cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas prices.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Hi guys, so let me start with the most pertinent statement I can make regarding my post. It is not meant in any political fashion or statement what so ever so if you steer the thread that way then it's on you.
I had 18 trips booked this year and have canceled several of them including seeing my father in Rome New York who is 84. It's just to expensive. I did however fill all of the canceled slots with local small campgrounds that are a plenty here in Central Florida. I found them all here on this campground page.

https://campgrounds.rvlife.com/regions/florida

Making the best of it and hoping it doesn't get to much worse or I'll have to cancel more.
Anyway, I'm sure all of you are thinking the same thing and wondering what those thoughts were.
Joe
53 REPLIES 53

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I agree see your father.

Also, most campgrounds let you close pretty close to the date. Who knows what's going to happen before then.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Book a no frills flight now to Rome for the future date. Today flights are cheap but will go up in a few days.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Forum Rules wrote:
. (Mod)
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

rlw999
Explorer
Explorer
Gas prices around here have gone up less than 20% since my last fillup a month ago. Things will likely get worse before they get better, but I wouldn't cancel any trips booked into the future until it's almost time to go so I can see where gas prices are.

The difference between $4 and $6 gas is around $450 on a 2000 mile trip (at 9 mpg), or around $30/day over 2 weeks.

It's not nothing, but it's less than I'll pay for campgrounds, and less than many people pay for an RV payment.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Homeless by Choice wrote:
cptqueeg wrote:
Joe with all due respect, cancel 17 of your trips and go see your father even if it means driving your car and staying in motels 2 nights each way.

Times TWO

I'm taking my Ram 1500 4.7 and staying with my uncle in VA and sister in PA. I was going to take the truck and camper just to show dad I'm still doing it. He's has the onset of Alzheimer's and is starting to have a lot of trouble. I was going to go this last winter but it's been so long since I've driven in that winter environment. I will see dad though.... Thanks!

Gems, That's a lot of driving but I kind of did the same thing when we moved to Florida 6 years ago. We always came south for a couple of long weekends in the winter but the winters seemed so much milder back then. :R

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
THREE! Iโ€™d drive anywhere to see my Dad again.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Homeless_by_Cho
Explorer
Explorer
cptqueeg wrote:
Joe with all due respect, cancel 17 of your trips and go see your father even if it means driving your car and staying in motels 2 nights each way.

Times TWO
Homeless by Choice
FULL TIMER since 2012
2015 Chevy 3500, Duramax, 4X4, DRW, Crew cab, Long bed
2013 Northern Lite 8'11"Q Sportsman truck camper
2015 Polaris RZR Side by Side

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Way before fuel prices started going up, the wife and I have been talking about driving less distances in our "yearly road trips" and spend more time in one place.

We typically drive close to 8,000 miles in our yearly road trips and probably another 2,000 additional miles a year in shorter trips. We always considered ourselves more travelers than campers who happen to travel in an RV.

After RVing for nearly 20 years and having crisscrossed the US and parts of Canada a few times, we decided this year to travel no further than 1,000 miles from home and stay put longer in two or three areas.

The fact gas prices have gone up is purely coincidental to our decision to drive less. The upside to the high fuel prices for us may be more camping spots will be available as some people cancel their travel plans.