cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Generator question.... (leaving in less than two weeks)

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
I apologize in advance if its in the wrong forum.

I'm going in earyly Oct to a state park not far away, that has no hook ups of any kind. I've been kicking around the idea of getting either a second battery or a generator so I'll have the 110 when/if I need it. A local retailer has a Champion 1400/1800 on sale right now for 179. VERY tempting as I'm a tapped out working slob. It seems like it would be perfect for charging the battery back up or being able to use some 110 stuff. I realize its not the best brand. Now, my question is about what it would run... My microwave is a 900W. I believe the air conditioner booklet said it was 536W. Obviously I know not to try to run more than one high powered device at a time. It even has an RV plug in (grin). I looked at inverter gennies but ka-ching. That brings me to the next thing. Is there something to put in between the generator and the rig to smooth out that rough electricity? Line conditioner etc? Or will the rigs inverter be able to handle it? Thanks for any help you can give me.
2009 Kodiak 195. Absolute JUNK.
21 REPLIES 21

kamperdog
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm. Ok I see, well I wouldn't be running it constantly thats for sure, just as needed or when the batt was low. They also had a 3000/3250 propane generator there too (also champion) They had some larger Generacs as well. Hmmmm... I wasn't planning on getting one and just running off the battery but last year I had to hook the truck back up to it and charge the battery some after a few days of boondocking. I thought about getting a 2cnd battery and switch to flip it to the other one when it got low. Decisions, decisions...
2009 Kodiak 195. Absolute JUNK.

Matt_Colie
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK Kamper,

This is a machine that generates electricity the old fashioned way. That means that you not only don't need to smooth it out, but you pretty much can't.

It should run the mickeywave and the converter just fine and probably even at the same time. The A/C is another thing. The 1400/1800 means 1400 continues and 1800 surge. That could start a 13.5k BTU A/C, but it is real close. And, it won't do it with any other load.

So, if you can't try it without buying it, it is a crapshoot. Chinese stuff usually misses its rating.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I see it here all the time. Most people prefer to turn on the generator to give them the electrical comforts of having shore power, rather than learning to conserve a bit and allow the campground to remain quiet.

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know that there's some kind of in line "filter" you could use with a regular generator. We bought a Honda EU 3000 i Handi four years ago to make sure we wouldn't damage anything in our RV.

If budget is your biggest concern I'd buy a small 1,000 watt inverter style generator so you have something to power your (small) electrical needs and still be safe to use. Other wise there's always renting a generator that you might take along for a temporary solution.

Another consideration, make sure the campground you're going to will allow the use of generators. Here in WI they are banned.

Dan

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
A few things to consider.

1. The noise from that generator will irritate people even in distant campsites and you won't like it either.
2. Since it's not an inverter generator, you may wind up damaging some of your electrical products.
3. A name brand generator such as a Honda inverter is expensive, but they will run year after year if well maintained. A low $$ may only make it one season before it's shot.
4. I really doubt that the generator you're looking at will run your AC. It typically takes a 2K generator to handle the starting current.

Jim
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
The A/C is much higher than 536 w that is only about 5 amps. a 135000 A/c will be up around 10 amps or higher which is right around the rated running of the genny.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Your biggest problem will be noise and your neighbors in the next site. That generator is not as noisey as many, but certainly not super quiet either.