cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gets-you-home insurance?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have insurance that will get your family and/or rig home in case of emergency? Good Sam, or something else? What is the coverage, and what is the cost?

Have you ever had to use the insurance? Were you happy with the service?

I'm asking for myself, and because the issue came up in another thread so others might be wondering, too. It seems like it would be good to have one thread that lists all the choices people have found.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
15 REPLIES 15

thestoloffs
Explorer
Explorer
It seems like people are conflating several different types of insurance coverage.

Some plans will drive your vehicles home if your family doesn't have a skilled driver remaining; others will not. Some will provide air fare &/or hotel coverage for family members to be at bedside, if appropriate.

Some will cover air ambulance costs to take you from the accident scene to the closest hospital or clinic; some will cover it to the closest trauma center; and some will cover it all the way to your local trauma center or rehab facility near your home.

It's all a matter of reading the policy terms VERY CAREFULLY before signing on the bottom line -- long before you need to use it!

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
MASA Now when I bought it it was a single payment for life. IT did pay for my Gas bringing my wife's ashes home from South Carolina.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like Edd505's saying that coachnet is both, bundled together. Is that correct?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

navigator2346
Explorer
Explorer
Edd505 wrote:
Coachnet, one of the reasons I have them, they will get wife & RV home if needed. The plus is their road side assistance is top notch. 1st question has always been are you safely off the road. Major break down a few years back, tow truck for TV & 1 ton dully for the 5W. Sign the bill, asked driver what the cost was and was told $900 plus. They put the 5W in an RV park, and TV to the repair shop. Apologized for the time it took as the closest could handle the call was over an hour away from me. Took about 1.5-2.0 hrs before they where on scene.

You are refering to a towing service for your vehicles.

The OP was talking about emergency evacuation if you are incapicated

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Coachnet, one of the reasons I have them, they will get wife & RV home if needed. The plus is their road side assistance is top notch. 1st question has always been are you safely off the road. Major break down a few years back, tow truck for TV & 1 ton dully for the 5W. Sign the bill, asked driver what the cost was and was told $900 plus. They put the 5W in an RV park, and TV to the repair shop. Apologized for the time it took as the closest could handle the call was over an hour away from me. Took about 1.5-2.0 hrs before they where on scene.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the heads up, WatsnJa89!

I ended up going with the FMCA. And I ended up having to use it, this spring. I put in my claim in March, and haven't been refunded for my expenses yet. But they are still communicating by email. They said they are just extremely swamped because of covid.

I'll try to update here if anything ever happens.

WatsnJa89
Explorer
Explorer
Naio wrote:
Do you have insurance that will get your family and/or rig home in case of emergency? Good Sam, or something else? What is the coverage, and what is the cost?

Have you ever had to use the insurance? Were you happy with the service?

I'm asking for myself, and because the issue came up in another thread so others might be wondering, too. It seems like it would be good to have one thread that lists all the choices people have found.

Hey, buddy. I purchased home insurance from Geico so that to protect my house from natural disasters, vandals, and other things like that, which can damage my house. I had never ever had home insurance before and I tried to collect the information about companies with a good reputation and after that to decide what to do. Therefore, I started using the Internet. I made my decision after using Money Expert: https://www.moneyexpert.com/home-insurance/ This is the site that helps you to find a suitable variant for you according to your property, family, and location.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies,

Just got done talking to the SkyMed folks relative to your statement. Perhaps you should call them to clarify your statement.

I know we had lenghtly discussion with them when we purchased our plan. After reading your staement I'm glad I called to make sure I understood exactly what we had purchased. Your statement is not quite correct. Perhaps it has to do with the level of policy one purchases.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Naio,

In addition to Coach-Net ERS, we've considered this for medical emergencies and may eventually buy their device and service (not too expensive) for camping off the beaten path and when cell phones won't connect:

https://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=130

Here's another one to consider:

http://www.alwaysinreach.com.au/product-info/10-product/45-product-info-3
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Read the fine print on these plans. They are for EMERGENCIES AND DEATH. They are not going to come and drive your RV from A to B because you have a kidney stone, sprained ankle, etc. and your better half won't drive your RV to the nearest medical facility or doesn't know how to disconnect so she can drive you in the truck or car.

I think what the OP (Naio) is referring to is another post on this forum about both parties being able to drive the RV and do the hookups, if needed. This, I highly recommend.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had SkyMed for four years, haven't needed to use them yet. Will renew next Jan for another 5 years.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

kalynzoo
Explorer
Explorer
FMCA includes emergency evacuation in their membership.

golf_bears
Explorer
Explorer
We have SkyMed. We travel 8-9 months out of a year. We have a 40' 5th wheel. Wife does not drive the truck when RV is attached, so this policy is important to us. Look them up on the web.

https://www.skymed.com

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
We did some checking a few years back and the best we found with more to offer at a more reasonable cost was with;

Coach Net

which offered

Assist Amerrica

which was superior coverage what Good Sam and AAA offered at a more reasonable cost and coverage area.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU