cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting allergy injections while traveling

Linda_B
Explorer
Explorer
I am wondering if anyone else travels and needs monthly allergy shots. I have an allergy doctor at home who makes the serum and I can take it with me in the fridge of the motorhome - but just not sure who I can find to do the injections. It wouldn't work to get a new doctor every month when they always seem to need an initial appointment first. Anybody have any experience with this? Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11

mama_sylvia
Explorer
Explorer
Home health nursing is another possibility. An RN should be able to come to your RV and administer the injection and monitor you for an appropriate period of time afterward. Your doctor would have to send an order to the agency, but frankly he/she would most likely need to send an order to the clinic also. I'm an RN and none of the situations in which I worked would act on a letter from the doctor without verifying it - too easy to fake and liability is always an issue.
1988 Winnebago Superchief 27'

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Where are you going?
Yellowstone, for example has a clinic. I called them and they said they could do the injections.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
My allergy clinic also taught me to do my own injections. Just have to keep the serum in the refrigerator, have a responsible individual present that could call 911 if needed, and they had me keep an Epi-pen on hand when doing the injections.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

Linda_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much for your responses. Now I have some options to pursue. I'll do some more checking this week with my doctor about either providing documentation and/or teaching me how to do it myself. I saw that some Walgreens have clinics now but not where I'm going. Thanks again!

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have used walk-in clinics along our routes traveling. That would be my first thought. Proper documentation from doctor and med's Also, lots of drug stores now have mini clinics. Might look into that.

Edited by Barb

pegdiver
Explorer
Explorer
Gave myself allergy shots for years at home - epi-pen handy.
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F with 2012 Jeep Liberty toad.
Old - 1999 32' Adventurer (no slides) with Grand Vitara toad (105,000 miles!)
Pride 3 wheel mobility scooter
Only 3 states to go in the USA, Camped in most of Canada and 4 states in Mexico too!

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used to give myself allergy injections. I had to take lessons and keep an Epi-pen on hand in order to do it. My point is that it is possible with an okay from your doctor.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
What are you allergic too. Any way you can just avoid the allergen?

Linda_B
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas. From what I understand, it has to be done in a medical setting because of a potential reaction, no matter how long you've been getting the shots. In the past we stayed more or less in one area during the summer and I found a small clinic who would do it, but I had to become a patient of theirs and see their Dr. annually. I'll try calling a couple of walk-in clinics Monday randomly and see what they say. If anyone has been in this situation, traveling and needing monthly allergy injections, it would be interesting to hear how they've handled it.

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would think almost any walk-in clinic would do it. It would be a good idea to have a letter from your dr explaining the situation and verifying that your meds are valid.

Alternatively, you could learn to do it yourself. It's not the same as an insulin injection (those are given just under the skin) but it's not extremely difficult.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
If diabetics can inject themselves periodically why can't you?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)