cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Girls RV camping night out (overnight)

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
It is my wife's turn to host a group of ladies for their book club and they decided to go camping this Friday night. What they typically do at their book club meeting is share dishes, appetizers, wines, on top of their book discussion.

The group consists of 7 ladies, so our Jayco 32 BHDS will be perfect for their night out.

Keep in mind there are no RVers or campers in the group, but they come from all professions and backgrounds and are strong willed, goal oriented, problem solvers.

My question is or my only doubt is the ability to start a campfire. Not a charcoal grill fire, but a wood fire for smores or simply to hang out.

I am not worried at all and know they will have a great time.

Oh... I will set up the Jayco by the time they get out of work.
2011 Jayco Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 Ford F250 6.7L Turbo Diesel
Two 10'0 Kayaks
42 REPLIES 42

BigRabbitMan
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmmm, I seem to have the same problem that you have!

I was waiting to hear if they even gave any thought to lighting a fire or not. I expected not and I was correct. They didn't want messing with a fire to interrupt their good time.
BigRabbitMan
Gas to Diesel Conversion project
76 FMC #1046, Gas Pusher became a Diesel Pusher
Discussion thread on this site
"You're never too old to learn something stupid."

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Vvvv1010 wrote:
Forget the book, forget the wine, forget the campfire.

They had margaritas on the rocks, imported beer, great food, and stayed up until 3am. Also, sounds like some male campers and camp workers checked on them a few times. My wife said workers and campers were really nice at check in and thru the evening. Hmmmm...nobody has ever checked on me.

Wifey and her girlfriends had a great girls night out.

That's great to hear.

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the book, forget the wine, forget the campfire.

They had margaritas on the rocks, imported beer, great food, and stayed up until 3am. Also, sounds like some male campers and camp workers checked on them a few times. My wife said workers and campers were really nice at check in and thru the evening. Hmmmm...nobody has ever checked on me.

Wifey and her girlfriends had a great girls night out.
Two 10'0 Kayaks

FordDiesel250
Explorer
Explorer
My wife grew up with 10 brothers and sisters and they used to go camping on a regular basis in their starcraft popup. My FIL was a scoutmaster for 20 years and my DW could load a camper, start a fire, and cook a meal that would rival any restraint. I believe these 7 book club ladies will have no trouble starting a fire and fixing a meal and then enjoy a adult type of beverage Snarky comments aside women can and often surpass the male of the species

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
TyroneandGladys wrote:
The very best fire starter
Agreed! I bought one from Walmart's camping section for about $35. It's the best campfire investment I ever made.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have seen many new campers try to start a fire and fail. Their error. They don't know to use smaller wood to get it going and then add the bigger logs. If they have watched someone start a fire they should be able to handle it though. Oh- and the new campers - both men and women.

Mountain_Mama
Explorer
Explorer
Hope they have a great time!!
2003 Holiday Rambler Alumascape 34RLT

Vvvv1010
Explorer
Explorer
I did not see pretty wifey this afternoon since the plan was for me to set up camp and she and her girlfriends would arrive after work. She seemed very confident over the phone as I gave her a quick run down and the lighting of the fire briefly came up.

I tee-peed some locust firewood, left a box of fire starter sticks, and some charcoal fluid.

They're good. Was I over reacting earlier this week? Probably, but it is my job to make sure wifey's party is smooth and an enjoyable experience for them.
Two 10'0 Kayaks

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or maybe they have fireplaces in their homes or wood-burning stoves.

Or maybe they've seen it done enough to do it themselves.

Or maybe they're just smart enough to understand the effects of fire and what it takes get on going and keep it going.

Really it isn't that difficult to do...
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most likely those established ladies were all girl scouts at one time, like me, and starting a campfire is a non-issue.

goreds2
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Just buy a box of these fireplace logs. They work really well in a fire pit and all it takes is a match to get a fire.

https://smile.amazon.com/Duraflame-625-Firelog-Pack-2-5/dp/B011KW8W2E/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1473253...
That is what we use. We are 21st Century campers. Firelogs, NuWave Oven, Wolf Gang Puck Pressure cooker, Wolf Gang Puck Rice Cooker and NuWave Cooktop.

I have some friends wives doing the same thing sometime soon.
See Picture In My Profile
I have a 1989 Dodge XPLORER RV Class B - Purchased 10/15/10 IN CASH
Fiance' purchased a Class C 2002 Dynamax Carri-go on 5/1/15 IN CASH
We've got the best of both worlds

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
Fires often start accidentally...I sure hope they can start one intentionally
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
The very best fire starter
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

paddywanpeep
Explorer
Explorer
If they cant start a fire between 7 of them, then their problem solving skills suck