cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gas prices.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.automotive-fleet.com/330282/gasoline-prices-stabilize-at-2-84-per-gallon

From the article;
"The West Coast is probably seeing the most significant impact based on gas prices increases," Casselano said. "In California, retail prices are over $4 per gallon for unleaded. The states has not seen prices this expensive since 2015. Unplanned and planned maintenance, which has tightened gasoline stock levels, have really driven up gasoline prices in the last few weeks much more than expected."

Can someone explain how a so called shortage drives up prices when the shortage isn't causing gas stations to run out of gas? I haven't heard about any stations rationing. So it's not really a shortage, it's just a decline in production which has zero effect on supply until the supply is less than the demand.
I call BS.
28 REPLIES 28

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well right now in the Portland are Regular and diesel are in a dead heat. One nearby station diesel is less than regular.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Remember a couple of years ago when gas was over $4 a gallon almost nationwide?? They must have been making too much money because prices went down.
Summer blend or maintanence , whatever the reason some people don't believe it. It's just those greedy oil companies gouging hard working citizens. Them rotten #$@@&*.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
So what? Gas/diesel prices are what they are. Complaining and looking for a scapegoat does nothing except raise a person's blood pressure. You're going to get screwed by the oil companies, so just get used to the idea.

Just take a deep breath and relax. There are many things you can control, gas prices are not one of them.

Don't worry my panties are uptight in a wad. I know what they're doing.

EV2
Explorer
Explorer
old guy wrote:
they blame gas prices on shortages which I think is BS since the east coast doesn't seem to have that problem this year. it's all on the shoulders of the oil companies. they raise their prices at the drop of a hat and they always make sure they have a hat to drop. they are crooks 100%

Yes, there are crooks. The tax hidden in gasoline in CA is about 75 cents when you include underground storage tax, state taxes and federal tax. The supplier pays thousands in transport tax, fees and permits to get it there after it is found and refined.
Have to think about who are the crooks.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Can someone explain how a so called shortage drives up prices when the shortage isn't causing gas stations to run out of gas?

Maybe they mean a shortage of profits, not a shortage of gasoline? ๐Ÿ™‚

You're probably right.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Gasoline is a commodity that is traded on the market, the price is not determined by the refiners. Same with natural gas it's traded on the market as well. Refiners are on a maintenance schedule for major turnarounds that our required approximately every 5 years. This is a major undertaking requiring contractors to be scheduled well in advance.

Lot of ignorance in the above comments. I guess when people don't know they make something up.

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
What gets me people move out of California because of high gas, taxes, home prices and complain how horrible California is, but when they move to another state they vote the same as they did in California.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
they blame gas prices on shortages which I think is BS since the east coast doesn't seem to have that problem this year. it's all on the shoulders of the oil companies. they raise their prices at the drop of a hat and they always make sure they have a hat to drop. they are crooks 100%

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
So what? Gas/diesel prices are what they are. Complaining and looking for a scapegoat does nothing except raise a person's blood pressure. You're going to get screwed by the oil companies, so just get used to the idea.

Just take a deep breath and relax. There are many things you can control, gas prices are not one of them.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Can someone explain how a so called shortage drives up prices when the shortage isn't causing gas stations to run out of gas?

Maybe they mean a shortage of profits, not a shortage of gasoline? ๐Ÿ™‚

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
They use any reason they can to raise prices. Itโ€™s gotten out of hand. Any time a refinery had an accident suddenly that was the refinery all our gas comes from!

Personally I fill up when I see the gas prices drop!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
We get the same thing here on the west coast of BC. โ€œ The refinery has closed for maintenance so up goes the price โ€œ No stations are short of fuel and no one is driving any less, just another excuse to raise the price.

George3037
Explorer
Explorer
It may depend on where you live. Gas prices have increased just over 40 cents per gallon here in the past 90 days. Just filled up today and price was 2.859 a gallon. Price was 2.429 in Jan.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel prices in East Alabama have been steady for the past several months averaging $2.39 a gallon. Haven't seen an issue here.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian