the chip it will disable your car. My key can only be removed in Park & the full off position.

I never liked leaving the key in, but to keep the steering unlocked it's the only way to travel. I've asked several service techs at Ford about removing the steering locking pin so I could travel without using the key, but it's part of the computer system and can't be removed or disabled (per Ford).

I'm learning to live with it, but don't like it. I hope I never need to use the Low-Jack. ๐Ÿ™‚
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292